NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you give an opinion of a person or company your full name needs to be in your post. Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 05-21-2017, 12:57 PM
Rich v@n He$$

Nah, I stopped watching the day I realized that, with just a little practice, I would be able to shoot free throws better than 20-30% of the league.
Old 05-22-2017, 11:25 AM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by samosa4u View Post
Alright, your post clearly shows that you are a Golden State fan Yes, I agree that Bosh and James going to the Heat was a really bad thing for the NBA. However, I think that Durant going to the Warriors was pretty bad too. He could have signed with the Clippers or the Rockets, but no, out of all the teams he had to choose Golden State. Imagine New England Patriots signing one of the best offensive players in the NFL? Wouldn't that be just stupid? Do you think the Pats are lacking in that area (or in any area?)
Clippers could not afford him, already paying Chris Paul, DeAndre Jordan and Blake Griffin.

Also, remind me why THAT wouldn't be considered a superteam?

Houston? I don't know why any superstar would want to play with James Harden and the Rockets ugly style.

Golden State's style of basketball was the perfect fit for Durant. Spread the ball to everybody, open the floor, non-ISO, non-selfish and very efficient style of offense. Evidenced by Durant having his most efficient shooting season since being in the league.

He also had perhaps his best season as a defender since being in the league. It helps having team-mates who aren't running around like chickens with their head cut off all the time.

I also laugh when I think of Charles Barkley constantly criticizing Durant for his move to Golden State, when he did exactly the same thing when he defected to Houston years ago while chasing a title.

....and again, Golden State was a team that built itself drafting guys outside of the lottery system and bringing in under-appreciated veterans and role players other teams had given up on.

Durant was their one big signing in.............I don't know how long.

It's too bad that The Spurs suffered all the injuries they did. I think with a healthy Kawhi Leonard and Tony Parker they had the perfect team to matchup against Golden State and give them a run for their money.
Old 05-22-2017, 02:53 PM
Raymond Culpepper

No...appropriately enough...I am resting until the finals.

yawn

...and when they do begin, I am quite likely, at any time, to switch to whatever infomercial is playing at the time.

bigger yawn

Old 05-22-2017, 04:27 PM
NJ Dunkin

I personally do not have any problem with Durant's move. What's wrong with the guy wanting to get a ring or two? Logically, if you were an NBA player, you would want to be on the best overall team to increase your chances of winning that championship.

NJ Dunkin

Collector Focus

Last edited by njdunkin1; 05-22-2017 at 04:27 PM.
Old 05-28-2017, 06:16 PM
Rick

Basketball?

Ha Ha, they don't play by the rules, they travel, they carry the ball, dive when bumped. It's pretty phony, nowhere near what Naismith intended it to be. It's pretty much a street ball show.
Old 05-29-2017, 12:01 PM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTK View Post
Basketball?

Ha Ha, they don't play by the rules, they travel, they carry the ball, dive when bumped. It's pretty phony, nowhere near what Naismith intended it to be. It's pretty much a street ball show.

I don't care so much about the traveling and carrying. Used to annoy me but it opens the door to a little bit more creativity as long as it's not too egregious.

What does bother me immensely is the Italian Soccer League style flopping that has become popular among players the last 5 years or so. Offensive players throwing themselves into defenders beyond the 3 point line to throw up a no hoper and getting 3 free throws out of it. Getting 3 free throws on one play used to happen once every few games........now you have teams like the Houston Rockets who specialize in getting that call several times per game.

It's the reason why my least favorite team and player is the Rockets and James Harden. Guy would rather trick the refs into calling a foul while throwing the ball into the 3rd row, rather then go hard to the basket and put it in the basket and risk NOT getting a call.

I like the Warriors a lot, because they seem to be more interested in putting the ball into the basket as efficiently as possible, while using ball movement to get guys open, then turning games into free throw contests.
Old 05-30-2017, 07:16 PM

Default Sigh...

I do catch myself often hitting "rewind" ... and sure enough, the guy took 3 steps. Yeah, the 'ol jump into the poor defender just standing there like a statue and throw up a, cough, cough, supposed shot trick irritates me, a lot. Like c'mon refs, that should rightly be a technical against the Offensive player. Jeez, I could do that myself all day long... and make a few of the free throws.
Old 05-30-2017, 08:38 PM
Dave

I like how they threatened to start fining guys who were caught flopping a few years ago. They only fined a few bench players, usually in situations that didn't even warrent it, ignored the stars when they did it, and then completely forgot they made up the rule to begin with.

The problem has only gotten progressively worse, since they introduced that toothless policy.
Old 06-02-2017, 08:55 AM
Jay Shelton

Nope, don't watch. Quit watching sometime in the mid-to-late 1980s. My dad (who is 86 now) referred to the NBA as the "push-shove-and shoot" league. That about sums it up for me...
Old 06-02-2017, 09:15 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

NBA- I don't like how the players act so don't watch it.