Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Was Steve Carlton a racist and anti semite? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=254799)

Chuck9788 05-08-2018 10:36 AM

Was Steve Carlton a racist and anti semite?
 
I've read that HOF pitcher Steve Carlton was labeled as a racist and anti semite.

I've also read that he strongly denied the allegations.


Could anyone please help clear this issue up for me?

D. Bergin 05-08-2018 12:11 PM

A cursory look at Carlton on Google shows that perhaps he was/is a bit of a crackpot conspiracy theorist and he preferred to throw to Tim McCarver rather then Bob Boone.

Other then that, I would guess only people who really know him would know the answer to that, as he's been pretty tight-lipped throughout his life.

pclpads 05-08-2018 12:38 PM

A blanket allegation like that on a public forum such as this, implies - for the world to see - that he was both. If he was neither, you have done him a grave injustice, smearing his name, that a later, "Gosh, I was wrong and I'm sorry," would never correct. To make such an unattributed charge, you need to first cite your source(s) and not a "I've read that . . ." For that matter, why is it important if he was either and why does it matter to you?

Steve D 05-08-2018 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pclpads (Post 1774574)
A blanket allegation like that on a public forum such as this, implies - for the world to see - that he was both. If he was neither, you have done him a grave injustice, smearing his name, that a later, "Gosh, I was wrong and I'm sorry," would never correct. To make such an unattributed charge, you need to first cite your source(s) and not a "I've read that . . ." For that matter, why is it important if he was either and why does it matter to you?


+1

At an absolute minimum, this seems like one of those posts where the person should be required to post their real name, as opposed to hiding behind a forum id.

Steve

packs 05-08-2018 03:48 PM

These allegations come from an article Pat Jordan wrote years ago for Philadelphia magazine. Carlton said he never said what he was quoted as saying. No comments on the comments but I enjoyed Pat Jordan's book "A False Spring" and he has been a member of the media and sports journalism for a long time.

I was able to track down the original article text: https://thestacks.deadspin.com/thin-...d-co-478492324

Chuck9788 05-08-2018 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve D (Post 1774652)
+1

At an absolute minimum, this seems like one of those posts where the person should be required to post their real name, as opposed to hiding behind a forum id.

Steve

The original post was a fair question. My name is Chuck, why would my full name be important in any way?!?


Carlton Denies He Made Anti-Semitic Comments
http://articles.latimes.com/1994-04-..._steve-carlton


Pitcher and Reporter Are at Odds over Alleged Anti-semitic Remarks
http://articles.latimes.com/1994-04-..._steve-carlton


Carlton denies anti-Semitic comments, apologizes
https://www.upi.com/Archives/1994/04...2772766296000/

bigj7489 05-08-2018 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chuck9788 (Post 1774678)
The original post was a fair question. My name is Chuck, why would my full name be important in any way?!?

Because you're using his.

clydepepper 05-08-2018 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigj7489 (Post 1774689)
Because you're using his.



That's okay, we'll just call you, appropriately, Chuck 'n Duck!

CW 05-08-2018 06:34 PM

Chuck, the OP, did not give his opinion of Steve Carlton, did he? He's just asking a question.

sincerely,
Chuck
:)

ALR-bishop 05-09-2018 07:59 AM

All I know about Mr Carlton is that the Cardinals had him and somehow thought trading him for Rick "Wise" was a good idea. :(


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:34 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.