NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you give an opinion of a person or company your full name needs to be in your post. Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 11-16-2017, 11:03 PM

Arrow Is it worth the trouble to build vintage sets?

I like to spend the time to make sure I get high grade cards for my sets.
I build these sets card by card and often catch myself upgrading if I see a corner I don't like, etc.
However, I see that a lot of people don't like collecting sets because, as they say, "A set is only as good as the sum of it's parts."
What if each card really is nrmt?
Any thoughts?
Old 11-17-2017, 12:35 AM

Default Yes, it's worth the trouble

In my opinion, collecting a vintage set is worth the trouble when you keep the condition consistent for each card in the set. For example, Near Mint with no worse than 65/35 centering. You'll probably spend more than what you would if you just bought the set, but it's hard to find a high grade set that's consistent from card #1 all the way through anyway. They rarely show up for sale or at auction. Most nice sets that do make it for sale or at auction have some percentage of "problem" cards that need upgrading.
Old 11-17-2017, 12:47 AM
K. Mitchell

For my answer, you can see my EBAY STORE...Where my 52-79 Topps set run is listed. Got to be too much chasing all those commons around...
FOLLOW on Twitter: https://twitter.com/CardsFromAttic
3 Completed Sales on the Forum. 23 Completed Trades on the Forum.
Old 11-17-2017, 08:45 AM
Patrick N.

Default Lose

I think you will almost always lose, which is why I don't do it anymore. I think someone on here had a break down of some sets and the overall set value was like 60-70% of the singles listed i.e. if the '72 BB set books $2500 if you added it up card by card from book the number was much higher like 3K+(you get the idea). So even if you carefully pick up the cards 1 by 1 until completion you are already 30-40% in the hole when trying to resell if selling the whole set in one transaction.

I think the only way you could get someone to pay a handsome amt on a whole set is if the raw mantle clemente etc. were drop dead gorgeous, and what are the chances you will be able to finish a raw set with a 7+ quality of Mantle?

Last edited by mintacular; 11-17-2017 at 08:52 AM.
Old 11-17-2017, 09:30 AM
Al Richter

I have collected all Topps, Bowman and Fleer sets plus variations, all ungraded. But I have never had the expectation of selling them at a profit or viewed them as an investment. Just an expensive hobby that will be a windfall to some folks when I am gone.
Old 11-17-2017, 09:43 AM
Robert D!ll!ngham

Here's the analysis I did using Beckett high values:

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=183323

To build a set card by card will always be a losing proposition from a financial standpoint. The whole is cheaper than the sum of its parts.

However, we're all collectors here and enjoy the thrill of the chase. If you enjoy building a set card by card, then do it. But understand it's probably costing you a little money.

I think the '72 set is a perfect example. You can buy a decent mid grade set for a little less than $1k. There's 130 high numbers in a '72 set that will each run you $3-5...some slightly more so just the highs will cost around $600. Then you've still got 656 more cards to chase including Mays, Ryan, Clemente, Aaron, Rose, etc.
Old 11-17-2017, 10:27 AM
Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
I have collected all Topps, Bowman and Fleer sets plus variations, all ungraded. But I have never had the expectation of selling them at a profit or viewed them as an investment. Just an expensive hobby that will be a windfall to some folks when I am gone.
I agree 100%. I collect for enjoyment, not investment.

When I die the enjoyment dies with me. I've already instructed my son that when I'm gone the cards are all his and he is to immediately sell them for whatever he can (it's all 100% profit for him) and spend it on something memorable and enjoyable for him.

That way three people get something out of the collection (myself, my son, the person he sells them to). Hard to see a downside there.

If your hobby is about how much money you can make from it, that's not a hobby.

1949 Bowman Set (125 cards needed)
1947 Bond Bread (29 cards needed)
1946 Caramelo Deportivo (5 cards needed)
Old 11-17-2017, 10:54 AM
Jay T.

It matters how you build the set. I seek good deals on lots. For example, I got a nice 1957 Lot a couple of months ago with 360 or the 407 base cards for $230. This included most of the high numbers and 23 hall of famers. The shape on the cards was mostly ExMt. It left me from needing about 150 or more cards to be upgraded to Ex to needing 17 cards needing to be upgraded to ExMt.
As you upgrade, you can sell off what you had and possibly recoup some of that money.
Its easier to build by lots than by individuals. Also, its easier to build the set first then the shape later. You can be more discriminate on when you'll buy and how much you'll pay.
Old 11-17-2017, 12:52 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdill2 View Post
Here's the analysis I did using Beckett high values:

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=183323

To build a set card by card will always be a losing proposition from a financial standpoint. The whole is cheaper than the sum of its parts.

However, we're all collectors here and enjoy the thrill of the chase. If you enjoy building a set card by card, then do it. But understand it's probably costing you a little money.

I think the '72 set is a perfect example. You can buy a decent mid grade set for a little less than $1k. There's 130 high numbers in a '72 set that will each run you $3-5...some slightly more so just the highs will cost around $600. Then you've still got 656 more cards to chase including Mays, Ryan, Clemente, Aaron, Rose, etc.

^^Great price break down in the other thread^^
Buying it already completed is way cheaper. Not only do you pay way more for just the cards you have to add in all that shipping.

I am almost done with a 55 Bowman. I received at least 1/3 of the cards for free including most of the star players. With what I have into the rest of the set including shipping I could have bought a complete set in better condition.

I will say the experience of putting a set together is well worth the price.

Last edited by bnorth; 11-17-2017 at 12:53 PM.
Old 11-17-2017, 03:52 PM
Steve

Default +1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
Same here, minus the Fleer.