NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you give an opinion of a person or company your full name needs to be in your post. Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on Ebay
Pre-WWII Cards
Post WWII Cards
Vintage Memorabilia
Babe Ruth Cards
Ty Cobb Cards
Lou Gehrig Cards
Mickey Mantle Cards
Goudey Cards
Bowman Cards
T205s on Ebay
Tobacco "T" Cards
Caramel "E" Cards
Vintage Baseball Postcards
Football Cards on Ebay
Exhibit Cards
Strip Cards
Baking Cards
Sporting News
Playball Cards on Ebay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-30-2019, 03:11 PM
Sterling Sports Auctions's Avatar
Sterling Sports Auctions Sterling Sports Auctions is offline
Lee B.
lee be.hrens
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Alexandria, MN
Posts: 719
Default 1939 Play Ball Variations

I recently received a consignment that included most of the 1939 Play Ball set including a fair number of variations. This came as a little surprise since there are no variations listed in the SCD big and neither of the grading companies slab with the designations.

I am curious as to why these variations seems to not be recognized. Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated.

Lee Behrens
__________________
Tired of Ebay or looking for a place to sell your cards, let SterlingSportsAuctions.com do the work for you, monthly auctions.

Last edited by Sterling Sports Auctions; 01-30-2019 at 03:16 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-30-2019, 03:23 PM
Ricky Ricky is offline
Rich
member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 116
Default

Can you post some of the variations?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-30-2019, 03:26 PM
Aquarian Sports Cards Aquarian Sports Cards is offline
Scott Russell
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 3,067
Default

All caps and small and big letters variations? Sometimes the grading companies recognize them sometimes not. No real premium that I've ever noticed.
__________________
Great experience buying from edjs and mybuddyinc. Check out my ebay store, weird, eclectic, accurate, and reasonable! http://stores.ebay.com/Aquarian-Sports-Cards Also check out http://www.birminghamauctioneers.com
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-30-2019, 04:03 PM
Sterling Sports Auctions's Avatar
Sterling Sports Auctions Sterling Sports Auctions is offline
Lee B.
lee be.hrens
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Alexandria, MN
Posts: 719
Default

Here is a link to a site that lists all of them:

https://www.tradingcarddb.com/Errors...1939-Play-Ball

Lee
__________________
Tired of Ebay or looking for a place to sell your cards, let SterlingSportsAuctions.com do the work for you, monthly auctions.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-30-2019, 05:48 PM
Zan Zan is offline
Brian
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: NY, NY
Posts: 427
Default

I have noticed that cards with upper and lower case names on back have wider borders, and (maybe) measure slightly larger. Has anyone else noticed?
__________________
I collect Hank Greenberg

Greenberg collection
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-04-2019, 02:37 PM
Koufax32fan's Avatar
Koufax32fan Koufax32fan is offline
Mike Oberl@nder
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 216
Default

I am 1 card short of the a set (the Williams) and only a couple of ALLCAPS/InitCaps variations away (I lost interest), and I did find another variation in my search of thousands of 1939 Play Balls over the years. There is a "light" in the background of some Rick Ferrell cards. I am not at home, so these are grabbed from the Web.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1939 Ferrell with light.jpg (51.3 KB, 327 views)
File Type: jpg 1939 Ferrell.jpg (11.1 KB, 320 views)
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-07-2019, 10:39 AM
Leon's Avatar
Leon Leon is offline
Leon
peasant/forum owner
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: near Dallas
Posts: 27,457
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zan View Post
I have noticed that cards with upper and lower case names on back have wider borders, and (maybe) measure slightly larger. Has anyone else noticed?
I haven't noticed that in particular but have noticed some '39s with really large borders compared to others.
__________________
Leon Luckey
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-07-2019, 06:08 PM
Sterling Sports Auctions's Avatar
Sterling Sports Auctions Sterling Sports Auctions is offline
Lee B.
lee be.hrens
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Alexandria, MN
Posts: 719
Default

As white backs common with the set? I figured it out. It is a reprint that had "Reprint" etched out.

Thanks
__________________
Tired of Ebay or looking for a place to sell your cards, let SterlingSportsAuctions.com do the work for you, monthly auctions.

Last edited by Sterling Sports Auctions; 02-07-2019 at 06:39 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-11-2019, 02:37 PM
Leon's Avatar
Leon Leon is offline
Leon
peasant/forum owner
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: near Dallas
Posts: 27,457
Default

How many times have we all seen that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterling Sports Auctions View Post
As white backs common with the set? I figured it out. It is a reprint that had "Reprint" etched out.

Thanks
__________________
Leon Luckey
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-11-2019, 02:51 PM
Zan Zan is offline
Brian
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: NY, NY
Posts: 427
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
How many times have we all seen that?
One time too many to make sure I don't make the mistake again.
__________________
I collect Hank Greenberg

Greenberg collection
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02-11-2019, 02:51 PM
Zan Zan is offline
Brian
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: NY, NY
Posts: 427
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
I haven't noticed that in particular but have noticed some '39s with really large borders compared to others.
I will measure mine tonight and report back
__________________
I collect Hank Greenberg

Greenberg collection
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-11-2019, 04:03 PM
RCMcKenzie's Avatar
RCMcKenzie RCMcKenzie is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,260
Default

Does this card also come with thin borders? I was thinking some players have thin borders and some have large, but you don't find both options with the same player?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pb1939warstler030.jpg (54.7 KB, 150 views)
File Type: jpg pb39waestlerb033.jpg (75.2 KB, 153 views)
__________________
Want to buy or trade for T213-1 (Bob Rhoades)
Other Louisiana issues T216 T215 T214 T213 Etc
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-11-2019, 04:15 PM
Zan Zan is offline
Brian
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: NY, NY
Posts: 427
Default

I think we are on to something. First picture has upper case names on the back, and the second is upper and lower case.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20180903-002230.jpg (7.3 KB, 145 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20160805_151325044.jpg (24.5 KB, 146 views)
__________________
I collect Hank Greenberg

Greenberg collection

Last edited by Zan; 02-11-2019 at 04:15 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-11-2019, 04:32 PM
RCMcKenzie's Avatar
RCMcKenzie RCMcKenzie is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,260
Default

Thanks, Brian. I'll need to look for a Warstler with the narrow borders now.
__________________
Want to buy or trade for T213-1 (Bob Rhoades)
Other Louisiana issues T216 T215 T214 T213 Etc
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02-11-2019, 06:38 PM
brianp-beme's Avatar
brianp-beme brianp-beme is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 3,120
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zan View Post
I think we are on to something. First picture has upper case names on the back, and the second is upper and lower case.
Definitely we are onto something. I am surprised that I don't ever remember this being discussed before. The below scan shows five cards featuring each the Upper case/lower case version in front of the all Capitals version of the card.

Excuse my alignment...try flipping cards onto a scanner and maintaining the positioning you want. Note that the photo portion of upper case/lower case version of each card is smaller than the all Capitals version, and thus creating the different widths of borders. The orientation of the photo also has been shifted. For example, the Grissom card on the upper left you can see more of the Cincinnati on the uniform on the all Capitals version, while there is a bigger gap between the sleeve and the border, as can be seen on the bottom right pair of cards of Hassett,.

Always something new to discover...good job Net54'ers!

Brian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg playball39bigsmall279 (723x800).jpg (71.2 KB, 136 views)
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 02-13-2019, 03:16 PM
brianp-beme's Avatar
brianp-beme brianp-beme is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 3,120
Default

Thought I would bump this one time just because I think we came up with something that has not been noticed/written about before.

My summary would be that all the cards with player's name on the back having All Capitals appear to have a larger size photo, and thus thinner borders, than the Upper/Lower case variation cards (cards that have capitalized first Letter then lower case on back for the player's name), and thus because of this smaller image area have wider borders.

Each card from #1 through 115 is available as All Capitals, while a good chunk of these card #'s also have the Upper/Lower case variation. Card #'s 116 and above are only available with Upper/Lower case names on back, and they also appear to have the smaller size of photos as is seen with the Upper/Lower case variations with card numbers #115 and lower.

Brian
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 02-15-2019, 12:32 PM
Leon's Avatar
Leon Leon is offline
Leon
peasant/forum owner
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: near Dallas
Posts: 27,457
Default

I agree, Brian. It is an interesting detail for anyone who has collected or had '39 Play Balls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianp-beme View Post
Thought I would bump this one time just because I think we came up with something that has not been noticed/written about before.

My summary would be that all the cards with player's name on the back having All Capitals appear to have a larger size photo, and thus thinner borders, than the Upper/Lower case variation cards (cards that have capitalized first Letter then lower case on back for the player's name), and thus because of this smaller image area have wider borders.

Each card from #1 through 115 is available as All Capitals, while a good chunk of these card #'s also have the Upper/Lower case variation. Card #'s 116 and above are only available with Upper/Lower case names on back, and they also appear to have the smaller size of photos as is seen with the Upper/Lower case variations with card numbers #115 and lower.

Brian
__________________
Leon Luckey
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 02-15-2019, 01:55 PM
soxinseven soxinseven is offline
Steven Sadler
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: New Salem, Ma.
Posts: 681
Default Williams

This one has upper and lower case letters. I've also noticed over the years that many of the high grade Williams examples (7/8) are off centered with large borders. I am unsure of the backs, but this theory could help explain it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Image.jpg (76.4 KB, 96 views)
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 02-15-2019, 03:29 PM
Sterling Sports Auctions's Avatar
Sterling Sports Auctions Sterling Sports Auctions is offline
Lee B.
lee be.hrens
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Alexandria, MN
Posts: 719
Default

I have scanned all the variations together but I have not web site that I save images. All the cards will be in the March 7th Sterling Auction.

Lee Behrens
320-219-1372
__________________
Tired of Ebay or looking for a place to sell your cards, let SterlingSportsAuctions.com do the work for you, monthly auctions.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 02-16-2019, 12:07 AM
bigfanNY bigfanNY is offline
Jonathan Sterling
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: NJ
Posts: 974
Default 1939 playballs

The Variations folks discussed here for the1939 Playball set have been known for decades. There was one early guide that listed them coming in 2 sizes ( due to the extra large borders). The first Baseball card dealer I met in 1973 was Paul Gallagher who ran the NYC show with his brother but My Dad and I met him at an antique show in Madison square garden. he had a table stacked with all varieties of cards. My dad had bought along a few of his playballs from 39 40 and 41. And he asked him if he had any 40 playballs And I can still see my dads face as as Mr Gallagher opened up a suitcase full. My dad went through and bought the Yankees he still needed maybe 3 or 4. He said he had as many 39's if we wanted to look but My dad said he had a nice DiMaggio but never much liked the 39's. Paul laughed yes he said NO NAMES ON THE FRONT everybody says nice pictures but no names.
So the 39 set has been the least favorite set of its era for a long time. I know there were articles written about them in the late 70's describing the variations and discussing the size differances but it has never been a popular set. That is not to say it is easy to put together, The high numbers are tough and the Williams and DiMaggio have always been sought after.
Two years later in 1975 we had completed the 40 set and my Dad had his 41 set from when he was a kid but we never completed the 39 set. My old checklist says we topped out at 128 of the 161. Glad to see renewed interest.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 02-16-2019, 04:12 PM
spec spec is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 215
Default Paul Gallagher

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfanNY View Post
The Variations folks discussed here for the1939 Playball set have been known for decades. There was one early guide that listed them coming in 2 sizes ( due to the extra large borders). The first Baseball card dealer I met in 1973 was Paul Gallagher who ran the NYC show with his brother but My Dad and I met him at an antique show in Madison square garden. he had a table stacked with all varieties of cards. My dad had bought along a few of his playballs from 39 40 and 41. And he asked him if he had any 40 playballs And I can still see my dads face as as Mr Gallagher opened up a suitcase full. My dad went through and bought the Yankees he still needed maybe 3 or 4. He said he had as many 39's if we wanted to look but My dad said he had a nice DiMaggio but never much liked the 39's. Paul laughed yes he said NO NAMES ON THE FRONT everybody says nice pictures but no names.
So the 39 set has been the least favorite set of its era for a long time. I know there were articles written about them in the late 70's describing the variations and discussing the size differances but it has never been a popular set. That is not to say it is easy to put together, The high numbers are tough and the Williams and DiMaggio have always been sought after.
Two years later in 1975 we had completed the 40 set and my Dad had his 41 set from when he was a kid but we never completed the 39 set. My old checklist says we topped out at 128 of the 161. Glad to see renewed interest.
Jonathan,
Thanks for the trip down memory lane. I spent several shows behind Paul Gallagher's table in the 70s, sorting through boxes and suitcases, usually in quest of some of the exotic nonsports cards he had. Though Paul was a bit disheveled, personally and professionally, he was kind to me and undoubtedly a passionate collector.
By the way, my understanding back in the day was that the low number Play Balls with upper and lower case names on back were issued along with the "high numbers" to bolster sales since the late series was essentially devoid of name players. In building my set, I found them about as scarce as the "high numbers."
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 02-16-2019, 04:40 PM
brianp-beme's Avatar
brianp-beme brianp-beme is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 3,120
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spec View Post
By the way, my understanding back in the day was that the low number Play Balls with upper and lower case names on back were issued along with the "high numbers" to bolster sales since the late series was essentially devoid of name players. In building my set, I found them about as scarce as the "high numbers."
That makes sense. There are 36 high numbers, and it appears that 72 cards of the 115 low numbers are available with the upper/lower case variation.

Have complete sheets of 1939 Play Ball been seen? It would be interesting to know how many cards came on a complete sheet.

Brian
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 03-08-2019, 05:34 PM
Sterling Sports Auctions's Avatar
Sterling Sports Auctions Sterling Sports Auctions is offline
Lee B.
lee be.hrens
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Alexandria, MN
Posts: 719
Default

All the variations from the collection received, are in the current Sterling auction.

Thanks

Lee Behrens
320-219-1372
__________________
Tired of Ebay or looking for a place to sell your cards, let SterlingSportsAuctions.com do the work for you, monthly auctions.
Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Size variations in 1941 Play Ball? paulcarek Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions 3 11-01-2012 01:54 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:20 AM.


ebay GSB