NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you give an opinion of a person or company your full name needs to be in your post. Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on Ebay
Pre-WWII Cards
Post WWII Cards
Vintage Memorabilia
Babe Ruth Cards
Ty Cobb Cards
Lou Gehrig Cards
Mickey Mantle Cards
Goudey Cards
Bowman Cards
T205s on Ebay
Tobacco "T" Cards
Caramel "E" Cards
Vintage Baseball Postcards
Football Cards on Ebay
Exhibit Cards
Strip Cards
Baking Cards
Sporting News
Playball Cards on Ebay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-21-2018, 06:49 AM
clydepepper's Avatar
clydepepper clydepepper is offline
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper
Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Columbus, GA
Posts: 5,179
Default HOF Numbers Game: The Accumulators

Not flashy, they just keep going. Players who had long, productive careers. Where do they stack up against each other?

In my opinion, the 'most accomplished' accumulators are:

1. Eddie Murray
2. Adrian Beltre
3. Tony Perez
4. Harold Baines

The cynic's question: If you were well paid to do so, would you stick around and reap whatever glory comes just from black and white statistics?

Heck Yeah!

Comments?


.
__________________
.
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on others lives" - Jackie Robinson


MY BIG CONCERNS ABOUT AMERICA:

Internally- We spend too much time assuring our rights without learning the responsibilities that should accompany them.
Externally - No matter how much we claim to take the higher moral ground, we have neither respected nor attempted to understand other cultures.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-21-2018, 12:47 PM
steve B steve B is offline
Steve Birmingham
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: eastern Mass.
Posts: 5,574
Default

While a lot of people sort of dismiss the accumulators, I think it's much harder for a player to pull off than we think.

Basically, a player has to want to keep playing, be good enough AND affordable enough that he doesn't get replaced. And also has to be liked enough that he doesn't get replaced.


As things move more towards complex modern stats, I believe that gets much tougher. A player in his last few years is usually pretty much average. So teams will be more likely to replace them with someone at least equally average but at a price that's a few million a year less.

It's also less likely that a player who's already made maybe 100 million will want to stick around putting in the effort it takes to stay at the big league level. Especially if they end up with one of those nagging injuries.


Not that there won't be players like that, or ones that stick around for as many extra years they can get because they love playing, just that they will become less common.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-21-2018, 08:40 PM
Peter_Spaeth's Avatar
Peter_Spaeth Peter_Spaeth is online now
Peter Spaeth
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 18,575
Default

Other accumulators: Molitor maybe? Yaz, to some extent. Vizquel for sure. Colon. Moyer. Kaat.
__________________
Stuff trumps all. Even tainted stuff.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-21-2018, 08:52 PM
Big Six's Avatar
Big Six Big Six is offline
M@tt McC@rthy
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: New England
Posts: 1,479
Default

Biggio


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
__________________
M@tt McC@arthy
I collect Hal Chase, Diamond Stars (PSA 5 or better), 1951 Bowman (Raw Ex or better), 1954 Topps (PSA 7 or better), 1956 Topps (Raw Ex or better), 3x5 Hall of Fame Autographs and autographed Perez Steele Postcards. You can see my collection by going to http://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/BigSix.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-22-2018, 04:24 AM
Jim65's Avatar
Jim65 Jim65 is offline
Jam.es Braci.liano
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 1,077
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Six View Post
Biggio
+1
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-22-2018, 05:21 PM
clydepepper's Avatar
clydepepper clydepepper is offline
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper
Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Columbus, GA
Posts: 5,179
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Other accumulators: Molitor maybe? Yaz, to some extent. Vizquel for sure. Colon. Moyer. Kaat.

I understand your point, but I would never consider Yaz an accumulator...just because of that 1967 Season! Wow! Was that something special?


.
__________________
.
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on others lives" - Jackie Robinson


MY BIG CONCERNS ABOUT AMERICA:

Internally- We spend too much time assuring our rights without learning the responsibilities that should accompany them.
Externally - No matter how much we claim to take the higher moral ground, we have neither respected nor attempted to understand other cultures.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-23-2018, 09:17 PM
Peter_Spaeth's Avatar
Peter_Spaeth Peter_Spaeth is online now
Peter Spaeth
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 18,575
Default

Ray yeah but if you look beyond the mystique, Yaz had an awful lot of decent but not outstanding seasons that eventually added up.
__________________
Stuff trumps all. Even tainted stuff.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-24-2018, 01:20 AM
Hxcmilkshake's Avatar
Hxcmilkshake Hxcmilkshake is offline
St@n Go.len
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Florida
Posts: 246
Default

Yount comes to mind

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-24-2018, 09:01 PM
Peter_Spaeth's Avatar
Peter_Spaeth Peter_Spaeth is online now
Peter Spaeth
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 18,575
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hxcmilkshake View Post
Yount comes to mind

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
If the 'Stache sees this all hell will break loose.
__________________
Stuff trumps all. Even tainted stuff.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-27-2018, 07:01 PM
frankbmd's Avatar
frankbmd frankbmd is online now
Fr@nk Burke++
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Between the 1st tee and the 19th hole
Posts: 5,798
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
If the 'Stache sees this all hell will break loose.
Don’t forget Gorman Thomas and Cecil Cooper.
__________________
FRANK:BUR:KETT - RAUCOUS SPORTS CARD FORUM MEMBER BUT CLEARLY........

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION


518/1000 Monster Number

Over*760* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-19.
Over 550 sales with satisfied Board members served.
Thank you all.



Now nearly PQ.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 11-27-2018, 07:17 PM
Peter_Spaeth's Avatar
Peter_Spaeth Peter_Spaeth is online now
Peter Spaeth
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 18,575
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
Don’t forget Gorman Thomas and Cecil Cooper.
And the innocent Ryan Braun.
__________________
Stuff trumps all. Even tainted stuff.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11-28-2018, 08:34 AM
SAllen2556's Avatar
SAllen2556 SAllen2556 is offline
Scott
Scott All.en
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Detroit
Posts: 391
Default

Hank Aaron is the all time king of accumulators. Led the league in home runs only 4 years out of 23. RBI's: 4 times. Hits: twice. Doubles: 4 times

Not saying he wasn't awesome though - because he accumulated all star level stats for at least 20 of his 23 years. But never hit 50 home runs. Never won the triple crown.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 11-30-2018, 08:56 PM
clydepepper's Avatar
clydepepper clydepepper is offline
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper
Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Columbus, GA
Posts: 5,179
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAllen2556 View Post
Hank Aaron is the all time king of accumulators. Led the league in home runs only 4 years out of 23. RBI's: 4 times. Hits: twice. Doubles: 4 times

Not saying he wasn't awesome though - because he accumulated all star level stats for at least 20 of his 23 years. But never hit 50 home runs. Never won the triple crown.


In Hank's defense, you could take chop off several seasons off his career and IMO he'd still be a First Ballot Hall-of-Famer. That cannot be said of the others I have designated 'accumulators'.


.
__________________
.
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on others lives" - Jackie Robinson


MY BIG CONCERNS ABOUT AMERICA:

Internally- We spend too much time assuring our rights without learning the responsibilities that should accompany them.
Externally - No matter how much we claim to take the higher moral ground, we have neither respected nor attempted to understand other cultures.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 12-01-2018, 02:04 AM
KCRfan1 KCRfan1 is offline
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Los Angeles area
Posts: 1,483
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAllen2556 View Post
Hank Aaron is the all time king of accumulators. Led the league in home runs only 4 years out of 23. RBI's: 4 times. Hits: twice. Doubles: 4 times.

Not saying he wasn't awesome though - because he accumulated all star level stats for at least 20 of his 23 years. But never hit 50 home runs. Never won the triple crown.
If Aaron is an accumulator, which player is not an accumulator?

I'm not going to knock a player because they didn't hit 50 homers or win a triple crown.

" He's ( Aaron ) the King of accumulators, but not saying he wasn't awesome though ". Your words. This is either a backhanded compliment or conflicting statements.

If you want to play the stats game, Aaron hit 40 or more homers in 8 seasons, had 100 or more rbi's in 11 seasons with 5 additional seasons of 90 or more rbi's, led the league in hits twice and 2 batting crowns.

Mantle, btw, only had 4 seasons of 100 rbi's and led the league 1 time in the category over an 18 year career. 4 years of 40 or more homers, never led the league in hits and 1 batting crown.

I refer to Mantle in comparison because of his status.

Both Aaron and Mantle are all-time greats and I wouldn't label either as an accumulator. However, to each their own......
__________________
My new found obsession the t206!
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 12-08-2018, 06:53 PM
Peter_Spaeth's Avatar
Peter_Spaeth Peter_Spaeth is online now
Peter Spaeth
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 18,575
Default

Winfield sort of fits the accumulator category.
__________________
Stuff trumps all. Even tainted stuff.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 12-09-2018, 04:30 AM
Jim65's Avatar
Jim65 Jim65 is offline
Jam.es Braci.liano
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 1,077
Default

To me, an accumulater is someone who would not be a HOFer except that they hit a magical stat (3000 hits, 300 wins, etc. The 2 players that come to my mind are Craig Biggio and Don Sutton.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 12-09-2018, 04:01 PM
bbcard1 bbcard1 is offline
T0dd M@rcum
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Roanoke, VA
Posts: 2,692
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydepepper View Post
I understand your point, but I would never consider Yaz an accumulator...just because of that 1967 Season! Wow! Was that something special?


.
When he hit .301?
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 12-09-2018, 04:58 PM
Topnotchsy Topnotchsy is offline
Jeff Lazarus
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 579
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim65 View Post
To me, an accumulater is someone who would not be a HOFer except that they hit a magical stat (3000 hits, 300 wins, etc. The 2 players that come to my mind are Craig Biggio and Don Sutton.
Was surprised it took this long for Sutton's name to come up. Won 300+ games, but career ERA+ of 108.

I guess what Sutton has going for him is that there are others in the Hall who were not as good and didn't accumulate as much. (Hard to understand how Morris, Marquard, Catfish Hunter and a few others made it)

Lineup card from Sutton's final MLB win
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sutton Final Win lineup card.jpg (75.1 KB, 95 views)

Last edited by Topnotchsy; 12-09-2018 at 04:58 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 12-09-2018, 06:22 PM
steve B steve B is offline
Steve Birmingham
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: eastern Mass.
Posts: 5,574
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Winfield sort of fits the accumulator category.

Aww Peter.... Busting on Mr. May? ….
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 12-09-2018, 06:26 PM
steve B steve B is offline
Steve Birmingham
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: eastern Mass.
Posts: 5,574
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topnotchsy View Post
Was surprised it took this long for Sutton's name to come up. Won 300+ games, but career ERA+ of 108.

I guess what Sutton has going for him is that there are others in the Hall who were not as good and didn't accumulate as much. (Hard to understand how Morris, Marquard, Catfish Hunter and a few others made it)

Lineup card from Sutton's final MLB win

I think a lot of whether a player who might be borderline gets in or not comes down to exactly when they retire, and who retires during the next 5 years or the couple years before they did.

Dwight Evans would be borderline, and I was really hoping he'd get in. He fell just short of 400 HR, which at the time was almost automatic. But after a couple years on the ballot there was a year with something like 3 first ballot guys and a couple maybe first/second, which took away enough votes that he was dropped.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 12-09-2018, 07:31 PM
dgo71 dgo71 is offline
Derek 0u3ll3tt3
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 948
Default

Guess we can talk about Harold Baines here now.

Kind of fitting he gets in along with Lee Smith since January will likely bring two other players prominently known for being a designated hitter and reliever.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 12-09-2018, 07:44 PM
clydepepper's Avatar
clydepepper clydepepper is offline
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper
Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Columbus, GA
Posts: 5,179
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbcard1 View Post
When he hit .301?


Wow! Uh, No!

He won the Triple Crown and led the Red Sox to their first pennant in 21 years.

Led the league in the following categories:

R-112; H-189; HR-44(tied); RBI- 121; BA- .326; OBP- .418; SLG- .622; OPS- 1.040; OPS+- 193; TB- 360; WAR- 12.5

His Sept/Oct slash was .417/.504/.760

Boston lost WS in 7, but Yaz's line was 24AB-10H-3HR-5RIBI .400/.500/.840

Definitely Not an Accumulator's type year.



He hit .301 the following year leading the league and also leading with 119 walks.


=
__________________
.
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on others lives" - Jackie Robinson


MY BIG CONCERNS ABOUT AMERICA:

Internally- We spend too much time assuring our rights without learning the responsibilities that should accompany them.
Externally - No matter how much we claim to take the higher moral ground, we have neither respected nor attempted to understand other cultures.

Last edited by clydepepper; 12-09-2018 at 07:45 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 12-11-2018, 01:05 PM
drcy's Avatar
drcy drcy is offline
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 2,537
Default

When he was playing, I would say Brett Favre was the best quarterback active. It could be reasonably argued there were better on the field players, but Favre played every game and even an average quarterback in the game is worth more than Johnny Unitas or Dan Marino on the sideline. Plus, he was a great quarterback anyway.

So longevity and games played is itself a desirable quality to the team. Though that's not to be confused with me saying that longevity and "accumulation" make a player a HOFer. I certainly don't think Harold Baines is a HOFer, no matter how many years and games he played.

Last edited by drcy; 12-11-2018 at 01:08 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 12-11-2018, 02:02 PM
999Tony 999Tony is offline
Brian "Tony" Levinson
member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Leavenworth County Kansas
Posts: 98
Default

Not fair to Biggio to call him an accumulator or compare him to DH Baines without a positional adjustment.

Not much below the average 2b peak or career in the HOF:
65.5 career WAR / 41.8 7yr-peak WAR / 53.7 JAWS
Average HOF 2B (out of 20):
69.5 career WAR / 44.5 7yr-peak WAR / 57.0 JAWS
__________________
Brian "Tony" Levinson

Member of Old Baseball Cards as of 4/22/18 thanks to some very nice people I met on this site.
Thank you very much Net54 community.
New to site, but already successful trades with Mintacular, jschris, avalanche2006, obcbobd jimmysuitcase, and marchillo.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 12-11-2018, 08:06 PM
clydepepper's Avatar
clydepepper clydepepper is offline
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper
Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Columbus, GA
Posts: 5,179
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcy View Post
When he was playing, I would say Brett Favre was the best quarterback active. It could be reasonably argued there were better on the field players, but Favre played every game and even an average quarterback in the game is worth more than Johnny Unitas or Dan Marino on the sideline. Plus, he was a great quarterback anyway.

So longevity and games played is itself a desirable quality to the team. Though that's not to be confused with me saying that longevity and "accumulation" make a player a HOFer. I certainly don't think Harold Baines is a HOFer, no matter how many years and games he played.


IMO, Comparing longevity in Football and Baseball is like...well...

Comparing Apples and Zagnut Bars.

=
__________________
.
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on others lives" - Jackie Robinson


MY BIG CONCERNS ABOUT AMERICA:

Internally- We spend too much time assuring our rights without learning the responsibilities that should accompany them.
Externally - No matter how much we claim to take the higher moral ground, we have neither respected nor attempted to understand other cultures.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 12-12-2018, 05:12 AM
rats60's Avatar
rats60 rats60 is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 1,667
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 999Tony View Post
Not fair to Biggio to call him an accumulator or compare him to DH Baines without a positional adjustment.

Not much below the average 2b peak or career in the HOF:
65.5 career WAR / 41.8 7yr-peak WAR / 53.7 JAWS
Average HOF 2B (out of 20):
69.5 career WAR / 44.5 7yr-peak WAR / 57.0 JAWS
Baines OPS + 121 Biggio OPS + 112. If Baines is an accumulator, as most would agree, then so are those who were worse hitters. Using Baines hit total as the floor, you get

Baines 121
Pete Rose 118
Beltre 116
Jeter 115
Yount 115
Biggio 112
Sam Rice 112
Ripken 112
Frisch 110
Brock 109
Ichiro 107
Vizquel 82
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 12-12-2018, 07:26 PM
the 'stache's Avatar
the 'stache the 'stache is offline
Bill Gregory
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Flower Mound, Texas
Posts: 3,758
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Other accumulators: Molitor maybe? Yaz, to some extent. Vizquel for sure. Colon. Moyer. Kaat.
Molitor was one of the most exciting guys to play the game. And, had he not been injured so often early in his career, he'd have challenged Cobb's all-time hits record.

If Molitor is a compiler, so was Pete Rose.

Yaz? I can see it, but for a time, he was probably the best player in the game. The problem is that the second half of his career wasn't exceptional. But if we're talking a combination of both offense and defense, in his prime, he was fantastic.
__________________
Building these sets: T206, 1953 Bowman Color, 1975 Topps.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 12-12-2018, 07:37 PM
the 'stache's Avatar
the 'stache the 'stache is offline
Bill Gregory
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Flower Mound, Texas
Posts: 3,758
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
If the 'Stache sees this all hell will break loose.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
And the innocent Ryan Braun.
Yount's inarguably one of the top five shortstops to ever play the game. And before he hurt his shoulder, he was one of the top two or three players in baseball. Shortstops just didn't hit for that kind of power, and play incredible defense, at the same time. You had guys like Ernie Banks who could crush the ball, and was pretty good with the glove, but he couldn't do all the things Yount could. Wagner is the Gold standard. But after that, Yount's not far behind anyone else who's ever played the position.

There's NO comparison between Baines and Yount. None. Baines, in 22 seasons (20 full ones) finished 9th and 10th in the MVP. Yount was an MVP at short and center field, two of the three toughest defensive positions in baseball. Baines by no stretch of the imagination should be a Hall of Famer, and that he is in now further waters down what has become a joke.

And nowhere have I ever said that Ryan Braun was innocent. He screwed up, broke the rules, and deserved to be suspended. The narrative I've always pushed was that he didn't need PEDs to be a great player, and that he didn't take a PED. He took a banned substance to heal an injury. Dumb, and illegal, per baseball's rules, but not the same thing as a performance enhancer. Before he had the nerve damage in his hand, he was one of the very best hitters in baseball. After his positive test, and with baseball testing him/watching him under a microscope, he put up a season nearly as good as his 2011 MVP one. Led the league NL in home runs, and with a .987 OPS, only 7 points lower than the prior season.
__________________
Building these sets: T206, 1953 Bowman Color, 1975 Topps.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.

Last edited by the 'stache; 12-12-2018 at 07:38 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 12-12-2018, 07:49 PM
the 'stache's Avatar
the 'stache the 'stache is offline
Bill Gregory
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Flower Mound, Texas
Posts: 3,758
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rats60 View Post
Baines OPS + 121 Biggio OPS + 112. If Baines is an accumulator, as most would agree, then so are those who were worse hitters. Using Baines hit total as the floor, you get

Baines 121
Pete Rose 118
Beltre 116
Jeter 115
Yount 115
Biggio 112
Sam Rice 112
Ripken 112
Frisch 110
Brock 109
Ichiro 107
Vizquel 82
In defense of Yount, his first 700 games, he had an 89 OPS. He was a full-time player at age 18, long before medicine and training had guys hitting the ground running at such a young age. He didn't know if he wanted to be a baseball player, or a golfer. Once he decided, and started adding weight training to his exercise regiment, he took off. From age 24 to 34, he was a .305 hitter, and OPS +'d 135. For those ten seasons, his 162 game averages: 108 runs scored, 194 hits, 38 doubles, 10 triples, 20 home runs, 92 RBI, 17 stolen bases, .365/.485/.850. Considering, especially, that this is between 1980 and 1989, those numbers for a shortstop/center fielder are pretty exceptional.
__________________
Building these sets: T206, 1953 Bowman Color, 1975 Topps.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 12-12-2018, 08:22 PM
Peter_Spaeth's Avatar
Peter_Spaeth Peter_Spaeth is online now
Peter Spaeth
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 18,575
Default

Yaz had two great years, 67 and 70. Other than those years and a pretty good year in 69 though his BA went way down, the first half of his career wasn't so spectacular either.
__________________
Stuff trumps all. Even tainted stuff.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 12-12-2018, 10:35 PM
rats60's Avatar
rats60 rats60 is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 1,667
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by the 'stache View Post
In defense of Yount, his first 700 games, he had an 89 OPS. He was a full-time player at age 18, long before medicine and training had guys hitting the ground running at such a young age. He didn't know if he wanted to be a baseball player, or a golfer. Once he decided, and started adding weight training to his exercise regiment, he took off. From age 24 to 34, he was a .305 hitter, and OPS +'d 135. For those ten seasons, his 162 game averages: 108 runs scored, 194 hits, 38 doubles, 10 triples, 20 home runs, 92 RBI, 17 stolen bases, .365/.485/.850. Considering, especially, that this is between 1980 and 1989, those numbers for a shortstop/center fielder are pretty exceptional.
His first 6 years and last 4 years he was an average hitter. That is half his career. The middle 10 years he had an OPS+ of 135 3 seasons. No doubt a Hofer, but Arky Vaughan had a career OPS+ of 136 and he played 85% of his games at shortstop.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 12-13-2018, 03:40 PM
clydepepper's Avatar
clydepepper clydepepper is offline
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper
Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Columbus, GA
Posts: 5,179
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by the 'stache View Post
Yount's inarguably one of the top five shortstops to ever play the game. And before he hurt his shoulder, he was one of the top two or three players in baseball. Shortstops just didn't hit for that kind of power, and play incredible defense, at the same time. You had guys like Ernie Banks who could crush the ball, and was pretty good with the glove, but he couldn't do all the things Yount could. Wagner is the Gold standard. But after that, Yount's not far behind anyone else who's ever played the position.

There's NO comparison between Baines and Yount. None. Baines, in 22 seasons (20 full ones) finished 9th and 10th in the MVP. Yount was an MVP at short and center field, two of the three toughest defensive positions in baseball. Baines by no stretch of the imagination should be a Hall of Famer, and that he is in now further waters down what has become a joke.

And nowhere have I ever said that Ryan Braun was innocent. He screwed up, broke the rules, and deserved to be suspended. The narrative I've always pushed was that he didn't need PEDs to be a great player, and that he didn't take a PED. He took a banned substance to heal an injury. Dumb, and illegal, per baseball's rules, but not the same thing as a performance enhancer. Before he had the nerve damage in his hand, he was one of the very best hitters in baseball. After his positive test, and with baseball testing him/watching him under a microscope, he put up a season nearly as good as his 2011 MVP one. Led the league NL in home runs, and with a .987 OPS, only 7 points lower than the prior season.

The problem with ALL PED guys is that you never know exactly when they STARTED - and once he was caught, he lied like a rug.

A BUM!

I question ALL of his stats!


I agree with you on Yount and Molitor - GREAT, EXCITING HOF players!

=
__________________
.
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on others lives" - Jackie Robinson


MY BIG CONCERNS ABOUT AMERICA:

Internally- We spend too much time assuring our rights without learning the responsibilities that should accompany them.
Externally - No matter how much we claim to take the higher moral ground, we have neither respected nor attempted to understand other cultures.

Last edited by clydepepper; 12-13-2018 at 03:41 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mickey Mantle 1st NYC game Debut Stub ending SATURDAY 8/12/17 at Love Of The Game! EYECOLLECTVINTAGE Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions 5 08-12-2017 11:37 PM
Opinions on a 1922 CHARLIE ROBERTSON PERFECT GAME ACTUAL GAME USED BASEBALL CJDave Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports 8 07-23-2017 02:22 AM
Potential game used baseball Lou Gehrig single signed from record game #1308 joyner82 Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports 2 04-27-2014 06:21 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:23 PM.


ebay GSB