NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you give an opinion of a person or company your full name needs to be in your post. Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 10-21-2018, 07:11 AM
Matthew
Ma.tt Wy.llie

I agree with everything Mark posted. Well said.

With all due respect, if Tristar was almost sold out then why are you posting on this board and multiple Facebook boards about this signing every day. Also, I think it is fair game to let other board members know the disclaimer that Tri-Star has put on the signing. It says that they cannot guarantee autograph placement, quality of the autograph, pen selection, etc. So if you’re going to send in your cherished 500 homerun club ball, please keep that in mind. I have never seen that disclaimer on any other signing. Just want to make sure people are going into this signing with eyes wide open.

Last edited by jimjim; 10-22-2018 at 06:22 AM.
Old 10-21-2018, 10:17 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

My favorite part is the speculation of future value. Has a living multi signed item ever even sold for more than the cost of all the signatures? Look at all the 300 win or 500 hr lithos. It's always seemed like an exercise in futility. Granted you can cite one example, but look at all the other data. For a personal collection, you cant put a price on that. I paid to get Erskine and branca on my 1952 topps, just to meet them. I probably paid 4x what I could have had them on Ebay for

"Trolling Ebay right now"
Old 10-24-2018, 01:05 AM
Jonathan Sterling

The items for the Griffey Jr. signing need to be in Houston by Thursday Oct 26 THIS Thursday. I think that explains why the ads and postings were popping up all over. As a collector who has missed out on a number of private signing events simply because I found out to late. The more ads the better. I will post my ball here when it is returned..
J.
Old 11-06-2018, 12:05 PM

Default Screw Griffey and Tristar

I threw up in my mouth while reading the "I pay the same price as you" bullsh*t. Why not just advertise your signing and spare us your storytelling. Griffey Jr is a jerk, it's widely known and will most likely never change. And you should all prepare yourself to be robbed when Jeter is inducted, he is another money hungry douchebag who will gouge his fans at every turn. All of those who continue to pay these exorbitant prices, expecting future windfalls, deserve to be robbed.
Old 11-07-2018, 06:24 AM
Matthew
Ma.tt Wy.llie

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynbaseball View Post
I threw up in my mouth while reading the "I pay the same price as you" bullsh*t. Why not just advertise your signing and spare us your storytelling. Griffey Jr is a jerk, it's widely known and will most likely never change. And you should all prepare yourself to be robbed when Jeter is inducted, he is another money hungry douchebag who will gouge his fans at every turn. All of those who continue to pay these exorbitant prices, expecting future windfalls, deserve to be robbed.
Lol. +1
Old 11-10-2018, 09:29 PM
Tho.mas Car.ter

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynbaseball View Post
Yup.
Old 11-11-2018, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordstan View Post
I think there are 2 perspectives to look at this type of subject.

The first is the value of getting him, or any player really, on an item that you personally want. This argument throws money out the window as if the item is important to you, you might pay ridiculous amounts because of that personal attachment. Paying $450 for Griffey, or $600 for Jeter, etc becomes an emotional choice. As Jonathan said, he wants to add players he enjoyed watching. Personally I have "overpaid" for autos for this reason and see nothing wrong with it.

The second is the question of intrinsic and/or resale value. What I mean is how will adding a sig to an item change the sale price of that item should you go to sell it in the future. Using Griffey as an example, IMO, there are some situations where adding his sig to a 500 hr ball would be worth it and some that are not. From a financial value standpoint, a 500 HR ball with 12 sigs would certainly sell for more than one with 11, but there is no way in my mind that it would be $450 more regardless of who the extra HOFer is except for perhaps Mantle and Williams. IMO, I just don't think adding Griffey to a ball with 11 signatures will add $450 to the selling price. On the other hand, adding him to a ball with 23, to complete it, may very well push the price significantly higher than the $450 paid for Griffey.
Steiner is a great example to use. Most of their items can be purchased on ebay for significantly less than their original selling price. Many can be had for half. Going back to my first point, sending something that has personal meaning to you is judged on an entirely different scale. Paying $600 for Jeter to signed the foul ball you caught may be worth every penny. Paying $600 for a generic signed ball that you hope to resell at some point is not.

Here are some times I "overpaid."

I paid $375 to add Aaron as the final sig to this magazine

I paid $800 to add Ali to this magazine. (Yes. That tiny sig above his photo)

Would I do both again? Yep.

Well said, Mark.
Several other posters had good points as well.
Old 11-12-2018, 11:45 AM
Mike Rich@rds0n

I agree with Mark, especially if you need just one or two to complete a project, but for me I have a HOF book that I try to get any living hall of famer in. Since signings in Calif are few and far between, that leaves me with shows like the Baseball HOF show in July. If I go every 5 or 6 years, that leaves me with sometimes 12 - 15 hof'ers to catch up on...and with the new guys like Jeter and Griffey jr. charging so much, it's just getting too much (also add in the fact that I collect single signed balls...agghhhhh!). Anyway, it comes down to where I'd rather put my money.