Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   It all comes down to color (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=253999)

Peter_Spaeth 04-19-2018 07:30 PM

It all comes down to color

In the plain old white border version, this is maybe a $300-or a little more.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2011-Topps-...vip=true&rt=nc

Leon 04-20-2018 08:49 AM

Nice manufactured value. :)

bnorth 04-20-2018 09:04 AM

Yep color makes a huge difference in price. I need a "red" bordered version to complete a rainbow. It is the /5 version and there is one on eBay now for about 2X what I paid for the 1/1 and one of the printing plates. Because of the manufactured rarity and the fact I may never see one again I am considering just paying the outrageous asking price.

Jim65 04-20-2018 09:06 AM

Precisely why I do not collect modern.

Leon 04-20-2018 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bnorth (Post 1769007)
Yep color makes a huge difference in price. I need a "red" bordered version to complete a rainbow. It is the /5 version and there is one on eBay now for about 2X what I paid for the 1/1 and one of the printing plates. Because of the manufactured rarity and the fact I may never see one again I am considering just paying the outrageous asking price.

Sorry but try saying that to someone unbeknownst to our affliction and they might LOL. I would say that with that statement you have been rightfully ensnared in a scam marketing ploy (to me).

HasselhoffsCheeseburger 04-20-2018 09:37 AM

Alert! Irony overload! Irony overload!

Arthur

ALR-bishop 04-20-2018 10:21 AM

Each year I get the Toops base set and any update to keep my run going. I also do the Topps Heritage "master set" each year, but that's it. So I am unfamiliar with most of the bells and whistle cards, their scarcity and value, except what I read here or on CU. I am often amazed by some of the prices paid, like this one.

Not sure I will make it to see, but wonder what cards like this will sell for in twenty years. Clearly some modern card collectors have money to spend on the hobby. Maybe they are speculators rather than collectors, but if so they seem to be daring speculators.

clydepepper 04-20-2018 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bnorth (Post 1769007)

Ben- why not just send me the money...I mean...I won't offer you anything in return...I just think it would be a better deal...and at least one of us would be happy.

DANGER, WILL ROBINSON! DANGER!

steve B 04-20-2018 04:12 PM

I'm not so sure these retail exclusives are manufactured rarity.
They aren't numbered, but are a version only offered by one retail chain and only at retail, usually in a specific product.

Because of that, I'd think that a fair number will have been bought by people who don't stick with collecting. So - low production, limited distribution, and probably a lower survival rate.
I see them more like some of the old regional issues.

Would I pay that big of a premium even if I could? Probably not. Does the presence or absence of an "exclusive" affect which sort of pack I buy at Target or Wherever? Yep, it sure does.

( I personally dislike the whole "manufactured rarity" downplaying, there's so many deliberately rare cards throughout the history of cards that saying it's a modern scam is to me a bit silly. )

HasselhoffsCheeseburger 04-21-2018 09:57 AM

Me and my super nerdy friends have gotten together and determined that your super nerdy way of collecting isn't cool, like our way. Our super nerdy way of collecting is the coooooolest. So you've been warned. Correct your collecting habits or become victim to the full wrath and force of our super cool nerdy way. We hang out down by the rock fence and our friend Jerry once even took a drag of a cigarette so you know we mean business. Also, from now on, you have to call Leon "General Zod" from now on and you have to call Clyde "Golden Eagle Fang Warrior."

You can't see but I just stuck my hand out to shake yours and then pulled it back before you could touch it.

Laser Nitro