NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you give an opinion of a person or company your full name needs to be in your post. Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main PreWWII Forums > Net54baseball Vintage (Pre-WWII) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-19-2017, 09:35 AM
Peter Spaeth

How hard is it to monitor your (you fill in the blank) most expensive auctions? Especially with an (alleged) full time hire who is (allegedly) monitoring auctions for fraud? The ones I posted today were in their top five auctions and took less than a minute to find.

Yes, ebay is at fault, but so is PWCC.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 06-19-2017 at 09:36 AM.
Old 06-19-2017, 09:56 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
She is real. I spoke with her on the phone several months ago and expressed some big concerns.
Quote:
Originally Posted by slidekellyslide View Post
I knew as soon as Betsy told us that they were instituting a 10 retraction rule that they would regret it. As long as ebay allows it to happen it's going to happen and there are going to be bidders that abuse it. How many auctions do they have running at any one time? There is no way one person can monitor that especially in the sports card hobby where the percentage of slimeballs is extremely high. I would think that there could be some third party software developed to catch bid retractions and automatically send warnings or block bidders, it can't be that difficult to implement. But just like Ebay, PWCC doesn't really want bid retractors blocked from bidding.
And all along I thought "Betsy" was a bat purchased to knock all those slime balls out of the park while barefoot.

PURVEYOR OF NUMEROLOGICAL INSIGHT ON NET54

519/1000 Monster Number --- WHAT'S YOUR MONSTER NUMBER?

Update your MN today. Don't risk the consequences.

Over*600* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-17.
Over 229 satisfied Board members served.
Thank you all.

Are you a T206 Insider?

Only 37.10% crazy based on recent polling data.
Old 06-19-2017, 10:16 AM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
How hard is it to monitor your (you fill in the blank) most expensive auctions? Especially with an (alleged) full time hire who is (allegedly) monitoring auctions for fraud? The ones I posted today were in their top five auctions and took less than a minute to find.

Yes, ebay is at fault, but so is PWCC.
PWCC doesn't really care. Stuff trumps all, they know that. They are helped more than they are harmed by bid retractors. There have been Net54 posters in these threads who criticize and still admit they are consigning to them. Some of the loudest Mastro/Legendary critics were still bidding in their auctions all the way to the end even though they knew fraud was happening.

Change will come from the buyers saying no, but that ain't ever happening.
Old 06-19-2017, 10:59 AM
Peter Spaeth

Dan, you likely are right, but that makes it all the more offensive to come on here and make a pious high-profile display of allegedly trying to stop fraud.

And Frank, this is a serious thread son. Get thee back to the watercooler.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 06-19-2017 at 11:01 AM.
Old 06-19-2017, 11:55 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Dan, you likely are right, but that makes it all the more offensive to come on here and make a pious high-profile display of allegedly trying to stop fraud.

And Frank, this is a serious thread son. Get thee back to the watercooler.
Mastro did the same thing. And the only thing that will stop PWCC is an arrest. Which could happen.
Old 06-19-2017, 12:14 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwolf1963 View Post
I guess the program hasn't matured yet?

.. Seriously, all the "complaining and bitching" (most of it anyway) wouldn't have come about had they not put out their policy and in the name of addressing fraudsters, shill bidding, shenanigans of the sort, etc. I don't see what possible purpose there could be to put out a strict, stated policy only to not uphold it?
It is to fool people, like myself, with limited experience and knowledge, to make us think they are a well established, honest, transparent and trustworthy company/business.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 99984_20130823_234028_images_(1).jpg (12.7 KB, 530 views)
Old 06-19-2017, 03:23 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
Mastro did the same thing. And the only thing that will stop PWCC is an arrest. Which could happen.
It won't happen from bid retractions. It is A-Okay to retract as many bids as your heart desires on ebay.
Old 06-19-2017, 03:26 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by irv View Post
It is to fool people, like myself, with limited experience and knowledge, to make us think they are a well established, honest, transparent and trustworthy company/business.
I think they totally believed they were going to uphold this rule until they found out most of their big spenders were doing it.
Old 06-19-2017, 03:27 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidekellyslide View Post
It won't happen from bid retractions. It is A-Okay to retract as many bids as your heart desires on ebay.
Who said it has anything to do with bid retractions? Last I checked retracting bids is not listed in the U.S. Code.
Old 06-19-2017, 03:32 PM
J@ohn B.ar#ne.s

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
That's an awfully bold statement for the only transparent large scale AH in our business. If the crime is having retracted bids in your actions, you might as well back up the paddy wagon to all the AH's.

Fact is, all AH's are whores, advertising their goods to the world. Asking any AH to block a seller is like asking a lawyer not to send a bill; ain't gonna happen.