NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you give an opinion of a person or company your full name needs to be in your post. Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 08-09-2012, 06:55 PM
James Graham
James Gra.ham

Quote:
Originally Posted by travrosty View Post
there is no such thing as a restored autograph. because it happened 7 years ago is no excuse not to figure out what happened with the provenance.

if restored autographs in sports is acceptable, then there is a lot of "restored" autograph for sale all over the place, it's called no good.

a big question is how it was restored, does eac know how because it is scary to think how many more autographs out there are "restored" like that?

how can it be listed as the finest truman signed ball extant, if it isn't trumans signature, but "restored"

I am not buying that restored excuse. there is no such thing as a restored autograph. no fault of yours james, thanks for getting the explanation.

If eac knew it was "restored" they should have rejected the signed ball at the least and contacting authorities wouldn't have been out of the question. to say that they specialize in historical items is a cop out. Reznikoff knows darn well that "restored" sports autographs is something that doesn't exist. This stinks.
All great points. I simply called Larry to hear his side of the story...Travis, like I said in my PM to you, he washed is hands of the whole deal.
"What I have done after my baseball career -- being able to help people with their lives and getting their lives back on track so they become productive human beings again -- that means more to me than all the things I did in baseball" - Don Newcombe

HOF Collection at #226 and downsizing...
http://www.freewebs.com/jgmp123/
Old 08-09-2012, 07:57 PM
Steve Zarelli

Quote:
Originally Posted by drc View Post
If the PSA LOA (some might call it 'provenance') is just the one LOA from the first sale (and that was reused for the second sale), it would appear PSA did nothing errant. All the restoration and resale would have happened after the fact. And there's no evidence PSA issued a second LOA. In fact, my guess is they didn't.
Sorry, but this does not fit the narrative the OP wishes to convey.

I read the Hauls of Shame article. While rife with innuendo and unrelated red herrings purely meant to embarass, I didn't see a shred of evidence a new LOA was issued since the original.

Incidentally, I continue to see statements implying there will be indictments handed down (wishful thinking) to PSA/DNA in regard to the Mastro case. Do these people realize that the card grading component PSA, is not the same as the autograph authentication division PSA/DNA? Or do they realize that but just throw PSA/DNA into the article to muddy them up?
Old 08-09-2012, 08:18 PM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zipper View Post
Sorry, but this does not fit the narrative the OP wishes to convey.

I read the Hauls of Shame article. While rife with innuendo and unrelated red herrings purely meant to embarass, I didn't see a shred of evidence a new LOA was issued since the original.

Incidentally, I continue to see statements implying there will be indictments handed down (wishful thinking) to PSA/DNA in regard to the Mastro case. Do these people realize that the card grading component PSA, is not the same as the autograph authentication division PSA/DNA? Or do they realize that but just throw PSA/DNA into the article to muddy them up?
Steve, you must have been reading my mind. You just saved me a lot of typing.
Old 08-09-2012, 09:14 PM

Steve, is there any connection between Autograph Magazine (published by Steve Cyrkin), and Collectors Universe?
Old 08-09-2012, 09:20 PM
Adam Phillips

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
....are there issues with PSA/DNA as well as JSA authentications?

Quite a few, and new ones come to light every week. Do a search on here in regard to PSA/DNA and JSA and your eyes will be opened.
So...as a new collector who knows next to nothing about legitimate vs non-legitimate signatures which authentication service can be trusted? MLB? Steiner? None?
Old 08-09-2012, 09:24 PM

The third one on your list.
Old 08-09-2012, 10:12 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

Adam,

I think as a new collector, you would be best served reading through older posts first to kind of come up to speed, and then ask questions to clarify or fill in the gaps. I know it's not the easiest thing to hear "do your homework first," and I don't mean that to be rude, but consider also that even in asking a question as simple as "who can I trust," without having any background info to frame the answer(s) offered, you really can't judge whether the response itself is trustworthy.

That's not to say that I think anyone here is lying to you or trying to mislead you, but particularly when you start talking Third Party Authenticators or Grading, you're likely to get twice as many answers as there are TPA's, every response you get is going to have a "history" behind it.
Old 08-09-2012, 10:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgmp123 View Post
All great points. I simply called Larry to hear his side of the story...Travis, like I said in my PM to you, he washed is hands of the whole deal.

they all do. the excuse that it was a long time ago doesn't wash with me either. thanks for talking to them, i appreciate it.
Old 08-09-2012, 10:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Atkatz View Post
Steve, is there any connection between Autograph Magazine (published by Steve Cyrkin), and Collectors Universe?

no one is home so i will answer.

cyrkin was one of the founder of pcgs, and collectors universe, he invested 10,000 dollars for 10 percent of pcgs, the coin grading company, and ultimate ended up with over a million shares of stock (about 5 percent) in collectors universe stock when it brought in pcgs. He goes out of his way for no one to know this. no one is suppose to know. He wants people to think he is impartial, and in order to blog on autograph magazine live you have to follow the company line or you are out. Thus the PSA defenders who wants to keep their blogging card there and stay in his good graces.

Steve Z. was one of the biggest psa critics (read his old articles) until he had a road to Damascus conversion somehow. But PSA/DNA hasn't changed their stripes one bit along the way. Why are they the best thing since sliced bread now, but back then they were the object of his derision? I don't know.

http://www.pcgs.com/Articles/Detail/3740

http://clct.client.shareholder.com/s...10&CIK=1089143

page 57

http://zipper68.blogspot.com/2004/06/psadna-goof.html

http://zipper68.blogspot.com/2004/06...s-autopen.html

http://www.richardsimonsports.com/barrons.htm

Last edited by travrosty; 08-09-2012 at 10:34 PM.
Old 08-09-2012, 11:29 PM
Adam Phillips

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatspajamas View Post
Adam,

I think as a new collector, you would be best served reading through older posts first to kind of come up to speed, and then ask questions to clarify or fill in the gaps. I know it's not the easiest thing to hear "do your homework first," and I don't mean that to be rude, but consider also that even in asking a question as simple as "who can I trust," without having any background info to frame the answer(s) offered, you really can't judge whether the response itself is trustworthy.

That's not to say that I think anyone here is lying to you or trying to mislead you, but particularly when you start talking Third Party Authenticators or Grading, you're likely to get twice as many answers as there are TPA's, every response you get is going to have a "history" behind it.
I've been doing a great deal of reading through older posts since I joined and have already learned a great deal. I in no way take your suggestion to be rude. Quite the contrary, I find it to be sound advice. I'll continue reading the older threads in an attempt to answer some of my questions. Thanks for the response.