NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you give an opinion of a person or company your full name needs to be in your post. Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 04-30-2018, 09:48 AM
Steve Zarelli

Default Modern player signature prices: Time to check out?

I was recently chatting with a few collectors about the insanely high cost of modern players, e.g., Trout $700, Jeter $800+, Rivera $300+, Griffey $400+, etc etc.

Seasoned collectors are checking out. And, how does the hobby attract new participants at prices like this?

I used to collect the HOF postcard plaks from every new class, and I've given up. Not that I technically could not afford it, but it's a matter of principle. I'll be damned before I pay $400 for a Ken Griffey signed postcard plak. I can't even imagine what a Jeter plak is going to go for. "On sale" at Steiner for $500?

The thing is, these are NOT investments. You'll never get your money back out. God willing, these guys will be around signing for many decades. Dealers are sitting on a ton of stock, and the market is being diluted daily by a steady and mass influx of fakes.

One could argue you do it for the enjoyment, not the investment. Maybe it's me, but I just can't "enjoy" being subjected to predatory pricing to keep a frivolous thing like a collection going.

I believe it's time to cut bait and run.

Am I alone?
Old 04-30-2018, 10:04 AM
Johnny

Iím with you Steve +1 not fun anymore. Money and greed destroyed it.
Old 04-30-2018, 10:19 AM
Steve Zarelli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny630 View Post
Iím with you Steve +1 not fun anymore. Money and greed destroyed it.
Perhaps I'm getting to the point in life where priorities change.

I could have:
* A night in a nice resort for the family; and
* Meals for the day; and
* Walking around cash for entertainment.

OR

* A Ken Griffey signed postcard that will sit in a binder and I'll look at it once or twice a year.

It's not like I have to pick one over the other, but I can't shake that kind of thinking when I look at the pricing of contemporary players.

It would be one thing if it was my absolute favorite player and it was an item I would display and enjoy for years, but honestly it's not. More often than not, it's just mindlessly following a habit out of some compulsion.
Old 04-30-2018, 11:20 AM
Tyler Smith
Tyler Sm.ith

I've been thinking the exact same thing. When I was a kid (mid-late 90's) I could get auto 8x10's for the game's best at $40-$50 a pop. I remember picking up a Bonds autographed ball for $25 and a Griffey photo for $40. Can't imagine shelling out 10 times that for a Harper or Trout.
Old 04-30-2018, 11:26 AM
Johnny

Agree again Steve. Iíd much rather spend $400 on a day or two out with my family enjoying the weather at a national park or museum then spending it on a 2 second stoke of a pen on cardboard.
Old 04-30-2018, 12:40 PM
T0m C@rf@gn0

I certainly agree that the price is insane. One thing I have to wonder about regarding the influx of players who made over $100,000,000 in their careers is if they actually will sign a lot as they get older. We as collectors are used to players who, as they age, need to do shows for the extra income, or even just to pay the bills. That will no longer be the case for most players going forward. If they don't want to sign, they don't have to. As such, I wonder if some of the current or future Hall Of Famers may end up actually being fairly tough simply because they can't be bothered to sign, or at least, to sign much.

Just a thought I have had.
Old 04-30-2018, 12:46 PM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Totally agree with all of the above. Your priorities change, especially if you're like me and have retired. This doesn't help though if you have modern projects that you have to get signed. For me, I have a HOF book that I get signed, and if I went to the HOF show in July, it would cost me $1700 in autographs just to get caught up. That doesn't include needing those same players on single singed balls...there's another $1700. For the balls though, I try to find some of those same players doing private signings through card shops. A lot of times the price is a bit better.
Old 04-30-2018, 12:50 PM
Mike

Steve: I couldnít agree more. It amazes me when I see the lines for players charging 200-300 per signature. Seems to me there may be a better place to spend your money ( like on your kids education). I know all will not agree with me but thatís my 2 cents worth.
Old 04-30-2018, 12:56 PM
Sco.tt Mar.cus

I donít have any objection to shelling out $400 for a signature, but if Iím going to do that, it needs to be rare and legible. If it looks like a drunk four year old signed it, Iíll pass.
Old 04-30-2018, 01:18 PM
Christopher Williams

My friend Steve and I have talked about this numerous times.

In one way I am fortunate that I do not collect anything contemporary (except Jeter and I don't need any new purchases).

But if you're a Trout, Judge, etc. collector of autographs, you're either going to pay TOP dollar, or (for the most part), purchase a forgery on Ebay.

The forgery business has never been more profitable than right now, especially on Ebay.

There are hundreds of kitchen-table forgers selling on Ebay and Ebay loves it!!!

There are also the dozens of "Florida" sellers with their "Forensic" COAs that Ebay welcomes with open arms every time a new "Florida" account is opened.

Then you have the so-called Forensic authenticators like Stephen Rocchi (GFA), Chris "I Never Saw An Autograph I Didn't Like" Morales, etc. who have literally certed, in my opinion, probably tens upon tens of thousands of forgeries primarily of Mantle, DiMaggio, Mays, Williams, Koufax, etc.

By the way, the "Florida" sellers a few months ago are now certing Jeter forgeries accompanied with their Forensic COAs.

The majority of the below Sold Auctions are the Florida forgeries.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/Photos/2726...&LH_Complete=1