NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you give an opinion of a person or company your full name needs to be in your post. Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present)

Old 07-13-2012, 08:22 PM
Marty

I don't ever recall seeing them, or hearing much about these until the late 90's - that might lend some credence to them being from a source that got a bunch of sheets, and cut them up at some point. I think I picked up a Mets team set from one person on eBay about 7 or 8 years ago. I don't see many of these being offered on eBay right now - certainly not to the volumes you would expect if there were any kind of even a limited distribution. Considering the prices being asked and the nature of eBay, if there were a lot of them out there, there would certainly be many more listings, right?

I would also guess, since everybody and their brother were buying cards and leaving them unopened in the mid 80s, if these were ever sold in packs, we would see unopened packs for these today.

The fact that only one sheet's worth of players exists I think further fits in with the one sheet test run theory, but certainly any additional thoughts or information are appreciated!
Old 07-13-2012, 11:17 PM
Al Richter

Default 1985 Minis

Good post
Old 07-15-2012, 11:08 PM
Jim M.arinari

I have had mine since about 1990. Got it in trade with Gary, from Let's Collect in Canada, at a card show. He used to supply me and my buddies with (nearly) all of our Canadian oddball issues. It is indeed very rare, a true dumpster dive, with many that were recovered wet, stained or otherwise damaged. Population reported above supposedly comes from the original owner.

BTW, they were NOT "sets". They were a one sheet test print (132 cards) numbered the same as the regular issue. Hence the Schmidt #300 and the McGee #757.

Last edited by Deertick; 07-15-2012 at 11:12 PM.
Old 07-16-2012, 02:04 PM
Al Richter

Default Sets ?

I realize they were not intended as a set, but they are listed as a set in the SCD Standard Catalog and in the PSA Registry. In that regard they are similar to the 1982 Topps Blackless "set" of 396 ( 3 sheets) or the Topps 1984 Encased proof "set" ( head in the box) of 66...also one sheet. People do collect them as sets

I mentioned I have the 85 Minis completed in blank back and regular back, and about 1/3 in red only backs ( no green ink). Does anyone know if the "set" can be completed that way ?
Old 07-16-2012, 05:14 PM
Jim M.arinari

Sorry Al, I should have been more clear in my post. It was in response to other posts indicating a retail venue, and the quantity.
Old 07-16-2012, 05:44 PM
Al Richter

Default Odd Ball and Schmidt

Got it Jim. Do you know Marc ( mikeschmidt on CU )? He is a Philly and Schmidt collector friend of mine. Not sure he posts on 54. If you're inclined, send me a pm about what odd ball Topps stuff you collect, or what you collect in general.
Old 07-21-2012, 07:32 PM
Joe W.
J0seph Wi.er

I have every Dodgers 85 Topps mini in three variations (stat back, white blank back, and tan blank back) with the exception of a Steve Yeager tan blank back. If anyone has one they're willing to sell please let me know, thanks!
Old 07-22-2012, 04:48 PM
Al Richter

Default Yeager

I have 3 versions of Yeager, regular back, blank white back and what I call red back...it has the stats but no green ink and is on tan stock . Do you have tan blank backs of your other Dodgers and if so can you post one along side a white blank back. I mentioned earlier that I am not certain if the set can be completed in red back form

Last edited by ALR-bishop; 07-22-2012 at 07:49 PM.
Old 07-27-2012, 10:57 PM
Joe W.
J0seph Wi.er

Sorry for the delayed response, I forgot that I posted in this thread...yes, I will post a scan of the blank tan backs next to the white blank backs as soon as I can. I did not realize there were "red only" stat backs until you mentioned it so I don't know how many exist. That's actually frustrating news as now I have to locate more to complete that team set, lol.
Old 07-28-2012, 02:06 PM
Joe W.
J0seph Wi.er

Here are scans of three of the cards (front and back) from my Dodgers team set. The scan shows examples of the green stat back, the blank white back, and the blank cream/tan back.

To trade I have the following extras: Steve Yeager (white back); Steve Sax (green stat back) PSA5; Pedro Guerrero (green stat back) psa6; Tom Niedenfuer (white back, green stat back ungraded, green stat back psa4).

I would like to trade these to anyone who might have any Dodgers with the red ink only stat backs that I previously didn't know existed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 85 topps minis front.jpg (17.5 KB, 260 views)
File Type: jpg 85 topps minis back.jpg (7.6 KB, 261 views)