NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you give an opinion of a person or company your full name needs to be in your post. Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-17-2018, 04:25 PM
Keith O'Leary

Old 06-17-2018, 06:00 PM
Joe

Default Counterfeit Gypsy Queen

This is a great post. And this is the perfect place to share this knowledge.

Beware of the counterfeit Gypsy Queen packet. I shared this with a few guys who are on here already. I acquired this packet a few years back. Luckily, I was able to return it to the antique book store who sold it and received a full refund. The seller was from down in the southwest, like AZ or NM. He was unaware of its authenticity. File this one away because it may resurface in another auction down the road!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5648.JPG (55.4 KB, 327 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5649.JPG (56.3 KB, 330 views)
Old 06-17-2018, 06:29 PM

Default Punch

an iconic brand - likely among the longest lived of all national/international cigar brands. There was usually a devil or policeman involved in the Punch and Judy puppets that were featured on the streets of England I believe. I had a cloth glass and wooden devil puppet from the series my mother brought me in the 1950's. Only the head remains - form your own conclusions. I also have a couple of figural pieces including a go to bed silver matchsafe (also used as a happy ending timer) and a cigar box or two. Their early graphics are eerie and superior. I'll try and post a box top. Have only seen that pack once before - quite nice in that configuration. A beauty.

I sold my TTT to the person WHO SHOULD HAVE IT. 'nuff said

Kieth - OOO - nice to see you posting! Any story to accompany the post?
Old 06-17-2018, 06:32 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default Lone Jack and Gypsy Queen

A few my good friend Jay M. (Oldjudge) sent over to post, from his collection. I think I might recognize one of them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jayp1.jpg (79.5 KB, 321 views)
File Type: jpg jayp2.jpg (78.5 KB, 320 views)
File Type: jpg jayp3.jpg (77.5 KB, 324 views)
Old 06-17-2018, 06:42 PM

Default very nice

what does he need the Lone Jack for???
Old 06-17-2018, 06:45 PM
Jon Canfield

Only one, Leon?
Old 06-17-2018, 07:25 PM
Joe Gonsowski

Love this thread, love the 19th century packs. Most of mine would be repeats of what has already been shown. Here are the three variations of SF Hess Creole, all with 1883 tax stamps (meaning they were issued between 1883 and 1893). This date range can be narrowed down a bit as the slide and shell packs didn't gain wide usage until late 1886 into 1887. They are in what I believe to be chronological order, left to right.

- 19th century Detroit memorabilia and cards with emphasis on Goodwin & Co. issues ( N172 / N173 / N175 ) and Tomlinson cabinets
- N333 SF Hess Newsboys League cards (all teams)
- Pre ATC Merger (1890 and prior) cigarette packs and redemption coupons from all manufacturers

Last edited by Joe_G.; 06-17-2018 at 07:27 PM.
Old 06-17-2018, 07:33 PM
Orlando Rodriguez

From a guy who doesn’t focus on tobacco cards, I am in love with this thread. These packs are just so beautiful. We are often stunned that old cards still exist; it is mind blowing that cigarette packs still exist from over 100 years ago! Did any of you guys ever pull a card from a pack? I noticed that Jon had a Lewis next to an Obak pack, and it made me wonder if he pulled it.

Last edited by orly57; 06-17-2018 at 07:41 PM.
Old 06-17-2018, 07:36 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Quote:
Originally Posted by canjond View Post
Punch and Judy is a traditional, popular, and usually violent puppet show featuring Pulcinella (Mr. Punch) and his wife Judy.
I had no idea the brand was a reference to Punch and Judy. Yowza! Thought they were just being bizarre on their own.
http://s1036.photobucket.com/user/elmjack44/library/

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel
Old 06-17-2018, 08:46 PM
Jon Canfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by orly57 View Post
From a guy who doesn’t focus on tobacco cards, I am in love with this thread. These packs are just so beautiful. We are often stunned that old cards still exist; it is mind blowing that cigarette packs still exist from over 100 years ago! Did any of you guys ever pull a card from a pack? I noticed that Jon had a Lewis next to an Obak pack, and it made me wonder if he pulled it.
Orlando - I did not pull the card myself, but it came out of that pack (and yes, everything is still together). I originally purchased the pack from Frank Ward I believe. If memory serves me correct, the person who purchased the pack originally didn't realize it was still unopened, and when he or she looked to see if it was full, found the card still tight inside.