NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you give an opinion of a person or company your full name needs to be in your post. Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
Shop Ebay Promotions
Vintage Memorabilia
Pre WWII-(Pre 1942) Baseball
Post WWII (1942-1980) Baseball
Modern (1980-present) Baseball

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-11-2019, 05:51 PM
Jimmy Knowle$

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yastrzemski Sports View Post
Hi. I am here. If he says they were bought before he was born I am assuming 20+ years ago - probably sometime in the 80s or 90s. I have only had a store here since 2006. I had family in Cooperstown and spent a couple of weeks here every summer but I was a kid myself and don’t remember seeing anything like this. Probably likely that his dad picked up some items here and at the Albany shows at the Polish Community Center and he also mentioned auctions. But it’s before my time to know exactly where they came from.
I did send him a message with an offer to help if he was in the area. I carry card savers and can help him get a submission ready for psa, to determine which are appropriate for grading, give an estimate of value, etc. I haven’t heard back but the offer is still out there.
Thanks Adam.
Old 02-12-2019, 02:00 AM
Orlando Rodriguez

13 pages of comments, and I only counted one mention of PWCC. I wonder how PWCC manages to survive when almost none of the members on this board consign with them. So weird. Wonder where they get all those cards from.

Last edited by orly57; 02-12-2019 at 02:02 AM.
Old 02-12-2019, 03:20 AM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by orly57 View Post
13 pages of comments, and I only counted one mention of PWCC. I wonder how PWCC manages to survive when almost none of the members on this board consign with them. So weird. Wonder where they get all those cards from.
I assume this is said in jest. I consign most cards I sell through pwcc. And if I inherited these cards that's probably were most would wind up after getting them graded. But for someone with little hobby knowledge I think the OP would probably be better off selling the entire lot to a dealer who buys collections.

If he is willing to take the time to educate himself and spend some money authenticating and grading the cards he may be able to net a little more either selling them on his own, or consigning the big cards to pwcc and selling the rest here or on Ebay.

Despite popular opinion on this board lotg is one of the last places I would consider. I have read and heard about too many issues with them.

http://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/pokerplyr80

Last edited by pokerplyr80; 02-12-2019 at 03:22 AM.
Old 02-12-2019, 10:29 AM
Orlando Rodriguez

Yeah, I was kind of laughing to myself as I read the posts. PWCC is like the new Dick Towle of the board: a bunch of people use them, but few will admit to it. Not sure why.
Anyway, I totally agree with you that they absolutely need to get graded. I would bet that pwcc would send them for grading at their cost (with potentially more favorable PSA grades since they come from PWCC). If not, then he can find someone who will. Where I disagree with you is the suggestion that he sell on his own. You know how big a gap there can be between two cards OF THE SAME GRADE. A novice doesn’t know that the psa 3 that pops up on vcp isn’t as well centered or registered as his. He may assume all 3’s are the same and get ripped off. It’s too much for a novice to grasp in a short time. Also, any dealer who buys the collection will probably take more than 20% off.
A lot is being made of the 10-20% that an auction house will take, but the reality is that if he went on the BST, he would be offered 10-20% less anyway. Rarely does anyone offer full price on BST. In fact, that is one of the benefits of BST: the seller makes a quicker sale (or avoids eBay fees) and the buyer doesn’t deal with BP (or paying the seller’s ebay fees). In short, I’m not sure that the 10-20% can ever truly be avoided...especially by a guy who simply doesn’t know enough about the hobby to asses a proper value. If he’s going to lose that 10-20% anyway, he might as well have someone do all the work for him. The evaluation that needs to be done is: where can he maximize his profit? Where are the most eyeballs going to see the cards? I think his cards are perfect for PWCC. I think REA or HA may be overkill on these particular cards. Having have said all that, as I wrote earlier, I would expect for them to cover grading costs. If they won’t, then he should find someone who will.
As a side-note, i too think that he should keep a couple for sentimental reasons.

Last edited by orly57; 02-12-2019 at 12:05 PM.
Old 02-12-2019, 12:38 PM
Ti.m H.
Tim Hu,nt

Did someone say he would get a better price from a dealer? With little experience in the hobby?
Old 02-12-2019, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orly57 View Post
Yeah, I was kind of laughing to myself as I read the posts. PWCC is like the new Dick Towle of the board: a bunch of people use them, but few will admit to it. Not sure why.
Anyway, I totally agree with you that they absolutely need to get graded. I would bet that pwcc would send them for grading at their cost (with potentially more favorable PSA grades since they come from PWCC). If not, then he can find someone who will. Where I disagree with you is the suggestion that he sell on his own. You know how big a gap there can be between two cards OF THE SAME GRADE. A novice doesn’t know that the psa 3 that pops up on vcp isn’t as well centered or registered as his. He may assume all 3’s are the same and get ripped off. It’s too much for a novice to grasp in a short time. Also, any dealer who buys the collection will probably take more than 20% off.
A lot is being made of the 10-20% that an auction house will take, but the reality is that if he went on the BST, he would be offered 10-20% less anyway. Rarely does anyone offer full price on BST. In fact, that is one of the benefits of BST: the seller makes a quicker sale (or avoids eBay fees) and the buyer doesn’t deal with BP (or paying the seller’s ebay fees). In short, I’m not sure that the 10-20% can ever truly be avoided...especially by a guy who simply doesn’t know enough about the hobby to asses a proper value. If he’s going to lose that 10-20% anyway, he might as well have someone do all the work for him. The evaluation that needs to be done is: where can he maximize his profit? Where are the most eyeballs going to see the cards? I think his cards are perfect for PWCC. I think REA or HA may be overkill on these particular cards. Having have said all that, as I wrote earlier, I would expect for them to cover grading costs. If they won’t, then he should find someone who will.
As a side-note, i too think that he should keep a couple for sentimental reasons.
Well said.
Old 02-12-2019, 01:02 PM
Orlando Rodriguez

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalupacollects View Post
Did someone say he would get a better price from a dealer? With little experience in the hobby?
Jessie wrote: “But for someone with little hobby knowledge I think the OP would probably be better off selling the entire lot to a dealer who buys collections.”
Old 02-12-2019, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yastrzemski Sports View Post
Hi. I am here. If he says they were bought before he was born I am assuming 20+ years ago - probably sometime in the 80s or 90s. I have only had a store here since 2006. I had family in Cooperstown and spent a couple of weeks here every summer but I was a kid myself and don’t remember seeing anything like this. Probably likely that his dad picked up some items here and at the Albany shows at the Polish Community Center and he also mentioned auctions. But it’s before my time to know exactly where they came from.
I did send him a message with an offer to help if he was in the area. I carry card savers and can help him get a submission ready for psa, to determine which are appropriate for grading, give an estimate of value, etc. I haven’t heard back but the offer is still out there.
Thank you very much for the offer. I really appreciate it. I have been in your store before when I visited last visited the Hall. Great place. Im still deciding and working on what I want to do. Ill be down again to visit Copperstown with or without the cards most likely this summer! Such an awesome place.

Adding a few more photos (still shitty sorry) Going to be continuing to take better photos as I transfer the cards, Ive been very busy at work and doing projects around my house, but I will continue to try to update when I can, thank you guys.

Last edited by Skatehabitat24; 02-12-2019 at 01:46 PM.
Old 02-12-2019, 01:58 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalupacollects View Post
No, I said he would probably be better off going that route. Obviously it would depend on the offer, but I would certainly get one before deciding what to do. Sending everything to pwcc may yield the highest return, but you never know with auctions and there would be shipping and grading costs added and it would take a lot more time.

There are too many unknowns to say what will end up being the best route. If pwcc will send the cards to psa for him that may be the better option. But there is something to be said for moving everything at once and not taking any risk.

http://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/pokerplyr80
Old 02-12-2019, 02:33 PM
Ben North

Still haven't got any pics from the OP but here is a picture of his Vance next to a known real one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Net54.jpg (66.5 KB, 403 views)