NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you give an opinion of a person or company your full name needs to be in your post. Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Football Cards Forum

Old 10-01-2014, 12:33 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Default New FB Acquisitions

I don't see any recent threads, so let's get one going!

I picked up this nice Redskins [can I still say that or is it now the "R" word?] cover of HOFer Bill Dudley.

Old 10-01-2014, 12:45 PM
Adam

Haven't posted anything on NET54 in a while and this is my first time on the football side. Just started collecting vintage football a few months back. Here are some of my better pickups:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 25057a_lg.jpg (77.9 KB, 2046 views)
File Type: jpg 25048a_lg.jpg (75.1 KB, 1774 views)
File Type: jpg 25049a_lg.jpg (74.5 KB, 1763 views)
File Type: jpg 25053a_lg.jpg (77.1 KB, 1760 views)
File Type: jpg 25054a_lg.jpg (78.0 KB, 1745 views)
File Type: jpg !!! (2).jpg (31.5 KB, 1730 views)
Old 10-01-2014, 01:44 PM

exhibitman - Get Redskins cards while you can, now. Ebay has a tendency to overreact in cases like this. I can fully see them banning anything with the word "Redskins" in the title or description. They've done it before with collectible Nazi Germany items, as well as banning items with the word "Cuba" in it because of the embargo, which included things like 100 year old stamps, coins and postcards.
Just think of all the cards and memorabilia that might be banned because of this.
My website for 1963 Topps football color variations -
Old 10-01-2014, 01:47 PM

BTW, nice REDSKINS cover. I have a Sammy Baugh from that same set.

NewEnglandbb.. - Love the 57's! In my opinion vintage football represents some of the best bargains around.
Old 10-01-2014, 02:48 PM
L@rry T1p+0n

Picked this up yesterday, the last card I needed to finish my '64 Topps set!
Larry

Old 10-01-2014, 02:52 PM
L@rry T1p+0n

Cut in half sure, but it's a genuine John Unitas rookie!
Old 10-02-2014, 01:02 AM

Larry, congrats on completing your 64 set. I'm only a little over 60% complete on mine.

About the '57 "half" card.
Funny (or sad) story: A few years back, at a local mall card show, I came across a dealer who had a pretty big stack of 1957 Topps cards that were cut in half, like your Unitas, sitting in his showcase. He wasn't a regular football guy and had no clue what they were. He really thought they were small sized football cards, until I showed him some of the same 57's, that I had bought at another table, that were not cut in half. I wasn't trying to be mean or nothing, I even waited until no other customers were lingering around to tell him. When he realized it you could tell he really had no clue, and I'll bet he paid some pretty decent money for them. You could just tell, he looked so disappointed.
Old 10-03-2014, 10:44 AM
L@rry T1p+0n

I've been out of town, and had the chance to visit a card shop while on vacation. Nice to have several hours to dig through a shop with plenty of vintage! Last pickup was sitting there in the showcase 1955 Topps AA Whizzer White error with the Gaynell Tinsley bio. Only two cards remain and I will complete this set. DYN that after his football career Whizzer served as a Supreme Court Justice for 31 years? Whizzer died in 2002 in Denver, and this is where I picked up the card, Denver!
Larry
 photo image-8.jpg
 photo image-9.jpg
Old 10-03-2014, 03:54 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Sure did. Back when I was in law school a friend of mine at a different school was invited to a dinner where White was speaking to students. I sent him my 55AA to get signed. He not only didn't have the nerve to ask White, he then lost the card.
Old 10-03-2014, 04:38 PM
L@rry T1p+0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
Sure did. Back when I was in law school a friend of mine at a different school was invited to a dinner where White was speaking to students. I sent him my 55AA to get signed. He not only didn't have the nerve to ask White, he then lost the card.
Adam all my "Whizzer" knowledge was gleaned today via Wikipedia Oh, and sorry your friend lost your card!
Larry