NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you give an opinion of a person or company your full name needs to be in your post. Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
Shop Ebay Promotions
Vintage Memorabilia
Pre WWII-(Pre 1942) Baseball
Post WWII (1942-1980) Baseball
Modern (1980-present) Baseball

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 02-09-2019, 03:37 PM
Marc

Interesting that the Houston mini pennant is the only one that lists a city without a team name (and has a star).

Fballguy makes a good point about the star with circle being a common symbol/sign in Texas. I guess the question is whether the Astros appropriated that symbol during their first year and someone put it on a pennant. The star does seem to match the hat, but I've never seen an Astros item with the star and a circle. The hat came with both an white star version and an orange hat version (to match that mini pennant).
Old 02-09-2019, 07:02 PM
chris

This is a subject that's always interested me and here's one that I believe to be a Reds pennant for obvious reasons, even though I have no way of proving it at this point...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190113_110826.jpg (12.4 KB, 215 views)
Old 02-09-2019, 10:52 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

If I remember correctly it has something to do with them not having a logo early and used these more generic items for promotion. I may be completely wrong, but for some reason that sticks out in my memory.
Old 02-11-2019, 03:58 PM
Rob

Even though I wouldn't touch D**gers stuff with a 10 foot pole, I was watching this. It went for $168.50. I wonder if it's related to my Giants photo pennant? Mine is full size; not sure about the D**gers version.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l500.jpg (28.0 KB, 171 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0331.jpg (79.1 KB, 173 views)
Old 02-12-2019, 10:03 AM
Ja.son Hugh.es

Dodgers version is smaller. They came from a series sold here in Minnesota and was part of the same group that includes a lot of the Twins ones from the 60s. I have a Mickey Mantle and there is a Reggie Jackson. Both are very rare. The Dodgers and Twins are a little more common with the Twins being the most common. There are some very rare North Stars and Packers versions as well.

Your San Fran pennant is very rare. I have never seen it before.
Old 02-12-2019, 03:26 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duluth Eskimo View Post
Dodgers version is smaller. They came from a series sold here in Minnesota and was part of the same group that includes a lot of the Twins ones from the 60s. I have a Mickey Mantle and there is a Reggie Jackson. Both are very rare. The Dodgers and Twins are a little more common with the Twins being the most common. There are some very rare North Stars and Packers versions as well.

I had never seen it before, either. The guy I got it from said he found it in a shed in Winona, MN.
Old 02-12-2019, 06:23 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duluth Eskimo View Post

There are Vikings too. A Tommy Mason pennant sold for over $1,300 on Ebay about a year ago.
Old 02-12-2019, 11:27 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooo-ribay View Post
I had never seen it before, either. The guy I got it from said he found it in a shed in Winona, MN.
Winona is where they were made.
Old 02-12-2019, 11:29 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fballguy View Post
There are Vikings too. A Tommy Mason pennant sold for over $1,300 on Ebay about a year ago.
There are more than what I listed, but they are few and far between. Many I would say are one of a kind. I buy and sell pennants in Minnesota and I consider most to be very rare.
Old 02-18-2019, 01:53 AM

Default ASCO, Inc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooo-ribay View Post
Even though I wouldn't touch D**gers stuff with a 10 foot pole, I was watching this. It went for $168.50. I wonder if it's related to my Giants photo pennant? Mine is full size; not sure about the D**gers version.
Rob: I'm glad I didn't lose out on that Koufax pennant to a Giant fan so, thanks for staying away

Both your photo-less Giants pennant and the Koufax photo pennant were made by ASCO, located in Winona, MN.

Allow me to piggy back on Duluth Eskimo's earlier comments, which I completely agree with: ASCO began making pennants when the Senators moved to Minnesota to become the Twins, around 1960. They spent most of the decade focusing on Minnesota teams; however, they did make some Dodger pennants because the Twins played the Dodgers in the '65 series, and I suppose they knew there'd be some demand for these products from visiting fans.

ASCO didn't invent the photo pennant; but, they may deserve credit for first modifying the typical team photo that Trench and others were offering into the individual player layout.

These individual player photo pennants are highly collectible and rare. The problem is ASCO did not seem to affix the photos to the felt as well as Trench. Consequently, many of their photo pennants are, today, sans photo. Which sucks because without the original photo, it's hard to say what these are worth.

Anyway, I plan to write a piece on ASCO in the coming weeks for those that care to learn more about their story, products, and their contributions to the hobby.