NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you give an opinion of a person or company your full name needs to be in your post. Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 04-12-2012, 07:08 PM
D@v!d J@m3s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samsdaddy View Post
This has to be one of my favorite threads...
+1

I read each story and try to picture it in my mind. I sure wish I could have experienced that.
Old 04-12-2012, 07:43 PM
Todd Schultz

I collected packs from '66 onward, and really saw no series as particularly harder than others. High numbers were plenty available, as I distinctly remember having the option of picking last series baseball at the same time first series football was out.

My problem was that the Ben Franklin store where I bought my cards would only periodically order even if sold out, and we had someone who would save and buy whatever was on the shelf when he got there. So if you didn't get your packs first, or only bought a few, there was a good chance that he'd scoop up the rest and you'd have to wait for the next order, at least a week to ten days out (an eternity for a kid). I was also on the other end of that a time or too, where I had the complete series so far, but would have to wait while others purchased the rest of the supply and maybe another order of that same series before I could avoid doubles. The store would not order the next series so long as there were packs on the shelf, so there were a couple of times when I would buy out the last few packs just to get them to order more, even knowing there were only doubles inside.

BTW, I finally found out who the big spender was-- a kid a year younger than me who went to a different school. Just happened to connect during high school through a mutual friend's sister. This guy was a hoarder, and didn't seem to "play with" his cards--just look once or twice and away they went to the drawer. Called him a few names and would have said more except he was a nice guy who loved to trade, and his now several-years old cards were in fantastic shape, especially compared to mine.
And listening to our own heartbeats
We stood around the drum
Though it's fainter now, the older I've become
Old 04-12-2012, 08:05 PM
Dean C.

Default Wow, thanks for the memories!

My dear fellow collectors, you have surpassed my expectations with all of your thoughtful comments! I cannot tell you how much I enjoyed reading your entries -- and it's obvious I'm not the only one. Thanks to all of you for making this thread such a joy! I hope the comments keep coming!

While I'm too young to have enjoyed looking for the new baseball card series (that's not exactly true; I was born in '66, but I didn't start buying baseball cards until 1977), I do remember the excitement of looking for and finding new series of Wacky Packages stickers, which my mother purchased regularly for my sister and me at a Woolworth's store in Decatur, GA. I think they were 5 cents a pack, while the "pricey" baseball cards and other nearby packs were 10 cents. That was, I'm pretty sure, back in '73, or maybe '74. Looking back, I sure wish I had asked my mother to buy some baseball cards too!
Old 04-13-2012, 06:10 PM
Dave.Horn.ish

I had no problem buying cards from 1970-74, my big collecting years as a kid in Hicksville, NY on Long Island. We had a variety of candy and stationery stores, luncheonettes and delis that sold wax packs, a great place called Coronet that was a toy store, model rocket shop, kid's furniture center etc. that sold raks and also had a nickel vending machine in the vestibule. And the Colonial Maid ice cream truck sold wax packs, I remember getting high numbers in 70, 71 and 72 from the truck in September each year.
Old 04-13-2012, 06:26 PM
Steve

"BTW, I finally found out who the big spender was-- a kid a year younger than me who went to a different school. Just happened to connect during high school through a mutual friend's sister. This guy was a hoarder, and didn't seem to "play with" his cards--just look once or twice and away they went to the drawer. Called him a few names and would have said more except he was a nice guy who loved to trade, and his now several-years old cards were in fantastic shape, especially compared to mine...."

Todd: I think that guy may have turned out to be every card dealer I ever met, but it probably is a little more sane to remain somewhat emotionally detached from the pasteboards. The kids who used to bug me were the ones who seemed to have unlimited personal allowances at the age of 8 or 9. I imagined young plutocrats spending a small fortune, like twenty bucks a week, on packs and lugging the haul in a backpack to school to lord it over the rest of us. In reality, those guys were probably just working harder to get what they wanted, or something.
Old 04-13-2012, 09:42 PM
Michael S

Quote:
Originally Posted by spec View Post
I continued the quest until 1973 when Topps issued all the series at once in Boston, where I moved after college.
I grew up in Boston and purchased packs from 65-74 and I do remember not having to worry about the series format in 73. I thought that was the way for the whole country until I later found out it was a test.
Old 04-13-2012, 10:09 PM
John Gregory

Talking good memories...

I started buying with the 1971 cards. I had a paper route which insured that I had money for the cards. I would frequent the local 7-11 here in southeast Houston. I always looked forward to football season, because there was less competition for the baseball cards, others had started buying the football cards. So never any challenge for the last series. In fact, I didn't know that they were more challenging and thus would be worth more $$ until years later.

I enjoyed the challenge of completing the 7-11 Slurpee (sp?) cups that also had baseball player faces on them.

A few years later, when collecting baseball cards was no longer "cool" and you didn't want the girls to think you were "uncool", I would just purchase the complete sets throught the mail, but I would still got my fix eating a lot of twinkies and Kellogg's Raison Bran, and drinking RC cola. Not for the baseball players, of course, but because I liked the taste.
Old 04-17-2012, 01:12 PM

Default Great thread

Well, growing up in a very small town in central PA. we had one mom and pop store to buy from. They usually kept a good supply of wax through the spring and summer (it seemed every kid in town collected), but the last couple series' were very hit and miss. Once in a while we would get to Clearfield and look for cello packs at the G.C. Murphy's, and then the search was on for any Pirate on the top or the bottom.
Also, on Sundays my uncle would go to a little store called the Whispering Pines a couple miles away to buy a Pittsburgh newspaper. If I was allowed to go, I always walked out with some wax packs.
One thing that strikes me as funny, is that I have a bunch of the 1967 Topps Pirates stickers. It's hard to believe that our little town was part of the "Test Issue" release area.
Great memories !

Last edited by blackandgold; 04-19-2012 at 11:52 AM.
Old 04-18-2012, 01:57 AM

1972 the last series...I didn't know it existed until I visited my friend who moved to the other side of the county out here in N. Calif Bay Area....needless to say I was mad and envious of him... .... it took me another 13 years or so to complete it...

1973 I had no problem finding the last series... a bunch came out mixed with other series in rack packs I found at a toy store...the weird thing...all the kids in my hood must have conspired to hoard the 4th series...I couldn't find any.... so I ended up ordering from Larry Fritsch cards...I remember when the box came in after school...ran in and ripped open the vendor fresh cards...I still have them...and they have that fresh quality to them...ahhh..nice memories...

Ricky Y
Old 04-21-2012, 06:12 PM

I was actively buying packs from 1967 through 1973 when the cards were issued in series. I never knew high number cards were tougher until 1972 when I started getting card collector magazines. In 1972 I knew high number cards were tougher and actively sought out the high numbers but never found any at my local stores for either of the last 2 series. None of my friends had any either, so they were not easily found where I lived.

In 1973 I didn't find any high number cards until late in the year when I was in a neighborhood not near where I lived and I went into a store and there was a huge display of 1973 high number boxes at the front of the store at half off, 5 cents for a pack of 10 cards, as many as you wanted. They also had some wacky packs for sale that I hadn't seen. I only had a few bucks with me but spent all my money on those high number 1973s and some wackys and convinced a non-collecting friend that was with me that he should spend all his money on those 1973 high numbers because they were sure to go up in value. I remember wishing at the time that I had more money with me so I could buy more of those cards, but I never went back, though I did buy enough to get the complete series with plenty of doubles. I asked my friend many years later if he still had those 1973 high numbers and he was sure he did have them somewhere but had no idea where they were.

From the time I bought packs from 1967 to 1973, I did get high numbers in packs for all years except 1970 and 1972. When I started trying to complete those sets later, I had to buy those in the mail in complete series from an early card seller, I think it was Merv Williams.

I was kind of bummed in 1974 when Topps started issuing cards all at once since I was a bit older then and felt I could have found the high numbers that year and stored a bunch away for later.

Looking back at it, I think if I was older during the years when cards were issued in packs, I could have probably found the high numbers. The problem was that I was too young to drive, so was limited to biking around to a few local stores to search for them. If they didn't have them, I was out of luck.