NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you give an opinion of a person or company your full name needs to be in your post. Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-28-2017, 05:40 PM
irv's Avatar
irv irv is offline
D@le Irv*n
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Ontario, Canada.
Posts: 2,639
Default 1991 Score. Any value or just junk wax?

My neighbor just gave me a incomplete set of 91 Score cards. Said he son collected them years ago but no longer wants them. I took them, mainly due to the binder and the sheets thinking most likely these are likely junk wax?

I haven't looked anything up yet, just got them, but any info good or bad would be appreciated.

The cards are a mix of green and blacks with some rookie cards but no notable names that I seen.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-28-2017, 06:28 PM
swarmee's Avatar
swarmee swarmee is offline
J0hn Raff3rty
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Niceville FL
Posts: 1,751
Default

Junk wax. Although if they were unopened, there's a miniscule chance to get a Mickey Mantle autographed card.

http://www.baseballcardpedia.com/index.php/1991_Score

A couple of errors to look for and a Chipper Jones rookie. Looks like the majority of errors were never corrected.
__________________
--
Current Want to Buy/Trade for List:
1910 Murad College Series ("No. __" on front variations) #4,5,11,14,23
1930s Phoebe Phelps Caramel Pennant of Georgia Tech
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-28-2017, 07:41 PM
steve B steve B is offline
Steve Birmingham
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: eastern Mass.
Posts: 4,099
Default

Value can be really weird.

I got a big batch of 91 score as packing material for a batch of British cards I bought. Like maybe 1500-2000 loose cards plus what I think was a set in a binder. Figured them as having nearly no value and put the batch out at a yard sale for $20, figuring I'd take whatever offer there was. Had some other junk out too also at what I thought were pretty high prices. Got there later than opening the day of the sale and asked mom why she hadn't put the cards out. They sold in under 10 minutes for whatever I had them marked at. A very pleasant surprise.


Steve B
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-29-2017, 10:41 AM
irv's Avatar
irv irv is offline
D@le Irv*n
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Ontario, Canada.
Posts: 2,639
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
Junk wax. Although if they were unopened, there's a miniscule chance to get a Mickey Mantle autographed card.

http://www.baseballcardpedia.com/index.php/1991_Score

A couple of errors to look for and a Chipper Jones rookie. Looks like the majority of errors were never corrected.
These were already opened, and I assume were purchased in packs rather than boxes or complete sets.

I went through them and seen no notables nor any Mickey's, unfortunately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
Value can be really weird.

I got a big batch of 91 score as packing material for a batch of British cards I bought. Like maybe 1500-2000 loose cards plus what I think was a set in a binder. Figured them as having nearly no value and put the batch out at a yard sale for $20, figuring I'd take whatever offer there was. Had some other junk out too also at what I thought were pretty high prices. Got there later than opening the day of the sale and asked mom why she hadn't put the cards out. They sold in under 10 minutes for whatever I had them marked at. A very pleasant surprise.


Steve B
I assume those who bought them, like me, didn't know much about them?

My neighbor, who I also work with, said he paid a $1000 for a big pile of baseball cards he got off his brother in law, who paid $500 for them 10 yrs ago. I asked from what years they were and he stated early 90's.

I politely told him he likely way over paid for them as most are considered junk wax due to there being a ton of them of out there. He shrugged his shoulders and said $1000.00 is hardly anything anymore!
I let it ride and didn't say anything more but thought to myself, it must be nice not to think a $1000 isn't a lot of money.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-29-2017, 06:47 PM
Bestdj777 Bestdj777 is offline
Chris
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: New York
Posts: 1,913
Default

Careful about using the sheets. Not sure when they switch to the modern composition but can't some of the older ones damage cards?
__________________
Mantle Master Set: 424/425 (need yellow Holiday Inn matchbook)
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-29-2017, 07:08 PM
swarmee's Avatar
swarmee swarmee is offline
J0hn Raff3rty
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Niceville FL
Posts: 1,751
Default

'52s won't fit in them anyways. But yes, old sheets not made of mylar can seep into cards. However, I figure most of those sheets have already turned yellow or turned sticky from degrading.
__________________
--
Current Want to Buy/Trade for List:
1910 Murad College Series ("No. __" on front variations) #4,5,11,14,23
1930s Phoebe Phelps Caramel Pennant of Georgia Tech
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-30-2017, 09:24 AM
irv's Avatar
irv irv is offline
D@le Irv*n
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Ontario, Canada.
Posts: 2,639
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
'52s won't fit in them anyways. But yes, old sheets not made of mylar can seep into cards. However, I figure most of those sheets have already turned yellow or turned sticky from degrading.
I don't really have any cards to place in those sheets anyway but from the looking I have done with them, they are all still crystal clear.

The binder, PAX, Card Collector's Album, is in great shape however and I'll likely put it to good use.

Thanks for the info.
Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:49 AM.


ebay GSB