NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you give an opinion of a person or company your full name needs to be in your post. Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 05-16-2018, 05:47 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark70Z View Post
Some really nice items! Always thought those Salada shields were cool and the Clemente Vitalas photo is NICE! Of course Im glad someone finally posted an Orioles card as well 😳. Yes; the Os should have won that Series (also 79...).
Your O's got Blass-sted.
http://s1036.photobucket.com/user/elmjack44/library/

I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.
Casey Stengel
Old 05-17-2018, 10:01 AM

Day 138

I mentioned in an earlier post that I don't collect a lot of newer Clemente items, but I do collect patches with Roberto if I like the way they look. Although the next items are relatively new, they were produced in very limited quantities and aren't offered too often.

2017 Boy Scouts National Jamboree patches...

Old 05-17-2018, 08:53 PM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
Your O's got Blass-sted.
😳

Its funny (not ha ha funny...) how I dont hate the Pirates for winning the WS (even though the Os should have won!), but STILL hate the Mets!!

Doc... those patches creep me out a tad bit 😎
Old 05-17-2018, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark70Z View Post
😳

Its funny (not ha ha funny...) how I dont hate the Pirates for winning the WS (even though the Os should have won!), but STILL hate the Mets!!

Doc... those patches creep me out a tad bit 😎
Lol Mark,

I swear they don't look as creepy in person *goes to check*.......welllllll, yes they do, but only a little bit.
Old 05-18-2018, 01:47 AM
Mike

Amateur snap shot of Clemente's 3000th hit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo_1.jpg (78.7 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg photo_2.jpg (75.8 KB, 77 views)

If you have any 1971 Pirate regular season game stubs (home or away games) please let me know what have!
Old 05-18-2018, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71buc View Post
Amateur snap shot of Clemente's 3000th hit.

That's an awesome photo Mike!

Day 139

1984 Pittsburgh Pirates pocket schedule...

Old 05-18-2018, 08:18 PM
ThreadKiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71buc View Post
This silver 1971 Latin American player of the year award is one of the items I picked up at the last Hunt auction. I bid on it despite the photographs which revealed heavy tarnish and oxidation to the silver. I landed it fairly cheaply. When it arrived it was barely legible the color was essential black and gray. Which is likely why I obtained it so cheaply. I dipped it in a sodium aluminum bath and the tarnish and much of the oxidation disappeared. I will likely invest in a professional cleaning down the road. Nonetheless I am thrilled to add it to my 1971 Pirate collection. The shape is highly reflective and picks up color in a pretty cool fashion. It also makes it difficult to take a picture of the engraved text. I have posted multiple pictures to display this.
obviously forever Altered ! disgusting! (j/k - beautiful piece - congrats!
Old 05-19-2018, 08:38 AM
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourStrikes View Post
obviously forever Altered ! disgusting! (j/k - beautiful piece - congrats!
Thanks, I have been torn about restoration. I found a Seattle based silversmith who does amazing work. He is currently working on a Jabbar trophy. I decided that I wanted the platter to look like it did when it was given to Clemente. The condition right now is acceptable but it could be much more attractive. Right now it is reflective but due to oxidation and tarnish, caused by what I assume was humidity the text doesn't stand out like it should. I guess In the end its my mistake to make. I don't think cleaning or restoring effects it value or meaning to my collection.

If you have any 1971 Pirate regular season game stubs (home or away games) please let me know what have!
Old 05-19-2018, 01:01 PM

Day 140

1962 Topps regular issue, leader and team cards...

Old 05-19-2018, 11:43 PM

The '62 regular issue brings back memories for me. It was the first real Clemente I ever acquired (not counting the '87 Kmart card, etc).

Late '80s, begged mom to drive 45 min across town to a card shop I learned existed, the only one around and I had never been to one before. It was called "collector's corner" (which at the time seemed unique and remarkably clever [it was actually on a street corner]).

Was probably going for Griffeys, not Clemente, which I think I figured wasn't possible anymore, but then here was this magical place that had all sorts of stuff, not just new stuff, but old stuff too, which prior I just hadn't imagined, only experiencing wax packs from the supermarket aisle.

Then there in a top loader under the glass beside Mays' and Mantles, etc., was a '62 T Clemente (even then the wood grain border made it easy to remember which year was which from price guide pics). The sticker price was $8, and as I recall it had fairly rounded corners and so in hindsight was fair to moderately overpriced, but to me seemed like such a great find (I was not in Pittsburgh at the time and was hours from a major metro area with a serious sports culture).

Long story short, it took several years of saving up b-day money and summer neighborhood jobs to complete a basic issue run, but I did. I don't really recall which one I picked up second or beyond, but I'll always remember that the '62 came first.