NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you give an opinion of a person or company your full name needs to be in your post. Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 06-03-2011, 01:00 PM
John Hanssen

Some of the most intimadating player have shortend carriers because of the way they played

BO Jackson
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgYYaL--1qc

Earl Cambell -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfJybuzkMT0
Old 06-03-2011, 04:19 PM
Barry Sloate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawika View Post
Barry, you could have taken him.
Not bloody likely. But I could hide.
Old 06-03-2011, 05:54 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default dunno about intimidating....

I don't know if "intimidating" is the correct word but I think Michael Jordon in his prime was about as dominant as an athlete can get.....or Mark Spitz in the '72 Olympics.....
Old 06-04-2011, 10:56 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Intimidating IMO means that the guy scares opponents before he does anything just by his presence.

Boxing: Mike Tyson in his heyday. He basically made opponents wet their pants before the bell rang. Add to that the fact that he was a street criminal in his youth, a rapist in his adulthood, and by all admissions of people close to him has violent mood swings, and I think you have a genuinely scary, violent customer.

Baseball: Ty Cobb [vintage] and Nolan Ryan. Cobb won through intimidation, which is why he had so few friends. Ryan took no crap from anyone, ever. Plus his beatdown of Robin Ventura is a classic.

Football: They Call Me Assassin was one of my favorite sports books as a kid, so I have to go with Jack Tatum. Honorable mention to Jim Brown--if he couldn't go around you, he'd just go through you. 5.22 yards per carry for his career, highest all time, and averaged over 100 yards per game for his career.

Basketball: Bill Russell. He changed entire game plans with his defensive play. 22.5 rebounds per game for a career.

Hockey: The Hammer, Dave Schultz. The baddest bad boy on the Broad Street Bullies.

Last edited by Exhibitman; 06-04-2011 at 11:01 AM.
Old 06-04-2011, 05:57 PM
Eric

Marvin Hagler

Mike Tyson, until he met Robin Givins

John Randle was pretty scary

I always thought Ben Wallace in basketball looked like a bas a**

Clemente had a look to him like he was all business
Old 06-04-2011, 06:55 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default not world champ anymore but

He's not the world champion anymore but not many folks would like to meet Brock in the alley...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg brocklesner.jpg (14.7 KB, 138 views)
Old 06-04-2011, 09:49 PM
Adam Goldenberg

Default Hmmmmmm

I've been stewing on this one for awhile...baseball I love Gibson for the pitcher and Ruth for the batter. Football I like Jim Brown. Basketball I like Wilt. Hockey I go with Orr.
Old 06-05-2011, 11:44 PM

On the BB court Maurice Lucas was very intimidating, so was Xavier McDaniel in a different way.
Old 06-09-2011, 12:44 PM
J僃 @rl0w

I'm surprised that nobody mentioned Shaq in basketball. He was so big and physical that he changed how the game was played in the paint (for the worse in my opinion, it's more like WWF than basketball under the hoop). Guys would be fouled out in 3 minutes if the game was called the way it was pre-Shaq. He was a beast.
Old 06-20-2011, 05:53 PM

I simply cannot select from just one sport. So, just some random picks, but sincere nonetheless:

Baseball: Ty Cobb, Lefty Grove, Jackie Robinson

Hockey: skating away from the goons, I would select Maurice "Rocket" Richard and Bobby Hull. Also, I have to totally agree with the gent who mentioned Bobby Orr. I was blessed to see him play against my Black Hawks during his rookie year. He was all over the place, giving the last-place Bruins a fighting chance against what was probably the best Hawk team in history. Chicago won that game, 6-3, I believe, but Orr scored and no doubt intimidated everyone he faced. All my junior high classmates and I adored Bobby, though we were from the Chicago suburbs. He wasn't much older than us yet he was already a major star. As Orr's career flourished, he obviously became more and more intimidating, just as happened with Richard and Hull.

Horse Racing: Secretariet

Cycling: IF ALL the key players were indeed on some sort of PEDS over the last 10 years, Lance Armstrong rides up the mountain alone, demoralizing everyone's resolve behind him. Before drugs or whatever, Belgian Eddy Merkx would be my selection as the most intimidating, ferocious rival.

Speed Skating: While his Olympic stardom was limited to one Olympiad, imagine what EVERY speed skater at the 1980 Olympics must have felt when they had to go head-to-head with Eric Heiden! As for the ladies, Bonnie Blair rules( My Bonnie lies over the ocean, my Bonnie...).

Wrestling: American Dan Gable, as well as ANY teams he coached!

Long Distance Running: Vladimir Kuts, Russia (1956), Emil Zatopek (1948, 1952), Herb Elliott (1960), Lasse Viren (1972, 1976), and with the exception of the '72 Olympics, American Steve Prefontaine. None of them except PRE had an "attitude"; however, it was the way in which all of them raced their opponents that struck great fear. Tactically, they would break you apart! You did not want to race them, but you had to.

Automobile Racing: Tazio Nuvolari, Jose Froilan "Fathead" Gonzales, Juan Manuel Fangio, Sir Stirling Moss, Jim Clark, Mario Andretti, Jacky Ickx and by all means, Michael Schumacher!

Cheers. --Brian Powell

Last edited by brian1961; 06-25-2011 at 12:22 PM. Reason: needed to put a word in caps for emphasis