NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you give an opinion of a person or company your full name needs to be in your post. Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Closed Thread

Old 02-03-2018, 07:08 PM
D@v!d J@m3s

Nothing to add here.
Old 02-04-2018, 03:00 PM
Josh Adams

As I'm not a native american, whether I am offended or not is irrelevant.
If a native american tells me the image is offensive to them, well, I would have to believe that person.
I look at it this way, if there was a team called the New York Jewboys, and the logo was a hooked nosed caricature, I'd probably be offended.

I do find it somewhat humerous that the middle aged white men on THIS board are so bent out of shape about a sports logo.
Old 02-04-2018, 09:35 PM
Raymond Culpepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagewhitesox View Post
As I'm not a native american, whether I am offended or not is irrelevant.
If a native american tells me the image is offensive to them, well, I would have to believe that person.
I look at it this way, if there was a team called the New York Jewboys, and the logo was a hooked nosed caricature, I'd probably be offended.

I do find it somewhat humerous that the middle aged white men on THIS board are so bent out of shape about a sports logo.

Possible simple solution: lighten his skin. I would think that the Redskins would be more offensive than the Indians.

Back in the 1990's my local minor league team, a Cleveland affiliate, changed it's name from Indians to Red Stixx (local Indians would use sticks painted red to communicate between villages) - it was silly, but it worked for that team...for a while, then they changed it to Mudcats (Chattahoochee River catfish)- nobody was ever offended with that one.

Wouldn't that make things okay for everyone?

MY BIG CONCERNS ABOUT AMERICA:

Internally- We spend too much time assuring our rights without learning the responsibilities that should accompany them.
Externally - No matter how much we claim to take the higher moral ground, we have neither respected nor attempted to understand other cultures.

Last edited by clydepepper; 02-04-2018 at 09:40 PM. Reason: adding detail
Old 02-05-2018, 07:40 AM
Kyle May

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydepepper View Post
Possible simple solution: lighten his skin. I would think that the Redskins would be more offensive than the Indians.

Back in the 1990's my local minor league team, a Cleveland affiliate, changed it's name from Indians to Red Stixx (local Indians would use sticks painted red to communicate between villages) - it was silly, but it worked for that team...for a while, then they changed it to Mudcats (Chattahoochee River catfish)- nobody was ever offended with that one.

Wouldn't that make things okay for everyone?
I brought this up in the thread that was started in the main forum: why not go back to the original, "vintage" Chief Wahoo? I asked if that would be offensive, and people said yes because of the shape. I always thought it was the skin color, but I guess the shape offends people, too, because not all Native Americans look like that.

Current Project: Hall of Famers - 1 playing-days/involvement card (if possible) of each.
Progress: 150/323 (46.44%)

In-depth tracking here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing
Old 02-05-2018, 08:55 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

This thread has gotten a bit caustic and too political. We lost 2 longtime members recently because of politics. So with that let's get back to cards please....Again, I think we can all agree that we want harmony and peace in the world. That is all...

Last edited by Leon; 02-05-2018 at 10:29 AM.
Closed Thread