NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you give an opinion of a person or company your full name needs to be in your post. Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 06-04-2017, 05:38 PM
Peter_Spaeth's Avatar
Peter_Spaeth Peter_Spaeth is offline
Peter Spaeth
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 10,918
Default

He's had 3 100 RBI seasons in LA and is well on his way to another one. Sure he dropped off a bit from the level at which he had been amassing record numbers, but it's not exactly like he's been bad.
__________________
Proud hare flipper.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 06-04-2017, 07:37 PM
nat's Avatar
nat nat is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 275
Default

Considering that he's a DH now he's been ... adequate. And is making way too much to be a merely adequate DH. I always hate seeing the greats lose a step.

Players usually don't get a say on which cap they wear on their plaque. IIRC Wade Boggs asked for a Devil Rays cap and the hall said "no".
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 06-04-2017, 09:00 PM
clydepepper's Avatar
clydepepper clydepepper is offline
Raymond Culpepper
Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Columbus, GA
Posts: 3,388
Default

I sure hope that he has accomplished this 'without help'.



.
__________________
.
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on others lives" - Jackie Robinson

MY BIG CONCERNS ABOUT AMERICA:

Internally- We spend too much time assuring our rights without learning the responsibilities that should accompany them.
Externally - No matter how much we claim to take the higher moral ground, we have neither respected nor attempted to understand other cultures.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 06-05-2017, 10:18 AM
nat's Avatar
nat nat is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 275
Default

There's no reason to think that he's had help. They've been testing for almost his entire career and he's never come back positive. He also has a very ordinary aging pattern. He was good when he was young, got better in his late 20's, and has dropped off as he's gotten older. The only thing really unusual is how good he was, but by definition great players are unusual. The really suspicious aging patterns are the "double peaks", where a player is great in his late 20's (like normal), declines, and then is great again (this is what Bonds did). That kind of aging is possible but very very unlikely to happen naturally. And Pujols hasn't been doing it, he's been getting worse (with normal ups and downs) as he's been moving through his 30s.

He's also kept the skills that you expect a player to naturally keep as he gets older, and lost the ones that you expect him to lose. He's still got his power, and power is often the last skill to go. But his batting average has cratered - as expected. Batting average is in part a product of players being able to leg out infield hits, something that older players have trouble doing. Defense is also one of the first skills to go (usually), and Pujols went from being an extraordinary defensive player to being a DH. (He was only a first baseman because he hurt his arm and couldn't play the outfield any more, and they already had Rolen - an all-time great defensive 3B - on the other side of the diamond. On any other team he'd have spent his career at third.)

So, of course anything is possible, but none of the evidence indicates that Pujols had any help. He's just a great player.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 06-05-2017, 12:30 PM
Peter_Spaeth's Avatar
Peter_Spaeth Peter_Spaeth is offline
Peter Spaeth
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 10,918
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nat View Post
There's no reason to think that he's had help. They've been testing for almost his entire career and he's never come back positive. He also has a very ordinary aging pattern. He was good when he was young, got better in his late 20's, and has dropped off as he's gotten older. The only thing really unusual is how good he was, but by definition great players are unusual. The really suspicious aging patterns are the "double peaks", where a player is great in his late 20's (like normal), declines, and then is great again (this is what Bonds did). That kind of aging is possible but very very unlikely to happen naturally. And Pujols hasn't been doing it, he's been getting worse (with normal ups and downs) as he's been moving through his 30s.

He's also kept the skills that you expect a player to naturally keep as he gets older, and lost the ones that you expect him to lose. He's still got his power, and power is often the last skill to go. But his batting average has cratered - as expected. Batting average is in part a product of players being able to leg out infield hits, something that older players have trouble doing. Defense is also one of the first skills to go (usually), and Pujols went from being an extraordinary defensive player to being a DH. (He was only a first baseman because he hurt his arm and couldn't play the outfield any more, and they already had Rolen - an all-time great defensive 3B - on the other side of the diamond. On any other team he'd have spent his career at third.)

So, of course anything is possible, but none of the evidence indicates that Pujols had any help. He's just a great player.
I think the reason for doubt has as much to do with his physical appearance as anything.
__________________
Proud hare flipper.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 06-05-2017, 01:03 PM
KMayUSA6060 KMayUSA6060 is offline
Kyle May
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Northeast Ohio
Posts: 693
Default

I'm pretty sure Pujols juiced. To what extent, who knows, but wasn't he on one of those Balco reports or whatever? It wouldn't surprise me if the MLB quietly pulled him aside, told him to knock it off, then swept it all under the rug with him being one of the more well-liked players in the game at the time and baseball needing someone like him to be the "face" of the league.

Congrats to him. I wish he wouldn't pass Thome, but that's almost inevitable.
__________________
Faith. Family. Country. Baseball. Baseball Cards.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 06-05-2017, 10:14 PM
cardsfan73's Avatar
cardsfan73 cardsfan73 is offline
Scott Ti3k
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Missouri
Posts: 627
Default

I have never heard any connection w/ Pujols & Balco.

The one big story I remember about Pujols & PEDS was when former major league player Jack Clark who said Pujols' ex-trainer used to "shoot him up" with performance-enhancing drugs. The trainer Chris Mihlfeld, denied the charges. Albert said he was going to take legal action.. Suddenly Jack changed his story and he and his co-host Kevin Slaten (St. Louis' wanna be sports talk shock jock) both were fired.

More on that story here: http://m.mlb.com/news/article/56426970//

The biggest questions I remember hearing about Pujols is that he was a lot older than he claimed to be. That's why he lasted until the 13th round. The age concern and the fact that he didn't have a "baseball body". Not that he was fat per say, just didnt't look like your prototypical major league prospect. Lucky for St. Louis they took a chance on a "fat kid" who could hit.

I like to think he was/is clean but to be honest nothing would shock me anymore. But until someone can show me absolute proof I am going to give him the benefit of the doubt!
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 06-05-2017, 10:16 PM
cardsfan73's Avatar
cardsfan73 cardsfan73 is offline
Scott Ti3k
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Missouri
Posts: 627
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
I think the reason for doubt has as much to do with his physical appearance as anything.
What about his physical appearance? He went from being a chubby kid, to a in shape young man to getting out of shape older man. Maybe I have missed something?
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 06-05-2017, 10:23 PM
cardsfan73's Avatar
cardsfan73 cardsfan73 is offline
Scott Ti3k
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Missouri
Posts: 627
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMayUSA6060 View Post
I'm pretty sure Pujols juiced. To what extent, who knows, but wasn't he on one of those Balco reports or whatever? It wouldn't surprise me if the MLB quietly pulled him aside, told him to knock it off, then swept it all under the rug with him being one of the more well-liked players in the game at the time and baseball needing someone like him to be the "face" of the league.

Congrats to him. I wish he wouldn't pass Thome, but that's almost inevitable.
What makes you pretty sure? I would love to see your sources. If he was and there was proof the press would have been all over him just like they were with Bonds & McGwire.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 06-06-2017, 01:33 PM
clydepepper's Avatar
clydepepper clydepepper is offline
Raymond Culpepper
Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Columbus, GA
Posts: 3,388
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
I think the reason for doubt has as much to do with his physical appearance as anything.


...just as surely as you could tell I don't miss any meals
__________________
.
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on others lives" - Jackie Robinson

MY BIG CONCERNS ABOUT AMERICA:

Internally- We spend too much time assuring our rights without learning the responsibilities that should accompany them.
Externally - No matter how much we claim to take the higher moral ground, we have neither respected nor attempted to understand other cultures.
Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
OT: Coolest Home Runs You've Witnessed Stonepony Net54baseball Vintage (Pre-WWII) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions 72 07-18-2014 09:34 PM
Deadball era/home runs Archive Net54baseball Vintage (Pre-WWII) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions 4 01-27-2009 01:14 PM
Most home runs by number Archive Net54baseball Vintage (Pre-WWII) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions 13 09-14-2008 08:12 PM
home runs, statistics and steroids Archive Net54baseball Vintage (Pre-WWII) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions 33 10-16-2005 10:47 AM
Prodigous home runs Archive Net54baseball Vintage (Pre-WWII) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions 21 12-10-2004 09:02 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:30 AM.


ebay GSB