NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you give an opinion of a person or company your full name needs to be in your post. Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on Ebay
Pre-WWII Cards
Post WWII Cards
Vintage Memorabilia
Babe Ruth Cards
Ty Cobb Cards
Lou Gehrig Cards
Mickey Mantle Cards
Goudey Cards
Bowman Cards
T205s on Ebay
Tobacco "T" Cards
Caramel "E" Cards
Vintage Baseball Postcards
Football Cards on Ebay
Exhibit Cards
Strip Cards
Baking Cards
Sporting News
Playball Cards on Ebay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-15-2013, 05:24 PM
Julz24's Avatar
Julz24 Julz24 is offline
Miguel Sz@b@nĄ&
member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 137
Default Massive Player Collections

For anyone here with large collections of baseball cards of the same player:

I collect Ken Griffey Jr and have 2600 different cards. I've been trying to organize them so that I don't purchase any that I already have. Also, it's good to know what doubles I have to use for trade bait.

Here's a few questions...

First - How do you digitally organize your collection? Do you have a photo of the card alongside the card's information?

For me, I have been using Numbers - an Apple spreadsheet. I have all my cards organized by: Photo/Year/Set Name/Description/Number/Serial Number/Quantity/Notes/Grade.

It has been extremely useful to me. I tried to attach a few rows of the spreadsheet to this thread and was unsuccessful. Which is fitting because I'm having problems with it's size. Since around Row 2000 - the file has gotten slower and slower and slower. It is almost unmanageable now. I contacted Apple and they told me the spreadsheet was not meant for what I'm using it for and that I've exceeded expectations already, lol.

Also, it will not export in any format and to any other program, (that I know of yet) with the photos. I've tried Excel and many others. I think I need to get them out of Numbers and into a Database that will accept the photos. But how and to which one?


Second - How do you store/display your player collection?

Right now half of mine are completly raw in 2 800ct boxes. The other half are in toploaders in a giant box. Not very convenient or sexy.

I'd love to put some in pages and binders but the only pages I like are "Super Pro 2000 Gold" and they're hard to find. Not a fan of Ultra Pro, Platinum, MVP or BCW as the cards tend to slide up and thru the top opening.

So any other player collectors out there got any ideas or solutions?

Last edited by Julz24; 06-15-2013 at 05:25 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-15-2013, 10:36 PM
doug.goodman doug.goodman is offline
Doug Goodman
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: On tour somewhere
Posts: 2,139
Default

Use excel.

My Topps cards file has 12 worksheets, a couple of them have nearly 30,000 lines of info (one for each card), with as many as 12 columns of info per card I make changes to it in moments.

I have various other files helping me to keep track of various things, and all of them have multiple pages with many thousands of rows.

Sounds like "Numbers" isn't much of a spreadsheet program.

Doug
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-15-2013, 11:08 PM
Julz24's Avatar
Julz24 Julz24 is offline
Miguel Sz@b@nĄ&
member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 137
Default

No, its actually amazing but it isn't built for large amounts of data. The problem is definitly made worse by the size and amount of images in my file.

So do you have photos in Excel?

I've been researching databases like Filemaker and Bento only because they will accept an import from my Numbers file. I have tried exporting from Numbers to Excel and the text moves over fine. But the photos won't go.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-16-2013, 12:10 AM
doug.goodman doug.goodman is offline
Doug Goodman
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: On tour somewhere
Posts: 2,139
Default

I don't have photos in my files, I keep them separate,

I respectfully disagree that a spreadsheet / data base program can qualify as "amazing" if it's not built for large amounts of data. Seems to me that large amounts of data are the main reason for those programs to exist.

Doug
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-16-2013, 01:02 AM
Julz24's Avatar
Julz24 Julz24 is offline
Miguel Sz@b@nĄ&
member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 137
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug.goodman View Post
I don't have photos in my files, I keep them separate,

I respectfully disagree that a spreadsheet / data base program can qualify as "amazing" if it's not built for large amounts of data. Seems to me that large amounts of data are the main reason for those programs to exist.

Doug

Ok, so all your photos ate stored separately. That's helpful in that I want to keep both photos and text together.

As far as the Numbers spreadsheet: I can only relay what Apple told me... Spreadsheets are basically for sorting ,organizing and number manipulation. Anytime one is dealing with massive amounts of information, a database is necessary.

Either way, there's no doubt Excel is superior between the two of them.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-16-2013, 05:58 AM
Zach Wheat Zach Wheat is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,252
Default Player Collection

I mainly a set collector but also have a side collection of Mantle cards. I don't collect modern Mantle cards so the card management issue isn't too significant. I keep my cards stored graded by year in an ammo box which is water and fire resistant in a secure spot.

I keep digital images of each card on my PC staing year, maker, name, grade, price, description. I use the same format for name each picture for each photo. This makes it easy to sort and find what I am looking for.

I have started but not completed using ACT database to sort and catalogue cards and images. I imagine using Access would have worked the same but am familiar with ACT.

Z Wheat
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-17-2013, 08:13 AM
bsuttonosu bsuttonosu is offline
member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 83
Default Images

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug.goodman View Post
I respectfully disagree that a spreadsheet / data base program can qualify as "amazing" if it's not built for large amounts of data. Seems to me that large amounts of data are the main reason for those programs to exist.
Doug
Agree with Doug, but I think it's the images weighing down your file not the data elements. Spreadsheets aren't made to handle image storage. Also, and I don't know the technical aspects of it, but functionally Apple products are not built the handle spreadsheets the same way. I have both Apple and PC computers and work with spreadsheets alot. The PCs are always faster with them.

I use an Excel spreadsheet for my lists but I don't store images of everything.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-17-2013, 08:50 AM
brookdodger55 brookdodger55 is offline
Mike
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NY
Posts: 630
Default

I have a massive collection of 1800 Mike Piazza cards , I use excel spread sheet
with. pictures of each card. I used what is called the cell hovering technique.
You place the mouse over the corner of he cell (small ear flap in corner and picture appears, double click it disappears. Using office Xp for many years and have never had a performance problem with excel with a massive amount of pictures.
Mike
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-18-2013, 08:33 AM
JLange's Avatar
JLange JLange is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: philadelphia
Posts: 349
Default Card Saver 1s in 4 pocket sheets

With regard to displaying the cards, I am a big fan of using card saver 1s and placing them in 4 pocket sheets (postcard size pockets) the card savers easily slip in with a little room to spare,but don't slip around or turn in the pockets. This is the best of both worlds because you can put roughly 240-250 cards in a binder (single sided) but then easily remove ones you want for some other project, and they are always protected. It beats keeping the in a box.
__________________
Jason
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-18-2013, 11:55 AM
brookdodger55 brookdodger55 is offline
Mike
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NY
Posts: 630
Default

Never thought of that, great idea thinking about doing that with my 1952-57 Brooklyn dodgers team sets, that solves the problem of the sheets fitting the
52-54's.
Mike
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 06-19-2013, 11:14 AM
cwazzy cwazzy is offline
Chris Wassmuth
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 319
Default

My Campanella collection is small compared to the massive collections modern players can have. I only have about 200 different cards in my collection. To keep me organized I created a checklist in Excel using beckett.com as my guide. I printed it off and check the appropriate box as I get a new card. Of course it's MUCH easier with '50s player that only has around 1,500 cards including modern 1/1s. I keep scans of every card in photobucket split out between vintage, modern base/inserts, and game-used cards. For storage I use a Roop style box that I purchased off the internet for about $30. Eventually I will display some of my favorites in a curio cabinet or wall display but haven't gotten that far yet.
__________________
Want List:
Any Cardinals prior to 1970
ANY Roy Campanella items
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 06-20-2013, 12:46 PM
brewing's Avatar
brewing brewing is offline
Brent
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Georgia
Posts: 793
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookdodger55 View Post
I have a massive collection of 1800 Mike Piazza cards , I use excel spread sheet
with. pictures of each card. I used what is called the cell hovering technique.
You place the mouse over the corner of he cell (small ear flap in corner and picture appears, double click it disappears. Using office Xp for many years and have never had a performance problem with excel with a massive amount of pictures.
Mike
Never knew this. Absolutely love this method. Thank You
__________________
Tiger collector

I blame Net54 for this endeavor
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 06-20-2013, 05:28 PM
Julz24's Avatar
Julz24 Julz24 is offline
Miguel Sz@b@nĄ&
member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 137
Default

The cell hovering technique is definitely intriguing. I'm not that savvy with Microsoft Excel yet but I have started the research process. I've also heard about hyperlinking the photos to the spreadsheet as well as inserting images into a comment box, (which may or may not be the same as cell hovering)??

I wonder if cell hovering will decrease the size of the saved file? If it does, that might help increase my speed.

This weekend I'm planning on downloading Griffeys entire card checklist from Beckett. Apparently you have to subscribe to Beckett for at least one month in order to save the checklist as a pdf or download it into Excel. I think for nine bucks it's worth it. He has over 14,000 baseball cards so it might take a minute!
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 06-20-2013, 05:43 PM
brookdodger55 brookdodger55 is offline
Mike
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NY
Posts: 630
Default

If you would like, I can post a link to the steps to do this,very easy to do in a couple of steps. Post to let me know
You have some of it correct,one of the steps is clicking on the comment icon.
Thanks
Mike

Last edited by brookdodger55; 06-20-2013 at 05:45 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 06-20-2013, 06:13 PM
Julz24's Avatar
Julz24 Julz24 is offline
Miguel Sz@b@nĄ&
member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 137
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookdodger55 View Post
If you would like, I can post a link to the steps to do this,very easy to do in a couple of steps. Post to let me know
You have some of it correct,one of the steps is clicking on the comment icon.
Thanks
Mike

Absolutely!

That will give me somewhere to start for this weekends project.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 06-25-2013, 02:57 PM
dabigyankeeman dabigyankeeman is offline
Arnie
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: florida, used to be New York
Posts: 538
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookdodger55 View Post
Never thought of that, great idea thinking about doing that with my 1952-57 Brooklyn dodgers team sets, that solves the problem of the sheets fitting the
52-54's.
Mike
Whats the problem with sheets for the 52-54's (actually thru 1956)? They make 8-pocket sheets to fit these cards. Am i missing something? Unless do you not want them in the sheets horizontally? That i can understand as i am not crazy about that myself!!
__________________
Its so great to love all the New York teams in all sports, particularly the YANKEES.

Last edited by dabigyankeeman; 06-25-2013 at 02:57 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 06-27-2013, 07:22 AM
Julz24's Avatar
Julz24 Julz24 is offline
Miguel Sz@b@nĄ&
member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 137
Default

Quick Update:

I signed up on Beckett for a recurring monthly subscription. I was able to download the entire Griffey collection of cards, over 14,200!!

I copied and pasted the list into Excel for Mac. Now I just need to organize all of the information. It transfered over into one row unfortunately.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 06-27-2013, 09:10 AM
brookdodger55 brookdodger55 is offline
Mike
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NY
Posts: 630
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabigyankeeman View Post
Whats the problem with sheets for the 52-54's (actually thru 1956)? They make 8-pocket sheets to fit these cards. Am i missing something? Unless do you not want them in the sheets horizontally? That i can understand as i am not crazy about that myself!!
No you are not missing something, I didn't want to store/display the cards raw
in the pages, I thought that the card saver idea was new to me along with the postcard pages. Hope this clears it up.
Mike
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 06-27-2013, 10:10 AM
dabigyankeeman dabigyankeeman is offline
Arnie
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: florida, used to be New York
Posts: 538
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookdodger55 View Post
No you are not missing something, I didn't want to store/display the cards raw
in the pages, I thought that the card saver idea was new to me along with the postcard pages. Hope this clears it up.
Mike
Gotcha Mike. I can tell you I have been collecting and storing cards raw in the 9 and 8 pocket sheets since 1980 with no problems, but i do understand where you are coming from.

I will say that some of the GU cards do have a tendancy to slip up as you say. I fill my albums tightly with pages then put giant rubber bands around them and the cards dont move when i move the albums. But yeah, when looking at them, they can slip around, mainly in the 8-pocket sheets. The post card sheet idea is excellant.
__________________
Its so great to love all the New York teams in all sports, particularly the YANKEES.

Last edited by dabigyankeeman; 06-27-2013 at 10:14 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 06-29-2013, 06:33 AM
cdn_collector's Avatar
cdn_collector cdn_collector is offline
Richard A.
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 534
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julz24 View Post
Quick Update:
I copied and pasted the list into Excel for Mac. Now I just need to organize all of the information. It transfered over into one row unfortunately.
The problem with copy/pasting directly from your browser into the spreadsheet is that the formatting data may also have been copied (this is how it works with Excel on Windows, at least).

Two things two try rather than manually breaking that data into rows:

a.) Copy and paste it into a basic text editor and THEN copy it again and paste it into your program. In the Windows world, I'd use Notepad and then Excel. This will cause any formatting data that may have also been copied to be lost and *should* respect the proper rows/columns.

b.) If (a) above doesn't work, then again use the text editor but this time save the file and import (as opposed to open) it into your program. It *should* allow you to specify the where each column starts and ends, and should recognize each individual row.

Good luck!

Richard.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 07-01-2013, 07:27 AM
baez578's Avatar
baez578 baez578 is offline
D@.ve B@.ez
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 250
Default Take a look

Haven't tried it yet..but it might work for you


http://download.cnet.com/Sports-Card...-10435152.html
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 07-01-2013, 09:48 PM
Julz24's Avatar
Julz24 Julz24 is offline
Miguel Sz@b@nĄ&
member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 137
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdn_collector View Post
The problem with copy/pasting directly from your browser into the spreadsheet is that the formatting data may also have been copied (this is how it works with Excel on Windows, at least).

Two things two try rather than manually breaking that data into rows:

a.) Copy and paste it into a basic text editor and THEN copy it again and paste it into your program. In the Windows world, I'd use Notepad and then Excel. This will cause any formatting data that may have also been copied to be lost and *should* respect the proper rows/columns.

b.) If (a) above doesn't work, then again use the text editor but this time save the file and import (as opposed to open) it into your program. It *should* allow you to specify the where each column starts and ends, and should recognize each individual row.

Good luck!

Richard.

Thanks for the info!! I read about your method somewhere else too but I had already began with copy/paste.

Luckily I found a thread on another site (blasphemy acknowledged) which carefully details how to clean up the worksheet by using functions such as search and replace!! Still have a little work to do but I'm getting closer.
__________________
Perfect transactions with the following members:
BuffetFan, t206hound, wcsportscards, bcbgcbrcb, 4reals, soxfan1986.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 07-08-2013, 07:45 PM
vintage954 vintage954 is offline
Ted Stick.les
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 124
Default

Wow, I'm a Griffey collected as well but I only have around 900 different cards. Nice collection
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 11-22-2013, 12:33 PM
jrbeasley jrbeasley is offline
member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1
Default

I just use zistle. No tech headaches.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 11-26-2013, 09:28 AM
timzcardz timzcardz is offline
T!M R10rd@n
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 654
Default

My Ripken collection is somehwere north of 3,000 cards, maybe close to 4,000now.

I use an excel spreadsheet, however haven't updated it in a few years and need to find time this winter to update and maybe redo.

I keep the vast majority fo the cards in 9 pocket sheets in binders.

I also need to add the other Ripken collectibles to my spreadsheet. These include everything from food products to figurines to various autographed items.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 11-27-2013, 11:53 AM
olrac44 olrac44 is offline
member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 107
Default

My friend has about 12,000+ Derek Jeter cards. He is fairly organized as all of his graded cards are organized by year in individual boxes, and all of his raw cards are in large 5000 Ct boxes (without the dividers). Each box is a specific product (i.e. Topps, Fleer, etc) top loaded and rubber banded by year.

Last year he purchased a high end Jeter card for $600 on ebay only to find out he already had the card. So I downloaded a Jeter Checklist from Beckett and together we cataloged them into Excel. He was a newbie to excel but he got the hang of it as I worked with him on it.

Then he was able to easily see if he had the card. It has also helped him see where he has heavy duplication and sold/traded the duplication to acquire cards he didn't have.
__________________
Carlo Cella
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 11-27-2013, 06:01 PM
bnorth's Avatar
bnorth bnorth is offline
Ben North
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 4,845
Default

I have around 7-8000 Wade Boggs cards with close to 1200 different. Very few are from 2000-present. I quit collecting in 2000 because I had enough of the crazy amount of inserts, parallels, serial #ed cards, and sets. I stayed in the hobby by flipping error cards. It was more for fun than profit. A few months ago I started collecting again but have not added many new cards to the Boggs collection.
__________________
T210 Series 3 Ft Worth, looking for low end examples and especially ones with a Y shaped hole punch. I also have some extra T210's for trade.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 12-24-2013, 12:18 PM
Julz24's Avatar
Julz24 Julz24 is offline
Miguel Sz@b@nĄ&
member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 137
Default

Update: I decided to stay with Numbers after all. It's just so familiar and easy to use for me I couldn't make the change. I ended up using a suggestion given to me thru pm by frankbmd, (thank you Frank). I created 5 separate sheets of data with the following titles:

- Main (1756 cards)
- Autographs & Game-Used (215 cards)
- Samples, Promos, Plates, Errors (52 cards)
- Oddballs (846 cards)
- Large Sets - ie. Moments and Milestones (435 cards)

Total: 3304 Different

By separating out the data into different sheets, the scrolling speed and search speed have dramatically increased. I also added a one cell table at the top and bottom of each sheet. That way when the software does start to lag, and won't let me scroll quickly, I can click on the "Bottom" table and it will take me directly to the bottom of the page.

After the first of the year, I plan on decreasing the amount of new pickups while I figure out how I want to sort and organize the actual cards.
__________________
Perfect transactions with the following members:
BuffetFan, t206hound, wcsportscards, bcbgcbrcb, 4reals, soxfan1986.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 12-29-2013, 06:17 AM
HOF Auto Rookies's Avatar
HOF Auto Rookies HOF Auto Rookies is offline
Brent
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 2,387
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julz24 View Post
For anyone here with large collections of baseball cards of the same player:



I collect Ken Griffey Jr and have 2600 different cards. I've been trying to organize them so that I don't purchase any that I already have. Also, it's good to know what doubles I have to use for trade bait.



Here's a few questions...



First - How do you digitally organize your collection? Do you have a photo of the card alongside the card's information?



For me, I have been using Numbers - an Apple spreadsheet. I have all my cards organized by: Photo/Year/Set Name/Description/Number/Serial Number/Quantity/Notes/Grade.



It has been extremely useful to me. I tried to attach a few rows of the spreadsheet to this thread and was unsuccessful. Which is fitting because I'm having problems with it's size. Since around Row 2000 - the file has gotten slower and slower and slower. It is almost unmanageable now. I contacted Apple and they told me the spreadsheet was not meant for what I'm using it for and that I've exceeded expectations already, lol.



Also, it will not export in any format and to any other program, (that I know of yet) with the photos. I've tried Excel and many others. I think I need to get them out of Numbers and into a Database that will accept the photos. But how and to which one?





Second - How do you store/display your player collection?



Right now half of mine are completly raw in 2 800ct boxes. The other half are in toploaders in a giant box. Not very convenient or sexy.



I'd love to put some in pages and binders but the only pages I like are "Super Pro 2000 Gold" and they're hard to find. Not a fan of Ultra Pro, Platinum, MVP or BCW as the cards tend to slide up and thru the top opening.



So any other player collectors out there got any ideas or solutions?

I'll try to post what I have for Mayer, I just use a simple spread sheet that I'll screen shot


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
HOFAutoRookies.com
Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
massive value in this NHL card lot! bh3443 Hockey / Basketball / Tennis Cards Forum 2 09-15-2011 08:38 PM
Massive reprints Archive Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions 8 01-14-2009 04:13 PM
Player Type Collections Archive Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions 7 04-29-2004 10:01 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:28 AM.


ebay GSB