NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you give an opinion of a person or company your full name needs to be in your post. Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-05-2017, 02:50 PM
packs packs is online now
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 4,154
Default Hypothetical: when is a debut not a debut?

I was still thinking about Dustin Fowler and his Moonlight Graham moment earlier this year. Hypothetically, if you make your debut in a game that gets rained out in the third inning, and then sent down the next day never to reach the majors again, did you ever make your debut?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-05-2017, 04:31 PM
bravos4evr's Avatar
bravos4evr bravos4evr is offline
Nick Barnes
Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: South Mississippi
Posts: 642
Default

if they are going to replay the game entirely than no, you didn't because you would not have registered an official plate appearance.
__________________
"The large print giveth and the small print taketh away."- Tom Waits
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-06-2017, 09:15 PM
Peter_Spaeth's Avatar
Peter_Spaeth Peter_Spaeth is offline
Peter Spaeth
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 10,881
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravos4evr View Post
if they are going to replay the game entirely than no, you didn't because you would not have registered an official plate appearance.
Technically I suppose that's right, but I would still say under the hypothetical above that yes the guy played in the major leagues so it counts. By the way how is it treated if, say, a batter injures himself swinging at strike one and can't continue? Is he out (hard to believe), or does a new batter substitute, inheriting the count? If the latter (which has to be right) then the batter who swung at a pitch doesn't have an official plate appearance either. Yet that player clearly played in an official game.
__________________
Proud hare flipper.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 08-06-2017 at 09:26 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-06-2017, 10:13 PM
howard38 howard38 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 499
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Technically I suppose that's right, but I would still say under the hypothetical above that yes the guy played in the major leagues so it counts. By the way how is it treated if, say, a batter injures himself swinging at strike one and can't continue? Is he out (hard to believe), or does a new batter substitute, inheriting the count? If the latter (which has to be right) then the batter who swung at a pitch doesn't have an official plate appearance either. Yet that player clearly played in an official game.
Strangely a player does not even need to actually play to be credited w/having played a game. As soon as he is officially announced as having entered the game he has officially appeared in it according to the record books. Robin Yount's brother's stats show that he pitched one major league game yet he did not throw a pitch because he was injured while warming up.
__________________
Successful transactions with: Bfrench00, TonyO, Mintacular, Patriots74, Sean1125, Bocabirdman, Rjackson44, KC Doughboy, Kailes2872
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-07-2017, 07:09 PM
bravos4evr's Avatar
bravos4evr bravos4evr is offline
Nick Barnes
Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: South Mississippi
Posts: 642
Default

It's minutiae to be sure. But "technically" you have to have appeared in an official game and done something to garner such an appearance. Be it play the field , or hit or throw a pitch or "entered the game".

In a matter of fact, casual way, I'd say that you have to register a statistic to have debuted.
__________________
"The large print giveth and the small print taketh away."- Tom Waits
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-08-2017, 11:17 AM
Peter_Spaeth's Avatar
Peter_Spaeth Peter_Spaeth is offline
Peter Spaeth
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 10,881
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravos4evr View Post
It's minutiae to be sure. But "technically" you have to have appeared in an official game and done something to garner such an appearance. Be it play the field , or hit or throw a pitch or "entered the game".

In a matter of fact, casual way, I'd say that you have to register a statistic to have debuted.
So what about my hypothetical? Guy swung at a pitch, but I don't think he has an official at bat or any other statistic? But he clearly appeared, no?
__________________
Proud hare flipper.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-08-2017, 06:24 PM
bravos4evr's Avatar
bravos4evr bravos4evr is offline
Nick Barnes
Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: South Mississippi
Posts: 642
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
So what about my hypothetical? Guy swung at a pitch, but I don't think he has an official at bat or any other statistic? But he clearly appeared, no?
man IDK.... that's so weird as you wouldn't have a stat.......

I would think the next PA would be considered their debut in the records anyway
__________________
"The large print giveth and the small print taketh away."- Tom Waits
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-08-2017, 06:34 PM
Peter_Spaeth's Avatar
Peter_Spaeth Peter_Spaeth is offline
Peter Spaeth
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 10,881
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravos4evr View Post
man IDK.... that's so weird as you wouldn't have a stat.......

I would think the next PA would be considered their debut in the records anyway
Right but it's a hypothetical, suppose that one swing was it for the guy. Did he play in the majors or not? Surely he did, but no stat shows it. Of course, the pitch would show up in the pitcher's pitch count. I guess the solution is to call it a plate appearance with an asterisk or something. Only baseball gives rise to discussions like this.
__________________
Proud hare flipper.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 08-08-2017 at 06:35 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-09-2017, 04:01 PM
JollyElm's Avatar
JollyElm JollyElm is offline
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 2,729
Default

This entire hypothetical is really just a thought experiment.

The game was an 'official' MLB game at the time he entered into play (not a spring training or exhibition game), but only due to the technicality of a rain out did it become a footnote in history. So, as a human being, he clearly made his debut in the majors, whether or not the stats of the day counted in the record books.
__________________
Check out my bucket(s). Virtually everything is available for trade:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706
http://s1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee404/JollyElm/
http://s1036.photobucket.com/user/elmjack44/library/

I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.
- Casey Stengel
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-09-2017, 05:26 PM
Peter_Spaeth's Avatar
Peter_Spaeth Peter_Spaeth is offline
Peter Spaeth
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 10,881
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
This entire hypothetical is really just a thought experiment.

The game was an 'official' MLB game at the time he entered into play (not a spring training or exhibition game), but only due to the technicality of a rain out did it become a footnote in history. So, as a human being, he clearly made his debut in the majors, whether or not the stats of the day counted in the record books.
But was it? It isn't an official game until 5 innings, no? I agree with you, as I said in my first post, but it's still an interesting thought experiment.
__________________
Proud hare flipper.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 08-09-2017 at 05:26 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Leon's Debut as an editor Rich Klein Net54baseball Vintage (Pre-WWII) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions 16 07-09-2014 03:12 PM
Topps 1990 Debut X Card ALR-bishop Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present) 5 05-15-2014 05:49 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:54 AM.


ebay GSB