NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you give an opinion of a person or company your full name needs to be in your post. Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-07-2006, 06:32 PM
Administrator

Default Kirby Puckett dies

Posted By: Art M.

Just off the news......

Baseball Great Puckett Dies a Day After Suffering Stroke
Hall of Famer Underwent Surgery Before Losing His Life at Age 44

FORT MYERS, Fla. (March 6) - Hall of Fame outfielder Kirby Puckett died Monday of complications from a stroke. He was 44.

Puckett underwent neurosurgery Sunday and was transported to St. Jospeph's Hospital and Medical Center, where he died Monday afternoon.

"This is a sad day for the Minnesota Twins, Major League Baseball and baseball fans everywhere," Twins owner Carl Pohland said. "Kirby's impact on the Twins organization, state of Minnesota and the upper midwest is significant and goes well beyond his role in helping the Twins win two World Championships."

03-06-06 20:16 ET

Copyright 2006 SportsTicker. All active hyperlinks have been inserted by AOL

Old 03-07-2006, 06:54 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian Lindholme

Another tragic case that just proves baseball players are not immune to personal problems or health problems and many suffer the same troubles as non-athletes.

Kirby was far from perfect but on the field he was sure fun to watch.

God Bless
familytoad

Old 03-07-2006, 06:59 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Daniel Bretta

Makes one wonder if the pitch from Dennis Martinez wasn't in the end fatal.

RIP Kirby

Old 03-07-2006, 07:09 PM
Administrator

Posted By: DJ

The sudden death always humbles people to a certain degree. Who would have thought that thise great baseball would be taken from us at the age of forty-four?

I remember meeting Don Drysdale shortly before his death and I was simply in shock when the announcement came.

DJ

Old 03-07-2006, 07:30 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Robert

I heard on the news before he died that he gained a tremendous amount of weight after playing which I am sure was the cause of his poor health. It's sad because his career ended early and it seems he became depressed after he was forced out of baseball due to his glaucoma.

Old 03-07-2006, 07:53 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Chris Counts

In the locker room before Game 6 of the 1991 World Series, Kirby told his teammates "Jump on my back boys, I'm carrying you tonight." With his Twins down three games to two, he made a terrific rally-killing catch before hitting the game-winning home run that inspired the classic Jack Buck call, "And we'll see you tomorrow night!" In my 35 years as a baseball fan, I can't recall seeing anything quite so inspirational. It was like Roy Hobbs at the end of "The Natural." If sparks started raining down from the sky, I wouldn't have even noticed. I can still see him running around the bases, pumping his fist and flashing a big grin. That's how I'll always remember Kirby, one of my all-time favorites ...

Old 03-07-2006, 09:24 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Koteles

sad day. He was a rarity for sure. Not many right
hand hitters could hit like Kirby. This will hurt
alot of people.

Old 03-07-2006, 09:34 PM
Administrator

Posted By: john/z28jd

He was the first player to make the hall of fame whos career i was able to follow from day 1.Always loved to watch him play,the way he hustled and you could tell he loved to play.It truly is such sad news to hear him pass so young

Just like to add,like usual,as soon as someone famous passes the ebay scumbags come out of the woodworks.Over 1800 Kriby Puckett auctions listed in the last 3 hours,out of 4270 total items of his listed on ebay.You gotta love people who try to benefit immediately from someones death

Obviously the 600 an hour average is about right since in the last hour since i posted the above the count went from 4270 items to 4883.This price is just ridiculous,this card couldve been bought for $10 yesterday

http://cgi.ebay.com/1985-topps-kirby-puckett-rookie_W0QQitemZ8772973232QQcategoryZ70403QQrdZ1QQ cmdZViewItem

Old 03-07-2006, 10:19 PM
Administrator

Posted By: DJ

I have been watching the eBay count as well.It's absolutely amazing. I remember when Darryl Kile passed away, it went from twelve items to four hundred in six hours and the closer the end of the auction, the more it brought in. A signed card brought $191. Today you can basically pick up a signed Kile card for $25 so no one buy into the hype! I remember seeing someone pay $850 for a Payne Stewart 8x10.

This Puckett certified signed card below should sell for $40. At 6 P.M, it was at $109. Look at what it ended up selling for?

http://cgi.ebay.com/04-Leaf-Cerified-Auto-Kirby-Puckett-34-Autograph-HOF_W0QQitemZ8773829434QQcategoryZ55956QQrdZ1QQcmd ZViewItem

$400+?

You could have bought some nice low grade pre-war vintage cards for that price.

DJ

Old 03-07-2006, 11:54 PM
Administrator

Posted By: David Smith

I kind of take exception to being called a scumbag as far as selling my Puckett items on eBay. The way I look at it, it is a good business move.
Remember the old saying "strike while the iron is hot"? Well, that is what I am doing by selling my stuff on eBay.

There are some S74's I would like to buy that still have their original backing but I can't right now because I have some medical bills to pay. (No health insurance with my job and I passed a kidney stone a month or so ago and had to go to the hospital). By selling my Kirby Puckett items (which I no longer want and couldn't sell for very much before his death) to willing buyers, I can get some money in and (hopefully) pay my bills down or off. Then, I am closer to adding to my vintage baseball collection.