NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you give an opinion of a person or company your full name needs to be in your post. Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 02-21-2018, 09:35 AM

The extra "white cloud" above the trees on this 68 Curt Flood card has been noted as a print variation, but until today, I had not noticed that this print variation has variations. The cloud appears to come in various sizes. I wondered if this cloud was similar to the cloud appearing on the 461-492 68 Topps cards. However, the Belanger card to the left of the Flood card does not appear to have a cloud appearing on it's right edge to match the Flood card's cloud.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 68 flood a.jpg (76.2 KB, 140 views)
File Type: jpg 68 flood b.jpg (80.4 KB, 141 views)
File Type: jpg 68 flood c.jpg (70.6 KB, 139 views)
Old 02-21-2018, 11:33 AM
Al Richter

Wonder if this defect shows up on any versions of his MB cards. It does not appear on the one in my MB set

Last edited by ALR-bishop; 02-21-2018 at 11:36 AM.
Old 02-21-2018, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
Wonder if this defect shows up on any versions of his MB cards. It does not appear on the one in my MB set
The variable clouds do not show up on my MB copy either or on any of the other MB copies of this card I have handled over the years. Based on how the MB cards were produced (on a sheet with FB and HR cards)separate from regular Topps cards, my guess is that this print variation is only going to be found on regular issued cards.
Old 02-21-2018, 12:25 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by savedfrommyspokes View Post
This 63 Fleer BRobby came today as part of a group of cards I won on ebay....in the images for the listing, it appeared someone had colored the front borders of this card, but the green on the front is actually due to the front having the most profound wet sheet transfer I have ever come across. The green on the front border is very crisp and heavy as compared to other wet sheet transfers I have seen. The green on the front of this card is as dark of a green as I have on some backs of other cards from this set. While I have several 60 Fleer FB this has occurred with, I have never seen this with a 63 Fleer baseball card...anyone have any 63 Fleers like this?
I don't think that is a wet sheet transfer with two colors. More likely explanation is they ran the sheet through to clear the press during some sort of maintenance or set-up and then accidentally used it in the run rather than scrapping it.

Last edited by Exhibitman; 02-21-2018 at 12:26 PM.
Old 02-21-2018, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
I don't think that is a wet sheet transfer with two colors. More likely explanation is they ran the sheet through to clear the press during some sort of maintenance or set-up and then accidentally used it in the run rather than scrapping it.
Originally, I thought the same thing. But all of the print is mirror imaged (as it would be with a wet sheet transfer). Now, I am not a print process expert, but if the printer ran this sheet through to clear the press and caused this, wouldn't the printed portion appear normally instead of mirror imaged?

This card could also be caused by a combination of a wet sheet transfer (the mirror imaged print) and running the sheet back through the press (the green border) for some reason.
Old 02-21-2018, 05:44 PM
Steve Birmingham

Most of the very clear wet sheet transfers are actually cylinder impressions.

The inked plate prints to the offset blanket, and that prints to the cardstock or paper, backed up by the impression cylinder, basically a smooth steel roller. Without it, imagine the difference between using a rubber stamp on a paper placed on a desk compared to a paper you're just holding.

If there's a misfeed, or some other reason the press runs without a sheet being between the offset blanket and the impression cylinder the offset sheet prints to the impression cylinder.
The next sheet, possibly more, but at a minimum the next sheet gets pressed against the impression cylinder by the offset blanket (Loads of force there!)
And that prints to the reverse side of that sheet.
Old 02-21-2018, 06:40 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Is this one well-known yet?

1953 Bowman Color - [Base] #1 - Davey Williams [Good*to*VG‑EX]
Courtesy of COMC.com
Three dots on bottom left corner of 1953 Bowman Color #1 Davey Williams. Recurring print defect. 3 of the 18 or so on COMC have it.
1910 Painted handkerchief of GA Tech pennant girl by F. Earl Christy sold by Atlanta Toy Museum on eBay circa 2000.
COMC store: https://www.comc.com/Users/mjohnatgt,sh,i100

Last edited by swarmee; 02-21-2018 at 06:40 PM.
Old 02-21-2018, 08:08 PM
Al Richter

It's much better known now, John

Last edited by ALR-bishop; 02-22-2018 at 10:20 AM.
Old 02-21-2018, 08:24 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

For some reason my Copy/Paste buffer still had a Jerry Rice card I posted yesterday. Did you use the "wayback machine" to see the pre-edit or just happen to see it during the minute it was Rice?
1910 Painted handkerchief of GA Tech pennant girl by F. Earl Christy sold by Atlanta Toy Museum on eBay circa 2000.
COMC store: https://www.comc.com/Users/mjohnatgt,sh,i100
Old 02-22-2018, 10:08 AM

Came across this card today....the back caught my attention first. As I flipped through the lot of cards this was card was a part of, I saw #25 and thought I had a Whitey Ford card. Not to be, the back was Tom Surdivant(?), and the front was Pete Runnels. It appears the front of Runnels card may have been pasted on the Sturdivant back. However, still curious about the #25 Sturdivant, I turned this up:

http://keitholbermann.mlblogs.com/2012/02/20/2114902/

This Sturdivant portion of this card is part of a 57 Topps salesman panel....does anyone know what the front of this panel looks like?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (78.1 KB, 114 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (73.2 KB, 113 views)