NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you give an opinion of a person or company your full name needs to be in your post. Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 08-30-2016, 12:01 PM
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnkzBoyd View Post
Thanks. I was looking at a 52 Berk Ross on ebay and there is a decently priced Sgc 84/7 but I see the the PSA 7 has gone for $200+ more than the sgc recently. Seemed a big gap to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sounds about right to me. I don't have any empirical evidence, but especially I think with more obscure sets (like Berk Ross) it's not uncommon to see the comprable SGC card priced reasonably, and the PSA card a good deal higher.
Old 08-30-2016, 12:23 PM
T@yl0r $ch0ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchcollins View Post
Sounds about right to me. I don't have any empirical evidence, but especially I think with more obscure sets (like Berk Ross) it's not uncommon to see the comprable SGC card priced reasonably, and the PSA card a good deal higher.
Hmmmm... The idea that PSA is a good deal higher for more obscure sets and slightly higher for 'common' sets would give quite a bit of credence to the idea that biggest draw for PSA graded cards is the registry and not necessarily the grading. Obviously 1 or 2 cards doesn't prove this, but if the trend is there, it would be a good indication that the registry is the main driver of this, and the higher prices garnered is a side effect of the registry rush.
Old 08-30-2016, 01:49 PM
John

Again, I have no proof per se - but just saying if a card or group of cards from a particular set is less commonly available than others, in general I would expect the PSA graded cards to sell for more than SGC.
Old 08-30-2016, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tschock View Post
Hmmmm... The idea that PSA is a good deal higher for more obscure sets and slightly higher for 'common' sets would give quite a bit of credence to the idea that biggest draw for PSA graded cards is the registry and not necessarily the grading. Obviously 1 or 2 cards doesn't prove this, but if the trend is there, it would be a good indication that the registry is the main driver of this, and the higher prices garnered is a side effect of the registry rush.
I do believe the registry is the main driver of PSA graded cards. A very smart move by PSA to have people grade cards they otherwise wouldnt. When you have something where people compete just to say they have the best you will have fierce competition. Cards that were irrelevant have now become relevant. As long as PSA has a registry they will always be the most popular. Popular doesnt always mean the best though, that like grading is subjective.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
Old 08-30-2016, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal View Post
PSA has always outperformed SGC prices for postwar cards, especially commons due to the number of set registry collectors.

SGC has always been consistent with grading, in my opinion. PSA has apparently tightened the consistency screw in recent years, and that consistent grading is evident in the marketplace. Both companies have their share of mistakes as well.

When you take everything into consideration (grading, customer service, holders, website, etc) I give the nod to PSA.

I admittedly haven't worked with them personally, but I was under the impression that PSA customer service is virtually non-existent? For instance , they don't respond to questions about obvious fakes/forgeries, or really don't even acknowledge they exist? Is there truth to that allegation?

Old 08-31-2016, 05:52 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

Is it really customer service if you're not a customer? They do respond to their customers (submitters), but it has been slow and annoying (for thing like trying to get mislabeled cards fixed. Their customer service people aren't really "card" people and have the knowledge to answer your questions. Those people have to send them up the chain, in my experience.

The Registry Set team is actually very responsive and knows more about cards.
1910 Painted handkerchief of GA Tech pennant girl by F. Earl Christy sold by Atlanta Toy Museum on eBay circa 2000.
COMC store: https://www.comc.com/Users/mjohnatgt,sh,i100
Old 08-31-2016, 06:54 AM
D@v!d J@m3s

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
Is it really customer service if you're not a customer?

Uhhh, yeah. Customer service is not only for customers, it's for potential customers too. That's not just true of PSA, it's true of any business.
Old 08-31-2016, 07:07 AM
Ben W.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattjc1983 View Post
I admittedly haven't worked with them personally, but I was under the impression that PSA customer service is virtually non-existent? For instance , they don't respond to questions about obvious fakes/forgeries, or really don't even acknowledge they exist? Is there truth to that allegation?

IMO it depends on who you are working with for customer service. Like any other company they run the gamut from not so good to amazing. They do respond to fakes and overgrades quite well. I have been compensated (vouchers) for fake cards that were slabbed. And I have an overgrade case with them right now that customer service has been awesome to work with.
Old 08-31-2016, 08:23 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

If SGC cards sell for substantially less in the same condition why not buy the SGC cards? Seems like a deal to me. You can always cross them over. I purchased an SGC card in 2015 for 40% less than a comparable PSA card, crossed it to PSA and sold it for a multiple of what I paid for it. Seems like a viable hole to exploit in the system.
Old 08-31-2016, 08:40 AM

The folks at PSA Customer Service who answer the phones are good people. They honestly try to do everything that is in their power to please the customer. (be prepared, though, for a 20-30 minute wait to get through).

Problem there is that Customer Service is a pretty black and white position with little or no "empowerment". You will be told cold hard facts (often those which are posted in the website updates anyhow which they regurgitate) and no reasonable conjecture. They also do not have any power to influence what's going on behind the curtain.
If you are looking for them to do so, you're expectations of them are too high. If you force them into conjecture like "when do you THINK my grades will pop?", the answer is purely a guess.
They have no additional insight that they are withholding, just what the computer tells them.
It is very, very rare for the average customer to be able to "get past the front door".
You are dealing with the PSA machine, a division of a publicly traded company.
It's all about revenue.
They can't count the money fast enough.

If you want personal service call SGC. Someone will pick up the phone. It's an itty bitty little company now fractured into tiny pieces most of which are hunkered down in FL. The product is great, I love the product, but you have to question the end game.

At the Nationals, there was a stark differentiation. PSA had 10 or 12 intake CS Reps handling enormous lines of customers open to close every day of the Show. It was like the ice cream stand on the first 90 degree day of the summer season. SGC booth, by contrast, had 1 or 2 intake people and no lines (customers).

In the end, we know exactly what we will get and we make a choice.
RayB