NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you give an opinion of a person or company your full name needs to be in your post. Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 04-13-2017, 09:31 AM

I never knew they approached Sockalexis' family to ask them about the logo, since he is often cited as the reason the team became the Cleveland Indians. In the interest of full disclosure, here is what the Sockalexis family stated:

Kenneth Paul in 1993, Sockalexis' oldest living relative at the time:

"Wahoo or Yahoo, it's more insulting than anything. I think they should change the whole thing to something else. It won't break my heart. It won't break anybody's." Paul's son, Kenneth Jr., has said of Chief Wahoo, "I wish they'd get rid of that smiling Indian head."
Old 04-13-2017, 10:51 AM
Kyle May

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
I never knew they approached Sockalexis' family to ask them about the logo, since he is often cited as the reason the team became the Cleveland Indians. In the interest of full disclosure, here is what the Sockalexis family stated:

Kenneth Paul in 1993, Sockalexis' oldest living relative at the time:

"Wahoo or Yahoo, it's more insulting than anything. I think they should change the whole thing to something else. It won't break my heart. It won't break anybody's." Paul's son, Kenneth Jr., has said of Chief Wahoo, "I wish they'd get rid of that smiling Indian head."
I wonder what he finds insulting about it. 1993 was before the Glory Days of the '90s Indians, and they still weren't a great team in '93. I wonder if that had anything to do with it.

I also wonder if there are any records of the Cleveland franchise asking Sockalexis himself what he thinks. After all, the Indians are rumored to be called the Indians because they signed the first Native American player.
Old 04-13-2017, 11:35 AM

I would think he's insulted at the depiction of a Native American. I think they adopted Chief Wahoo well after Sockalexis himself had died. The 1993 date is very important because in 1994, when the Indians were moving to Jacobs Field, they considered changing the logo. The quote from Sockalexis' family is from 1993, so likely during the time they were in discussions about replacing the logo.
Old 04-13-2017, 12:54 PM
Kyle May

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
I would think he's insulted at the depiction of a Native American. I think they adopted Chief Wahoo well after Sockalexis himself had died. The 1993 date is very important because in 1994, when the Indians were moving to Jacobs Field, they considered changing the logo. The quote from Sockalexis' family is from 1993, so likely during the time they were in discussions about replacing the logo.
Ah true. Chief Wahoo was adopted in the late '30s/early '40s.
Old 04-13-2017, 01:21 PM
Х r

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMayUSA6060 View Post
1) I'm referring to the live mascot. The logo has "black" facial hair which is just a cover up to make it more PC. And the Irish are a group of people by the way, and so depicting the leprechaun in an aggressive manner, with all Irish traits, would technically be stereotyping the Irish. Not that I care, nor do I think anyone should, just saying.

2/3) Would rebranding in return lose fans though? And would they lose more fans, and sell less merchandise if they rebranded? I'd say there's a good chance. The block C doesn't sell as well as Chief Wahoo I don't believe.

You're saying that the rebrand would almost guarantee a stronger following, but I don't think it would. Like I said, most Indians fans like Chief Wahoo, and it's not like a Cubs fan is going to jump onto the Indians bandwagon all of a sudden.
Obviously sidetracked, but the Leprechaun is fictional IRISH myth. If the Irish have a fictional character then it would make sense that it may look Irish.

I never said a Cubs fan would switch, again you are missing the logic of what I am stating. I said anyone that would be a fan, but can't bring themselves to be so under the current name/mascot may be pulling back a little from association. I don't believe (obviously no facts to back up) changing will harm their team loyalty, I only believe it could strengthen it by anyone currently offended.

Again, though, I am not going to be protesting it. I just don't see any reason for the resistance.

To add to the conversation I think it would be interesting to see them reclaim the Spiders name. There is already built in history with the name.
Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal, but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also. Matthew 6:19-21
Old 04-13-2017, 01:44 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by bn2cardz View Post
Obviously sidetracked, but the Leprechaun is fictional IRISH myth. If the Irish have a fictional character then it would make sense that it may look Irish.

I never said a Cubs fan would switch, again you are missing the logic of what I am stating. I said anyone that would be a fan, but can't bring themselves to be so under the current name/mascot may be pulling back a little from association. I don't believe (obviously no facts to back up) changing will harm their team loyalty, I only believe it could strengthen it by anyone currently offended.

Again, though, I am not going to be protesting it. I just don't see any reason for the resistance.

To add to the conversation I think it would be interesting to see them reclaim the Spiders name. There is already built in history with the name.
Well, not me, but some people get really creeped out by spiders. My mom really hates them.

Much to her credit, when I was little she taught me about spiders as part of nature. We had some pretty big yellow and black garden spiders, and we caught grasshoppers in the field next door and tossed them into the web to see what the spiders did. I was in Jr High before she let on how scared she is of them.

Steve B
Old 04-13-2017, 01:52 PM
Pa.ul Mat.is.ak

I'm surprised this hasn't been referenced yet:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...=.c7487b7a3bca
Old 04-13-2017, 02:40 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Ridiculous. Maybe we should have a team with a horrible stereotypical Jewish banker image with a big nose called the Greedy Bankers or a big fat Italian guy in a white tee shirt called the Gangsters. Maybe a German guy who looks like a Nazi. Yeah, obviously that wouldn't fly for a nanosecond.

The fact that US Indians who are on one of the very lowest socioeconomic rungs of our society and are basically struggling to put food in their kids mouths most days have other things to worry about hardly makes it right. Drove through Indian reservations in North Dakota last summer. Not surprised to hear American baseball mascots are not high on their list of worries.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 04-13-2017 at 02:43 PM.
Old 04-13-2017, 03:10 PM

To be fair that article only addresses a survey of 500 Native Americans. There are 5.2 million Native Americans in the US (2010 census). But even if you want to give it credence, the survey was only about the name of the Redskins. They didn't ask about how Native Americans feel about being portrayed in the Cleveland logo, which I think we should be able to agree is a less than flattering stereotype.
Old 04-13-2017, 03:23 PM

I have come to like the modern Indians logo, Chief Wahoo not the red C. Well I guess the red C is fine too, but it is kinda boring even when they used it in the 80s and had the block letter uniforms. There is just something about the whole color scheme they came up with in the mid 90s when they got good. The dark blue with Chief Wahoo and the red brim, the dark blue jerseys. It looks really nice.

The part I do not get is that people are on such a crusade about a team and how "they" think it is portraying a certain people, yet there is no big hubaloo about the actual problems those people have. It makes me wonder if the Redskins and Indians (and it would need to include the other team that use the name like Kingston and Springfield) and whatever other teams get their names and logos taken away, that no one will them remember these types of people.

It is these stories of these sports teams with their names and logos that keeps those stories alive. It might sound like a bad thing to say.