NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you give an opinion of a person or company your full name needs to be in your post. Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-08-2016, 02:11 PM
nat's Avatar
nat nat is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 481
Default What do you do when you spot a reprint on ebay?

So I was looking around on ebay and ran into this: Questionable Home Run Baker.


This looks like a reprint to me. The words "Cracker Jack" are cut off by the border of the card, and in my (admittedly limited) experience, I've only ever seen that on reprints.

Compare to the legit one that PSA has on-line.

So, if this really is a reprint, what do you do? Send the seller a message and hope that they say "oops, honest mistake" and correct the listing? I'd rather not get involved, but I also don't want somebody to unknowingly buy a reprint, and don't want reprints circulating around in the hobby. (Also, given my limited experience with Cracker Jacks, I'm not 100% sure it is a reprint, and so wouldn't say anything unless someone who knows better confirms my suspicion.)
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-08-2016, 02:27 PM
White Borders's Avatar
White Borders White Borders is offline
Craig Wright
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: South-Central Kansas
Posts: 625
Default

It's a reprint. You can email the seller and give him the opportunity to correct the listing.
__________________
craig_w67217@yahoo.com
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-08-2016, 02:34 PM
ullmandds's Avatar
ullmandds ullmandds is online now
pete ullman
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: saint paul, mn
Posts: 8,111
Default

i do nothing...if I felt the need to take action on every suspect card I see on ebay id have no time to take a sh%t!

caveat emptor people.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-08-2016, 03:00 PM
jcmtiger's Avatar
jcmtiger jcmtiger is offline
Joe M.
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,506
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
i do nothing...if I felt the need to take action on every suspect card I see on ebay id have no time to take a sh%t!

caveat emptor people.
+1

Joe
__________________
"Ty Cobb, Spikes Flying"

Collecting Detroit 19th Century N172, N173, N175.

Positive transactions with Joe G, Jay Miller, CTANK80, BIGFISH, MGHPRO, k. DIXON, LEON, INSIDETHEWRAPPER, GOCUBSGO32, Steve Suckow, RAINIER2004, Ben Yourg, GNAZ01, yanksrnice09, cmiz5290
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-08-2016, 03:00 PM
ALR-bishop ALR-bishop is offline
Al Richter
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 5,801
Default Time

Pete-- if you have a smart phone or I Pad you can do both
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-08-2016, 03:11 PM
Stonepony's Avatar
Stonepony Stonepony is offline
Dave_Berg
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: STL
Posts: 1,532
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
Pete-- if you have a smart phone or I Pad you can do both
That is funny!!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-08-2016, 03:11 PM
mechanicalman's Avatar
mechanicalman mechanicalman is online now
Sam Sw@rtz
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 885
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
Pete-- if you have a smart phone or I Pad you can do both
Why ruin a good trip to the throne?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-08-2016, 03:19 PM
ullmandds's Avatar
ullmandds ullmandds is online now
pete ullman
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: saint paul, mn
Posts: 8,111
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
Pete-- if you have a smart phone or I Pad you can do both
haha...I usually do!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-08-2016, 03:20 PM
Zach Wheat Zach Wheat is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,251
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nat View Post
So I was looking around on ebay and ran into this: Questionable Home Run Baker.


This looks like a reprint to me. The words "Cracker Jack" are cut off by the border of the card, and in my (admittedly limited) experience, I've only ever seen that on reprints.

Compare to the legit one that PSA has on-line.

So, if this really is a reprint, what do you do? Send the seller a message and hope that they say "oops, honest mistake" and correct the listing? I'd rather not get involved, but I also don't want somebody to unknowingly buy a reprint, and don't want reprints circulating around in the hobby. (Also, given my limited experience with Cracker Jacks, I'm not 100% sure it is a reprint, and so wouldn't say anything unless someone who knows better confirms my suspicion.)
Buyer beware. There are so many reprints - it is tough to report them all.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-08-2016, 04:05 PM
ajjohnsonsoxfan ajjohnsonsoxfan is offline
A.J. Johnson
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,045
Default

the easiest giveaway is the color of the jersey doesn't match the borders
Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ebay - Another obvious reprint I Only Smoke 4 the Cards Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions 5 01-19-2014 07:10 PM
T205: How to spot a reprint Archive Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions 7 03-07-2009 01:33 PM
Link on eBay-How to spot a counterfeit card Archive Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions 8 11-03-2007 04:38 PM
W560 - how do you spot a reprint? Archive Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions 6 12-11-2005 08:03 PM
How Do You Spot a 1915 Cracker Jack Reprint?? Archive Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions 8 10-16-2003 01:27 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:25 PM.


ebay GSB