NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you give an opinion of a person or company your full name needs to be in your post. Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 06-19-2018, 01:20 PM
sterlingfox's Avatar
sterlingfox sterlingfox is offline
Dmitry D.
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 530
Default

At first, I thought there were just a few random stamped letters and residue on the back of this M116 Speaker... until I realized that it was actually a variation of the pointing finger back stamp that's normally only found on T206s!

The T206 isn't mine.



Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 06-19-2018, 01:54 PM
SMPEP SMPEP is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 761
Default

I always liked that the 1964 Philadelphia Cleveland Browns (except Dick Schafrath) all posed in front of Jim Brown's Pink Cadillac. I wonder if he got it for selling Mary K products?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1964-Philadelphia-Gum-Cleveland-Browns-Team-Set.jpg (29.0 KB, 418 views)
__________________
__________________
Looking for 1923 W572 Barbare, Duncan, Rigney and Wambsganss.

Last edited by SMPEP; 06-19-2018 at 01:57 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 06-19-2018, 02:03 PM
thatkidfromjerrymaguire thatkidfromjerrymaguire is offline
member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 18
Default

Found this card referenced on old blog a couple weeks ago (Bob Lemke's Blog).

Potentially, the 1952 Bowman Sam Mele features the first tattoo pictured on a baseball card? Since this is the current set I'm building, I thought it was kinda cool. Does anyone have a pre-1952 card depicting a tattoo that could prove this theory wrong?

mele.jpg
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 06-19-2018, 02:54 PM
brianp-beme's Avatar
brianp-beme brianp-beme is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 2,580
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatkidfromjerrymaguire View Post
Found this card referenced on old blog a couple weeks ago (Bob Lemke's Blog).

Potentially, the 1952 Bowman Sam Mele features the first tattoo pictured on a baseball card? Since this is the current set I'm building, I thought it was kinda cool. Does anyone have a pre-1952 card depicting a tattoo that could prove this theory wrong?

Attachment 320260
No theory disproving here, but I instantly thought of this T218 boxing card of Dave Deshler with the sailing ship on his chest.

Brian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg t218b381.jpg (81.2 KB, 397 views)

Last edited by brianp-beme; 06-19-2018 at 02:56 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 06-19-2018, 03:01 PM
packs packs is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 4,882
Default

I bought this card on a whim while I was in Berlin last week. At the time I just thought it was cool to buy a card featuring Jesse Owens during the 1936 Olympics that was released in Berlin while I was in Berlin. But there is a lot more going on here:



The story behind the photo is that Luz Long, a German athlete, had gone well out of his way to befriend Jesse Owens during the Olympics in open defiance of Hitler. At this moment Long was giving Owens pointers on his long jump. Owens only had one more jump left to qualify for the finals and had fouled on his previous jumps. Jesse would go on to qualify on his next jump and eventually won Gold in the event, with Long finishing second.

During World War II Long served in the German air force and was shot down and killed over Italy, leaving his 2 children without a father. Owens never forgot about Luz though and the Long family never forgot about Owens. Years later Jesse Owens would serve as best man for Luz Long's son at his wedding.

Last edited by packs; 06-19-2018 at 03:07 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 06-19-2018, 03:06 PM
Cozumeleno's Avatar
Cozumeleno Cozumeleno is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 744
Default

I'll never get tired of looking at these cards. Three of my all-time favorites. I didn't appreciate any of them the way I did until I got them in hand and saw them up close.
__________________
Primary Interests:
T205 Gold Border (217/217)
T206 White Border (520/520)
T207 Brown Background (179/200)
E90-1 (70/121)
E91-A/B/C (44/99)
W512/W513 Strip (91/100)
W515 Strip (19/60)
1933-38 Goudey Run (128/445)
1939 Play Ball (78/161)

OBC Member

Creator of:
www.prewarcards.com
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 06-19-2018, 03:11 PM
AGuinness AGuinness is offline
Garth Guibord
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 213
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
I bought this card on a whim while I was in Berlin last week. At the time I just thought it was cool to buy a card featuring Jesse Owens during the 1936 Olympics that was released in Berlin while I was in Berlin. But there is a lot more going on here:



The story behind the photo is that Luz Long, a German athlete, had gone well out of his way to befriend Jesse Owens during the Olympics in open defiance of Hitler. At this moment Long was giving Owens pointers on his long jump. Owens only had one more jump left to qualify for the finals and had fouled on his previous jumps. Jesse would go on to qualify on his next jump and eventually won Gold in the event, with Long finishing second.

During World War II Long served in the German air force and was shot down and killed over Italy, leaving his 2 children without a father. Owens never forgot about Luz though and the Long family never forgot about Owens. Years later Jesse Owens would serve as best man for Luz Long's son at his wedding.


Great card, even better story. That sounds like it could be a movie...


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 06-19-2018, 03:38 PM
Aquarian Sports Cards Aquarian Sports Cards is offline
Scott Russell
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 2,055
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGuinness View Post
Great card, even better story. That sounds like it could be a movie...


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It was. TV movie in 1984 focused pretty specifically on their relationship. Don't know how much they embellished it but supposedly the DQ's on his first two qualifying jumps were bogus, so Luz intentionally dropped a towel about a foot short of the mark so if Owens took off from the towel there would be no disputing it was a clean jump and Owens could clear the qualifying distance no problem, even giving up a foot.
__________________
Great experience buying from edjs and mybuddyinc. Check out my ebay store, weird, eclectic, accurate, and reasonable! http://stores.ebay.com/Aquarian-Sports-Cards Also check out http://www.birminghamauctioneers.com

Last edited by Aquarian Sports Cards; 06-19-2018 at 03:41 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 06-19-2018, 07:43 PM
CW's Avatar
CW CW is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 2,245
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by luciobar1980 View Post
Iíll go first. I never realized this was Nap Lajoie tagging Collins.. I always figured it was Murphy. Two of the greatest second basemen of all time!
Lucio, have you ever seen this old thread about Shoeless Joe being discovered (and proven to be) on the center panel of this T202 card?

If not, definitely check it out. Maybe one of the most fascinating threads ever on Net54 that didn't contain any drama.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 06-19-2018, 08:35 PM
ccre's Avatar
ccre ccre is offline
Dave Wilson
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 455
Default

Love it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pherbener View Post
They guy hitting the other guy in the head with a bat behind Matty!!
Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Different Ways to Realize How Old You've Gotten: clydepepper Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk 0 04-18-2018 12:42 PM
Vintage Bowman - players who didn't get cards TanksAndSpartans Football Cards Forum 15 02-17-2018 06:09 AM
Selling Cards You Didn't Want To Or Have To? T206Collector Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions 25 09-11-2015 08:13 AM
Cool things written on cards(at least cool to you) Archive Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions 8 11-17-2008 08:50 PM
I didn't realize Beckett allowed you to write an article about yourself Archive Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions 0 11-22-2002 03:15 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:01 AM.


ebay GSB