NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you give an opinion of a person or company your full name needs to be in your post. Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on Ebay
Pre-WWII Cards
Post WWII Cards
Vintage Memorabilia
Babe Ruth Cards
Ty Cobb Cards
Lou Gehrig Cards
Mickey Mantle Cards
Goudey Cards
Bowman Cards
T205s on Ebay
Tobacco "T" Cards
Caramel "E" Cards
Vintage Baseball Postcards
Football Cards on Ebay
Exhibit Cards
Strip Cards
Baking Cards
Sporting News
Playball Cards on Ebay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 11-27-2018, 07:17 PM
Peter_Spaeth's Avatar
Peter_Spaeth Peter_Spaeth is online now
Peter Spaeth
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 15,921
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
Don’t forget Gorman Thomas and Cecil Cooper.
And the innocent Ryan Braun.
__________________
My avatar is a painting by my son, a recent art school graduate.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11-28-2018, 08:34 AM
SAllen2556's Avatar
SAllen2556 SAllen2556 is offline
Scott
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Detroit
Posts: 371
Default

Hank Aaron is the all time king of accumulators. Led the league in home runs only 4 years out of 23. RBI's: 4 times. Hits: twice. Doubles: 4 times

Not saying he wasn't awesome though - because he accumulated all star level stats for at least 20 of his 23 years. But never hit 50 home runs. Never won the triple crown.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 11-30-2018, 08:56 PM
clydepepper's Avatar
clydepepper clydepepper is offline
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper
Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Columbus, GA
Posts: 4,900
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAllen2556 View Post
Hank Aaron is the all time king of accumulators. Led the league in home runs only 4 years out of 23. RBI's: 4 times. Hits: twice. Doubles: 4 times

Not saying he wasn't awesome though - because he accumulated all star level stats for at least 20 of his 23 years. But never hit 50 home runs. Never won the triple crown.


In Hank's defense, you could take chop off several seasons off his career and IMO he'd still be a First Ballot Hall-of-Famer. That cannot be said of the others I have designated 'accumulators'.


.
__________________
.
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on others lives" - Jackie Robinson


MY BIG CONCERNS ABOUT AMERICA:

Internally- We spend too much time assuring our rights without learning the responsibilities that should accompany them.
Externally - No matter how much we claim to take the higher moral ground, we have neither respected nor attempted to understand other cultures.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 12-01-2018, 02:04 AM
KCRfan1 KCRfan1 is offline
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Los Angeles area
Posts: 1,445
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAllen2556 View Post
Hank Aaron is the all time king of accumulators. Led the league in home runs only 4 years out of 23. RBI's: 4 times. Hits: twice. Doubles: 4 times.

Not saying he wasn't awesome though - because he accumulated all star level stats for at least 20 of his 23 years. But never hit 50 home runs. Never won the triple crown.
If Aaron is an accumulator, which player is not an accumulator?

I'm not going to knock a player because they didn't hit 50 homers or win a triple crown.

" He's ( Aaron ) the King of accumulators, but not saying he wasn't awesome though ". Your words. This is either a backhanded compliment or conflicting statements.

If you want to play the stats game, Aaron hit 40 or more homers in 8 seasons, had 100 or more rbi's in 11 seasons with 5 additional seasons of 90 or more rbi's, led the league in hits twice and 2 batting crowns.

Mantle, btw, only had 4 seasons of 100 rbi's and led the league 1 time in the category over an 18 year career. 4 years of 40 or more homers, never led the league in hits and 1 batting crown.

I refer to Mantle in comparison because of his status.

Both Aaron and Mantle are all-time greats and I wouldn't label either as an accumulator. However, to each their own......
__________________
My new found obsession the t206!
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 12-08-2018, 06:53 PM
Peter_Spaeth's Avatar
Peter_Spaeth Peter_Spaeth is online now
Peter Spaeth
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 15,921
Default

Winfield sort of fits the accumulator category.
__________________
My avatar is a painting by my son, a recent art school graduate.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 12-09-2018, 04:30 AM
Jim65's Avatar
Jim65 Jim65 is online now
Jam.es Braci.liano
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 962
Default

To me, an accumulater is someone who would not be a HOFer except that they hit a magical stat (3000 hits, 300 wins, etc. The 2 players that come to my mind are Craig Biggio and Don Sutton.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 12-09-2018, 04:01 PM
bbcard1 bbcard1 is offline
T0dd M@rcum
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Roanoke, VA
Posts: 2,652
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydepepper View Post
I understand your point, but I would never consider Yaz an accumulator...just because of that 1967 Season! Wow! Was that something special?


.
When he hit .301?
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 12-09-2018, 04:58 PM
Topnotchsy Topnotchsy is offline
Jeff Lazarus
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 557
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim65 View Post
To me, an accumulater is someone who would not be a HOFer except that they hit a magical stat (3000 hits, 300 wins, etc. The 2 players that come to my mind are Craig Biggio and Don Sutton.
Was surprised it took this long for Sutton's name to come up. Won 300+ games, but career ERA+ of 108.

I guess what Sutton has going for him is that there are others in the Hall who were not as good and didn't accumulate as much. (Hard to understand how Morris, Marquard, Catfish Hunter and a few others made it)

Lineup card from Sutton's final MLB win
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sutton Final Win lineup card.jpg (75.1 KB, 92 views)

Last edited by Topnotchsy; 12-09-2018 at 04:58 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 12-09-2018, 06:22 PM
steve B steve B is offline
Steve Birmingham
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: eastern Mass.
Posts: 5,167
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Winfield sort of fits the accumulator category.

Aww Peter.... Busting on Mr. May? ….
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 12-09-2018, 06:26 PM
steve B steve B is offline
Steve Birmingham
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: eastern Mass.
Posts: 5,167
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topnotchsy View Post
Was surprised it took this long for Sutton's name to come up. Won 300+ games, but career ERA+ of 108.

I guess what Sutton has going for him is that there are others in the Hall who were not as good and didn't accumulate as much. (Hard to understand how Morris, Marquard, Catfish Hunter and a few others made it)

Lineup card from Sutton's final MLB win

I think a lot of whether a player who might be borderline gets in or not comes down to exactly when they retire, and who retires during the next 5 years or the couple years before they did.

Dwight Evans would be borderline, and I was really hoping he'd get in. He fell just short of 400 HR, which at the time was almost automatic. But after a couple years on the ballot there was a year with something like 3 first ballot guys and a couple maybe first/second, which took away enough votes that he was dropped.
Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mickey Mantle 1st NYC game Debut Stub ending SATURDAY 8/12/17 at Love Of The Game! EYECOLLECTVINTAGE Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions 5 08-12-2017 11:37 PM
Opinions on a 1922 CHARLIE ROBERTSON PERFECT GAME ACTUAL GAME USED BASEBALL CJDave Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports 8 07-23-2017 02:22 AM
Potential game used baseball Lou Gehrig single signed from record game #1308 joyner82 Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports 2 04-27-2014 06:21 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:43 AM.


ebay GSB