NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you give an opinion of a person or company your full name needs to be in your post. Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
Shop Ebay Promotions
Vintage Memorabilia
Pre WWII-(Pre 1942) Baseball
Post WWII (1942-1980) Baseball
Modern (1980-present) Baseball

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 01-14-2019, 03:24 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Some more great research... many thanks!
Old 01-20-2019, 09:57 AM
Mi.ke Huds*n

Default Circa 1910 Kalamazoo Kazoos pennant

Picked this up yesterday at an antique show. I ended up going late so expectations were low. At the last table, I saw a pile of old pennants, mostly college and points of interest. From the what I can tell, this is a 1910 Kalamazoo Kazoos minor league pennant from the Southern Michigan League. Pennant is big 14x34 inches. Does anyone have any info on this? Really couldn’t find much.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 37E73EBE-27AC-4BA3-BBB9-14C9244382F9.jpg (20.4 KB, 204 views)

Last edited by KrenBats; 01-20-2019 at 07:23 PM.
Old 01-20-2019, 10:18 AM
Rob

Very cool Kazooz pennant. Are you convinced it’s vintage? It looks almost to good to be true, although I can’t really imagine anyone doing repros of the Southern Michigan League.
Old 01-20-2019, 10:39 AM
Mi.ke Huds*n

There are some condition issues, with a small hole underneath So Mich League and there are pin holes. The felt is soft and thick. Overall the condition is really good. Would seem odd that someone repro’ed it. Any signs to look for?
Old 01-20-2019, 12:41 PM
R@nd@ll Ad@ms

Forgot I had this pennant:

central ass.jpg

photo5.jpg
Old 01-20-2019, 01:53 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrenBats View Post
There are some condition issues, with a small hole underneath So Mich League and there are pin holes. The felt is soft and thick. Overall the condition is really good. Would seem odd that someone repro’ed it. Any signs to look for?
It’s probably legit. It seems to be in fantastic shape for something over 100 years old. Congrats!
Old 01-20-2019, 04:28 PM

Default DeMar Mfg. Co. and the backwards pennant

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
Some more great research... many thanks!
Found a little more info on DeMar Mfg. Co....

DeMar appears to have incorporated in 1911. It was founded in Buffalo, NY by Clifford E. DeMar, Elizabeth A. Winship, and Jessamine M. Davis. When it first opened it was located at 109 Oak St. inside the H.D. Taylor Building, a much larger manufacturer of automotive components.

In those early days they were having trouble finding sewing machine operators and routinely advertised in the classifieds for such labor.

By 1914 Clifford DeMar apparently skipped town, leaving some of his creditors (perhaps even Ms. Winship and Davis) high and dry. Back then there were no credit bureaus like Experian. There were, however, "credit men" whose job it was to keep track of debtors in their area and publish their names in annual publications, such as the Bulletin of National Association of Credit Men. Mr. DeMar's name appears in both the 1914 and 1915 editions of the above publication as a missing debtor. Such notoriety was intended to warn others that men like him were too risky to lend money to.

But DeMar Mfg. Co. continued on without its namesake. In 1917 they were still making pennants and other novelty items. Evidently the company was doing well without Mr. DeMar, as they had moved out of the Taylor Building to some new digs up the street: first 170 Oak St; then 270 N. Division St.

It doesn't look like the company survived the Great Depression. And, it seems their pennants were limited to travel and collegiate pennants only.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DeMarMfgCoPennants.jpg (19.1 KB, 182 views)
Old 01-21-2019, 06:18 PM
Greg

Really enjoying these minor league pennants ... here’s one of my favorites ... does anyone recognize the graphic (besides the bison head)?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 26256E66-2DCD-4DBF-B4BC-7FEE3D253017.jpg (21.2 KB, 165 views)
Old 01-22-2019, 12:23 AM
Ja.son Hugh.es

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrenBats View Post
Picked this up yesterday at an antique show. I ended up going late so expectations were low. At the last table, I saw a pile of old pennants, mostly college and points of interest. From the what I can tell, this is a 1910 Kalamazoo Kazoos minor league pennant from the Southern Michigan League. Pennant is big 14x34 inches. Does anyone have any info on this? Really couldn’t find much.
That’s a nice pennant. Is there a tag on the back?
Old 01-22-2019, 04:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetahat View Post
Really enjoying these minor league pennants ... here’s one of my favorites ... does anyone recognize the graphic (besides the bison head)?
Looks like Trench recycled their Fenway Park artwork for Offerman Stadium!