NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you give an opinion of a person or company your full name needs to be in your post. Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-28-2008, 10:49 PM
Administrator

Default OT but it is time for the 134th Kentucky Derby

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

Here in the hills of The Commonwealth of Kentucky, land of beautiful horses and fast women, we're about to have ourselves a horse race. The 134th Kentucky Derby

And this is a link to the horse that I think will win, Colonel John, trained by an Irishman named Eoin Harty, who sports a Yankees cap on this page... http://www.kentuckyderby.com/2008/contenders/colonel-john

Colonel John has been running on that synthetic ground up tire California stuff for most of his life, but he ran on dirt Sunday, cranking out 5 furlongs in 57:80. That's a good time for you slab-heads. A really good time.

So wheel him, or box him, or do something. I think he'll be up there.

The Kentucky Derby is a bit of a strange race. First time these young horses have run this distance. It takes a good horse and a bit of fortune to win, can't win it on luck alone. Colonel John is a good horse.

Old 04-28-2008, 11:21 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ken McMillan

save a horse, ride a cowboy

Old 04-29-2008, 04:45 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob

With all the success lately from Arkansas Derby winners like Smarty Jones, Afleet Alex, Curlin and Lawyer Ron, don't ignore Gayego who might pay a good price. He isn't bred for the distance but is a game horse if he can get near the lead early. I box Big Brown and Gayego and add Z Fortune at a big price in the trifecta.

Old 04-29-2008, 06:18 PM
Administrator

Posted By: DC

I have not been following this years's hopefuls as closely as I normally do, but I plan on having a flutter on Adriano. Strictly a hunch bet.

Old 04-29-2008, 08:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JimCrandell

$100 on the nose on Big Brown. I expect him though to be 4:5 by post time.

Old 04-29-2008, 09:01 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Josh

I am looking forward to this. My grandfather had a horse and it won the Kentucky Derby in 1960. The name of the horse was Venetian Way. I was not even born but it is a pretty interesting piece of my family history.

Old 04-29-2008, 09:03 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Denny Walsh

57:80 That's Smokin'....
An Irishmen with a NY hat on.....I'm with Frank!

Life's Grand,
Denny Walsh

Old 04-29-2008, 10:49 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Richard Masson

Pyro will be completely overlooked after throwing in a dismal effort on that ground up tire stuff at Keeneland (that's not in California). A mediocre bunch this year, so go deep.

Old 04-30-2008, 04:59 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Patrick McHugh

Going with these 2 Denis of Cork and Tale of Ekati. Calvin B. going for the repeat and Mr Coa who i feel is the best jockey in the country.

Old 04-30-2008, 01:28 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank Rose

I've seen almost every prep race and there simply is no standout in this race, contrary to the chirpings of Big Brown's trainer Rick Dutrow. I am hoping they don't make Colonel John the favorite, because that could take him down. He should be along in time with Adriano coming up along. The Derby is a spectacle, but typically not a wise betting investment.