NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you give an opinion of a person or company your full name needs to be in your post. Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
Shop Ebay Promotions
Vintage Memorabilia
Pre WWII-(Pre 1942) Baseball
Post WWII (1942-1980) Baseball
Modern (1980-present) Baseball

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present)

Old 11-12-2018, 07:13 PM
Bob F.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiceBondsMntna2Young View Post
Any worth sending back to PSA for a second look, I mean?
Nope.
Old 11-13-2018, 07:41 PM
Steve Birmingham

I suspect the origin went a bit like this...

Guy messes up and puts the wrong rookie on Bonds card.
Presses roll, cards get printed, rookies get a few sets for themselves.

a short time later
Boss - Hey X (Inset employee name)
X - Yeah?
Boss- You got the wrong picture on one of those cards, and that Bonds kid is PISSED!
X - man, tell him I'm really sorry.
Boss- Yeah, we did. Still mad, the kids a bit of a tool. Said his godfather is Mays, and if we don't change it right away heads will roll.
X - Damn, I guess I'm staying late tonight.

Card gets fixed, Barry is calmed for a while, and collectors get a pretty tough card to chase.
Old 12-31-2018, 11:57 PM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

I was a full time dealer back then and remember breaking 600 sets of those things. I found one Bonds error in 600 sets. But here's the thing - the set also had the regular variation too, and the regular one was in the proper sequence (sorting these sets was easy - they were always in the same order.)

So, my assumption was that it was intentional, and every so often one was added to a factory set just to create hype and spur sales - which it did.
Old 01-01-2019, 07:40 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

Very interesting, this was well before any error craze as well. Ive never heard this.

"Trolling Ebay right now"
Old 01-01-2019, 09:38 AM
Arthur
Al Fri.ch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark17 View Post
I was a full time dealer back then and remember breaking 600 sets of those things. I found one Bonds error in 600 sets. But here's the thing - the set also had the regular variation too, and the regular one was in the proper sequence (sorting these sets was easy - they were always in the same order.)

So, my assumption was that it was intentional, and every so often one was added to a factory set just to create hype and spur sales - which it did.
Mark, were both Bonds cards located properly or just the correct one? Bonds is the last card in one of the cello packs so I've always just opened that one pack and stored away the others. You telling me I need to go back and sort through all of them?

Arthur

Successful transactions with Burger King, Amazon, Great Cuts, Tacos Villa Corona, TJ Maxx
Old 01-01-2019, 10:27 AM
Rich Klein

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiceBondsMntna2Young View Post

Thanks for the information, any little bit helps. If you ever remember the name of your predecessor, especially if he's still in the hobby? Maybe I could track him down and ask him if there's anything he remembers.
Dr. Beckett in the early years read ALL the letters as a way of keeping track of what collectors were interested in. By the time I got there, he was reading 1/2 to 1/3 in all the sports. And if he remembers, it would have been in a blurb back then. Wish I had a better answer for you,,, but that's what it is.
Old 01-01-2019, 09:19 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republicaninmass View Post
Very interesting, this was well before any error craze as well. Ive never heard this.
Errors were pretty hot in 81-82. Fleer and Donruss had ongoing problems getting things right. Then later Fleer had what I believe were shenanigans with a pressman drawing a few pointing hands mostly on the backs. Tons of variations and they were popular for a while.
Old 01-01-2019, 09:28 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
Errors were pretty hot in 81-82. Fleer and Donruss had ongoing problems getting things right. Then later Fleer had what I believe were shenanigans with a pressman drawing a few pointing hands mostly on the backs. Tons of variations and they were popular for a while.
The 82 Topps set had a ton of printing errors also. I started collecting around 85/86 and errors were pretty hot then and that lasted to around 01/02. By the end of that run there was enough error sellers on eBay that they just weren't rare and cool anymore. That was my experience anyway.
Old 01-02-2019, 03:24 AM
Rich Klein

Ben:

On the 1982 printing error increase I suspect it had to do with having to print more cards and quicker with less quality control. The hobby growth was there in 1982 and more cards were being produced each year. Plus, that was really the 1st full year of competition. I do realize there were 3 major companies in 1981 but they had limited time to produce sets; 1982 was going to be their year to really challenge Topps.

The result; and this is my opinion only

Topps still had the best set with a nice design. Other than a couple of minor errors which were corrected and those printing errors; a very solid year

Fleer: A terribly produced 2nd set. Look at the Jack Clark card for example of how not to select photos. They did reduce their errors by a ton.

Donruss: A far better card stock and photos than 1981. Again the errors were more limited compared to the rush of the previous year.

White it is possible some of the 1981 errors were "planned" it tis also possible the rushed prep of the 1981 sets caused some of those errors as well.

Regards
Rich
Old 01-05-2019, 11:48 PM
Dar.ius Hou.seal

If I remember correctly, the Barry Bonds Opening Day error was on the Johnny Ray card and not the actual Barry Bonds. I ordered 4 sets on ebay back in 2006 I believe and went through them looking at the Barry Bonds card and no error. Then i decided to check out the Johnny Ray card and one of the sets had the jackpot. Sent to PSA and got a 9. Lucky as hell.

Last edited by dariushou; 01-05-2019 at 11:48 PM.