NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you give an opinion of a person or company your full name needs to be in your post. Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 10-14-2018, 07:01 PM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalupacollects View Post
Somehow you will need to find a John Amirante! Best singer of the national anthem bar none...
Yep.

RIP, John.
Old 10-15-2018, 03:24 AM
Bob Davies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordstan View Post
I am going to expand my Rangers collection to include the 1979-1980 team as well. They lost to the Canadiens in the finals. It was one of the most exciting and improbable playoff runs that I experienced.
I remember it well. However (apologies on this) it was 1979. I went to the first two games in the old Forum, and was cheering for the Rangers. Growing up in Montreal, my two favorite teams were Chicago, and whoever was playing the Canadiens.

Rangers won the first game convincingly too.

Love the hockey talk here, and the signed pucks. Very cool. A good trip down memory lane.
Old 10-15-2018, 08:42 AM
Mark V.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampsfan View Post
I remember it well. However (apologies on this) it was 1979. I went to the first two games in the old Forum, and was cheering for the Rangers. Growing up in Montreal, my two favorite teams were Chicago, and whoever was playing the Canadiens.

Love the hockey talk here, and the signed pucks. Very cool. A good trip down memory lane.
Bob,
You are correct about the Year. Not sure how I got that wrong, but thanks for the correction.
Regardless of the year, it was a great run. I can still see that Potvin cheap shot on Nilsson. Every Rangers fan I know still thinks his injury cost us the cup. "Potvin Sucks"

Other interests/sets/collectibles.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/96571220@N08/albums

My for sale or trade photobucket album
https://flic.kr/s/aHsk7c1SRL
Old 10-15-2018, 10:29 AM
Br.ent So.bie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampsfan View Post

Your two favourite teams while in Montreal were Chicago, and WHOEVER was playing the Habs??
....so at what point did you get run out of town?
Old 10-15-2018, 10:44 AM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordstan View Post
"Potvin Sucks"
Absolutely, I chanted that at times .
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 10-17-2018, 09:32 PM
Mark V.

Ask and ye shall receive. Dick Duff and John Amirante

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Other interests/sets/collectibles.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/96571220@N08/albums

My for sale or trade photobucket album
https://flic.kr/s/aHsk7c1SRL

Last edited by Lordstan; 10-17-2018 at 09:32 PM.
Old 10-17-2018, 11:04 PM
Christopher Williams

Default Rid Gilbert and Nick Fotiu

GilbertFotiu.jpg
Old 10-17-2018, 11:23 PM

Nice. Very impressive. I worked several years with former Ranger goalie Doug Soetaert
Old 10-18-2018, 03:13 PM
Bob Davies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huysmans View Post
Your two favourite teams while in Montreal were Chicago, and WHOEVER was playing the Habs??
....so at what point did you get run out of town?
LOL Quite a few years ago.

I grew up in the east end of Montreal, as an English guy. It was a tough area. I was about a 20 minute walk to the Olympic Stadium, and eventually many people in the city wouldn't go to the stadium for a number of reasons, one being it was stuck so far in the East End of the city.

As kids, many of us English kids cheered for teams other than the Canadiens, and many English did cheer for them. I grew up in the Bobby Orr era, and I knew a lot of Boston fans at that time. The English / French dynamic of that city and province are difficult to explain if you've not lived in "deux solitudes".

Safe to say, I was a huge Expos and Alouettes fan, just not so much a Canadiens fan.

Last edited by Stampsfan; 10-18-2018 at 03:25 PM.
Old 10-18-2018, 03:23 PM
Bob Davies

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDice View Post
Nice. Very impressive. I worked several years with former Ranger goalie Doug Soetaert
A good friend of mine married a cousin of Doug Soetaert, and was at their wedding. He was playing for the Canadiens at the time, and we were all playing industrial hockey (including the groom). I played goal for the team, and ended up striking a conversation with Doug. Now imagine, to me, this guy is living the dream.

So I ask him "When you're done playing in the NHL, are you gonna play afterwards?"
He looks at me and said "When I'm done in the NHL, I'm throwing my equipment over a cliff." He then goes on to tell me how tired he is of all aspects of hockey and the NHL.

I've often thought about that exchange that was over 25 years ago. I imagine he never did put his pads on again once he was done. And now me, I'm pushing 60 and still playing semi-competitive against 30-40 year olds. I love going out for 50 or more every winter with the guys, breaking a good sweat, and having a beer afterwards. I cannot imagine not having that out from life.