NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you give an opinion of a person or company your full name needs to be in your post. Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-02-2004, 03:23 PM
Administrator

Default unopened packs that contain T206s

Posted By: Andrew

I've read some informative posts regarding red flags when buying unopened packs said to contain a T206. However, there seems to be more posts regarding "bogus" packs than real ones. Does anyone have a scan of a pack that contains an actual T206 card?

Since I'm fairly new, I may have missed any images that were previously posted. Thanks.

A smooth sea never made a skilled mariner. - English Proverb

Old 08-02-2004, 03:32 PM
Administrator

Posted By: hankron

The main problem is dating the packs to a specfic year. A tax stamp (that 'tag' across the opening) was often used for some years after the date on the stamp-- meaning a 1909 stamp can be found on a 1915 pack. Most packs on eBay are either defineitely the wrong pack or the date is at best a guestimate (could be 1910, could be 1914)

The easy to remember key for collectors is to look for the overprinted date on the stamp-- I beleive in light and often hard to read red lettering. This date is usually NOT found on the packs, but the presence of an overprinted 1909 or 1910 date on the stamp is the most practically provable way to prove the date.

There is another way to prove the correct 'T206' era, by comparing the tax stamp with the branding-- but this is esoteric and difficult to remember.

And don't forget you want a relevant factory.

Old 08-02-2004, 03:43 PM
Administrator

Posted By: hankron

I add that a 1905 and a 1919 Sweet Caporal pack has essentially the same design-- so it's not like differentiating from across the room a 1954 baseball and a 1960 Topps football pack.

Old 08-02-2004, 07:03 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

A quick and easy way to tell a pack DOES NOT have a card in it is if the pack carries the Leggett & Myers name on it.

Jay

Old 08-02-2004, 07:49 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jon Canfield

Both David and Jay have pretty much summed up the answer to your question. It is easier to tell on some of the more obscure T-206 related packs, but Sweet Caporal & Piedmont's are nearly impossible. Below are a few images on some T-206 packs. All of them, except for the Sweet Caporal (which has a high possibility as it has a 1909 tax stamp and the right district number) and the Polar Bear (I do have an authentic Polar Bear but was too lazy to scan it - these look IDENTICAL though, did contain a baseball card. The Piedmont was actually just recently opened... Enjoy!

Old 08-02-2004, 08:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Andrew

Thanks for all the advice and especially the scans. I wonder if most who purchase authentics end up opening them?

A smooth sea never made a skilled mariner. - English Proverb

Old 08-02-2004, 08:03 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Max Weder

There's a Ty Cobb T206 with a Ty Cobb back on Mastro. Mastro mentions the "Ty Cobb brand". Did these Ty Cobb backed cards actually come in Ty Cobb brand packages or in some other brand? Have any packs ever surfaced at auction?

Thanks,

Max

Old 08-02-2004, 10:12 PM
Administrator

Here is a picture of the Ty Cobb tin that the Ty Cobb backed cards are associated with. This one sold for about $12,000 and I believe it was the last one auctioned off. At last count, I knew of 3 of them but there may be more that other board members know about. Now, the consensus is that the ty Cobb backed card was never inserted into the tobacco product. They were either created to be given away with the product, or all of the cards (10 or so in existence, where a test issue that never made it into the tin) To be honest, I'm not even sure if the tin was ever marketed. It may have been more of a test product, itself.

Old 08-03-2004, 12:24 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe P.

Andrew
(Login 67standup)
scans August 2 2004, 8:00 PM

"Thanks for all the advice and especially the scans. I wonder if most who purchase authentics end up opening them?"
Andrew, it all depends on whether you're a collector or an investor/speculator.

The collector would open it.

Jon - the scans are beautiful.

Old 08-03-2004, 08:00 AM
Administrator

Thanks Joe... In terms of opening, I think it all comes down to nerves. I would classify myself as more of a collector and I do have 2 unopened packs and really never got the urge (or should I say had the b*lls) to open them. My father is a dentist and I once had an x-ray taken of it but it shows nothing... That, in itself, is a valuable point because I have heard stories about "This pack has a card because my friend who works at an airport ran t through an x-ray machine..."