NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you give an opinion of a person or company your full name needs to be in your post. Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-07-2006, 06:44 PM
Administrator

Default Today's Baseball and the Playoffs- O/T

Posted By: moderator

Since the other thread had 127 posts I figured I would lock it and start another. Have at it guys....

Old 10-07-2006, 07:33 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Judge Dred (Fred)

All right, I get to start things off... why with: "Jeter Sucks" - just kidding... I'd take him on my team any day. I'm not saying he's the second coming of Hans Wagner but he'd do.

Looks grim for the Twinkies... The A's are about to break their streak of final game losses!!!

I just hope those Tigers take it to the Yanks and at least make it a good series. It'll probably end up being one of the better divisional series.

Old 10-07-2006, 07:38 PM
Administrator

Posted By: runscott

Tomorrow's headlines: "Twinkies Had Bad Filling"

Old 10-07-2006, 07:46 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Lichtman

As a Mets fan, I think they'll sneak into the WS despite losing their 1 and 3 pitchers; the NL is so weak they should manage. My biggest fear is having to play the Yankees without Pedro and El Duque; with them I think the Mets could take them but without it could be humiliating.

Old 10-07-2006, 07:48 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Todd Schultz

but they didn't show up at all. That looked nothing like the team I paid Direct TV to watch all year, and it's hard to believe they've made the postseason 4 of the past 5 years.

I knew the Twins were in trouble with starting pitching, but did not expect to see the hitters disappear with those deer in the headlights expressions on their faces (especially with men on base). I also was surprised they all decided to read Dick Stuart's fielding manual before the series. Sadly, I was not so surprised to see Torii Hunter play with his head up his a$$.

Still, they have Santana, Liriano and three rookie starting pitchers who tasted success at the big league level. Throw in Mauer and Morneau, maybe Cuddyer and some assorted other hitting talent, along with the best bullpen in baseball, and it looks good for the near future.

Hats off to the A's. They have solid pitching, as do the Tigers. The Yankees do not, which is why that again this year they will not be crowned champs.

Old 10-07-2006, 08:06 PM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

If he isn't risking permanent injury, he ****ing better be in there! You don't wuss out of a playoff for a muscle strain. I wonder what the over/under is on that...

The Twins choked up worse than Jimmie Foxx...Perhaps Hunter needs to hear what we tell our Little Leaguers: Stay on your feet and make the safe play.

As much as it saddens me to say it, I agree that the Yankees are not likely to win it all with their pitching, unless Randy Johnson does a Dracula and has a remarkable series of outings. Mussina isn't a #1 and won't carry the staff; neither is Wang (This is my friend, Mr. Wang--no offense...I hear this place is restricted, Wang, so don't tell 'em you're Jewish, okay?). Their middle relief is suspect at best and Rivera is a question mark. The only way I see them winning it all is if their hitters go on a tear and allow the staff to give up 5 runs a game. Not a real likely scenario.

Old 10-07-2006, 08:10 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

There was a bit of a knotty problem in today's game. The Twins had a man on third base with two outs. The batter struck out, but the catcher dropped the ball and had to make the putout at first base. It appeared that both the batter and catcher nonchallanted it to first, and that the runner on third crossed the plate before the putout was made. If the runner at third did in fact cross the plate first, why wouldn't that run count? There was no forceout, and the ball was live. Just one of those plays I never considered before.

Old 10-07-2006, 08:47 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Lichtman

Adam, I'd agree with you on this point normally except you have to appreciate that no one else has any pitching this year either-and incredibly, with Pedro and El Duque down, the Yanks may have the best pitching of any team remaining-and certainly the best hitting by far. The Mets have better middle relief but that's about it now. Hard to think the Mets have a chance, though, when you consider that games 3, 4 and 5 of the WS could be started by Trachsel, Oliver Perez, and John Maine. Maine is a 5 really and the other two bark like dogs....

Old 10-07-2006, 09:36 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joann

AAAAIIIIIEEEEEEEEE! Anyone just hear Ernie Harwell call the top of the 4th in the Tigers/Yankees game??? "STRIKE three - he stood there like a house by the side of the road." Gives goosebumps.

I was actually wishing even a Yankee would hit a home run, just to hear Ernie say it was looonnnngggg gone.

It was good to hear him again. He hasn't lost a step.

Joann

Old 10-08-2006, 02:15 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott Gross

Actually, a play at a base after a dropped third stike is a force out.
(((One of my favorite baseball rules, don't have time right now, I'll explain later)))