NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you give an opinion of a person or company your full name needs to be in your post. Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 05-22-2012, 11:29 AM

Thanks Marty, no current plans to go after the '78s -- the lack of stars in that set reduces my interest. Any suggestions on how best to maximize my return on my second graded-set of '74s?
Old 05-22-2012, 01:19 PM
Marty

I'm sure there are differing opinions, but I would think that you would probably do better selling them individually - the HOFers, especially in high grade, might do well for you. I'm not much of a seller, so I'm not sure about the best venues to move them - maybe others will have some good guidance. Good luck!
Old 05-22-2012, 03:59 PM
Phil Garry

IMHO since the entire set is PSA graded, I think that the complete set consigned to one of the auction houses such as Hake's, which has done quite well with Negro League cards and memorabilia lately, might realize the best prices for you, especially if it is the 2nd or 3rd best set on the registry.
Old 05-22-2012, 05:24 PM

Thanks Marty & Phil for your suggestions -- I'll be sure to check-out Hake's Auctions as a possibility if I decide to sell the set intact.
Old 01-26-2013, 02:16 PM

Just picked this up off the 'Bay as a potenital upgrade for my PSA registry set. Here's my question: crack-out or try to cross-over (I'd be OK with a "PSA 8")? If "cracked" does anyone have an easy and fool-proof method of extracting a card from a BVG case?

Old 01-26-2013, 03:45 PM
Phil Garry

I would do the cross-over service and let the experts handle it.
Old 03-29-2014, 11:05 AM

Sorry for the spam, but I figure if you're interested in reading about these cards, you may also be interested in picking some up for your collection. I'm breaking-up my second PSA-graded set, currently ranked 4th with a GPA of 7.72. All 36 cards are being individually auctioned on eBay by PWCC, ending this coming Thursday (April 3rd) between 9:48-10:06pm EDT. Here's a link to the auction closing first: card #1, Hall of Fame pitcher Smoky Joe Williams PSA 7.

I tried Hake's Auction House but they didn't respond to my inquiries.

Thanks, and if you have any questions please respond to the thread or PM me.

Good luck if you decide to bid!

Andy

Last edited by paleocards; 03-29-2014 at 11:09 AM.
Old 03-31-2014, 12:59 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Picked this up at the National last year:

Old 04-01-2014, 10:46 AM

Now that's a cool '74 Laughlin!! Well done.
Old 08-10-2015, 01:40 PM

An update and a plea after the Chicago National. Last year I decided to go after the '78s too and I now have the highest-graded '74 and '78 Laughlin Black Star sets on the PSA registry. Crossed-over seven cards from BVG and SGC to PSA in Chicago, here are the two biggest successes:

Checking the pop report after the National, I was blown away to discover that these five have recently been added to the population:

#15 Satchel Paige (HOF) PSA 9 (Pop 1, none higher)
#16 Louis Santop (HOF) PSA 10 (Pop 1, 3rd "10" ever graded from this set)
#19 Bullet Rogan (HOF) PSA 10 (Pop 1, 4th "10" ever graded from this set)
#31 Bill Monroe PSA 9 (Pop 2, none higher)
#34 Oscar Charleston (HOF) PSA 9 (Pop 2, none higher)

If anyone has these or knows who does, I am VERY interested in obtaining these cards via purchase, trade or a combination. Please PM me.

Thanks.

Last edited by paleocards; 08-10-2015 at 05:27 PM.