NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you give an opinion of a person or company your full name needs to be in your post. Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on Ebay
Pre-WWII Cards
Post WWII Cards
Vintage Memorabilia
Babe Ruth Cards
Ty Cobb Cards
Lou Gehrig Cards
Mickey Mantle Cards
Goudey Cards
Bowman Cards
T205s on Ebay
Tobacco "T" Cards
Caramel "E" Cards
Vintage Baseball Postcards
Football Cards on Ebay
Exhibit Cards
Strip Cards
Baking Cards
Sporting News
Playball Cards on Ebay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-02-2014, 05:13 PM
bat_master bat_master is online now
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 233
Default June Pickups

I didn't see a thread started for June pickups so I figured I would start this one off not with a bang...more of an explosion.

1932 H&B Jimmie Foxx

Heavily used Jimmie Foxx bat from the 1932 season. Bat was returned to the H&B factory for duplication as evidenced by the side writing on the left barrel. Thankfully for me (financially) it wasn't returned by Foxx, but was returned by his teammate, backup catcher Johnny Heving, on June 9, 1932.

That year (1932) was significant to Foxx as it was one of his best seasons statistically (151 runs scored, 213 hits, 33 doubles, 9 triples, 58 HRs, 169 RBI, and .364 average). He won his first of three American League MVP Awards and missed winning the TRIPLE CROWN by a mere 3 points. The player who won the batting title (Dale Alexander of the Red Sox) hit .367, but in 454 plate appearances. Under current rules he would not have won the batting title and the TC would have belonged to Foxx, who did win it the following season in 1933 (.356/48/163) and also repeated as AL MVP.


__________________
Tim Byington
Hall of Fame Bats
http://www.hofbats.com
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-02-2014, 06:14 PM
UnVme7 UnVme7 is offline
N@te
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1,211
Default

Really nice bat, Tim! His bats aren't easy to get your hands on, and if you are lucky enough to, it will cost ya! It being sidewritten is a nice touch as well. Great eye appeal overall.

Good to see a post of some gamers around here too! Mine were starting to get a little lonely the last few months!
__________________
Always Buying game used BATS

A portion of my collection on photobucket:

http://s556.photobucket.com/user/nde...33684576403752
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-02-2014, 06:38 PM
MGHPro's Avatar
MGHPro MGHPro is offline
Matt
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: NJ
Posts: 1,179
Default

Great looking bat - congrats .
__________________

Matt Bub13@aol.com
Always looking for 40k Kork Grip Bats, Babe Ruth, Honus Wagner, Ty Cobb, Lou Gehrig and Joe Jackson Bats & Gloves
http://oldbaseballbats.webs.com/
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-02-2014, 06:53 PM
GKreindler's Avatar
GKreindler GKreindler is offline
Graig Kreindler
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 1,406
Default

KILLER bat, Tim. Bravo!

Graig
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-02-2014, 07:35 PM
doug.goodman doug.goodman is offline
Doug Goodman
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: On tour somewhere
Posts: 2,144
Default

I don't collect bats, but THAT is a cool bat.

Congrats.

Doug
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-02-2014, 07:41 PM
daves_resale_shop's Avatar
daves_resale_shop daves_resale_shop is offline
David Linardy
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: southport, CT
Posts: 2,556
Default Double xx

A Beast of a pickup!!!

congratulations!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-02-2014, 08:01 PM
Bugsy's Avatar
Bugsy Bugsy is offline
©hri$ $€X₮ŘΝ
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 687
Default

Just BEAUTIFUL, Tim! One of the nicest bats I've ever seen.
__________________
Always looking for:

1913 Cravats pennants

St. Paul Saints Game Used Bats and Memorabilia

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=180664
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-02-2014, 08:02 PM
perezfan's Avatar
perezfan perezfan is online now
M@RK ST€!NBERG
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 4,266
Default

Gorgeous Foxx Gamer..... man, that's a tight grain on that beauty.

Congrats!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-02-2014, 08:15 PM
sayhey24's Avatar
sayhey24 sayhey24 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,222
Default

Tim --

I especially like the small signature!

Greg
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-02-2014, 08:18 PM
perezfan's Avatar
perezfan perezfan is online now
M@RK ST€!NBERG
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 4,266
Default

I haven't see anyone post winnings from Heritage, esecially with regard to the LeRoy Neiman Ball collection that was recently offered. So guess I will be the first. Couldn't resist this one, as it has a great image of the famous Femlin (in a Batting pose, no less). Signed and dated on adjacent panels... a nifty original Neiman!

Second is a gorgeous and heavy St. Louis Browns Jacket, circa 1940s.

Last is a pretty cool Jim Coates mid-1960s Angels Jacket. Another stunner....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Neiman2.jpg (64.9 KB, 629 views)
File Type: jpg Neiman1.jpg (63.0 KB, 629 views)
File Type: jpg Neiman3.jpg (63.5 KB, 629 views)
File Type: jpg Browns.jpg (66.6 KB, 631 views)
File Type: jpg Coates.jpg (38.2 KB, 630 views)
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 06-02-2014, 08:35 PM
bobfreedman bobfreedman is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 976
Default Awesome Pick Up

I just got this in the mail last week and it looks better in real life and that is hard to believe. Thanks Greg, you do awesome work and I am proud to own this. I also own the photo and card, not sure if I want to do a combo of the three but it is neat to own all three of them
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cy_Young 1909 Painting.jpg (53.8 KB, 544 views)

Last edited by bobfreedman; 06-02-2014 at 11:19 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 06-02-2014, 08:58 PM
UnVme7 UnVme7 is offline
N@te
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1,211
Default

Great painting, Bob. He does some amazing work.
__________________
Always Buying game used BATS

A portion of my collection on photobucket:

http://s556.photobucket.com/user/nde...33684576403752
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 06-02-2014, 09:37 PM
Runscott's Avatar
Runscott Runscott is offline
Belltown Vintage
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 10,542
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
I haven't see anyone post winnings from Heritage, esecially with regard to the LeRoy Neiman Ball collection that was recently offered. So guess I will be the first. Couldn't resist this one, as it has a great image of the famous Femlin (in a Batting pose, no less). Signed and dated on adjacent panels... a nifty original Neiman!

Second is a gorgeous and heavy St. Louis Browns Jacket, circa 1940s.

Last is a pretty cool Jim Coates mid-1960s Angels Jacket. Another stunner....
Nice pick-ups, Mark. I was thinking one of those Neiman balls would have looked great in my ball case - especially an example such as yours. That Browns jacket is also very nice.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 06-02-2014, 09:38 PM
Runscott's Avatar
Runscott Runscott is offline
Belltown Vintage
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 10,542
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobfreedman View Post
I just got this in the mail last week and it looks better in real life and that is hard to believe. Thanks Greg, you do awesome work and I am proud to own this. I also on the photo and card, not sure if I want to do a combo of the three but it is neat to own all three of them
Beautiful choice, Bob.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 06-03-2014, 08:56 AM
bat_master bat_master is online now
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 233
Default

Thanks everyone for the kind words about the Foxx bat. I'm just glad it is finally home! You see, this bat has a bit of a back story to it. Get ready for a soul baring tale with details so fuzzy with the passage of time that I had to go back through emails just to get the timeline correct.

This story starts in July of 2009 with a completely random phone call that I received from the owner of the bat. I was still living in Minnesota and was still married to who is now my ex-wife. A lot has changed since then.

The owner called me and said that he had a bat that said 'Jimmie Foxx' on it. Being somewhat skeptical due to the rare nature of Foxx bats, I asked him what was in the center label; whether it was 125 or something else, like 40JF. He responded that it had a 125. I next asked him if there was anything stamped into the knob. He said no...not that he could see. He also mentioned that there was some writing on the barrel that looked like possibly crayon.

At that point, if I remember right I told him that this was potentially a pretty valuable bat that and that I would really like to have him send me some photos. He did, and after examining the pictures I was able to tell that this was a 1932 Jimmie Foxx made of hickory wood which was correct for the majority of his orders that year. Unfortunately, while the side written date and team name were visible the name was not. However, the date was not listed in Foxx's records so I was pretty confident that it was most likely not returned to the factory by Foxx. At the time, I was in no position to buy it or even make an offer and even though he isn't in the hobby, he was content to enjoy it for awhile. In retrospect this was a good thing as just a month later I was in the middle of a divorce.

Looking back through my emails I see we exchanged 8 messages in 2009 and just 3 in 2010. The first of those messages in 2010 was a patient inquiry to see if he still had it and to let him know that if he was ready to sell at some point...I was interested in buying.

Fast forward to January 2011...I contacted him again with another patient inquiry and this time he informed me that he was expecting the birth of his first child and that, as life changes happen, this might be a good time to sell. We discussed the bat at length and eventually I made him an offer. It wasn't cheap, but for what it was, I thought it was pretty reasonable. I sent him a down payment on it that September.

Fast forward to 2013...2 years of just the occasional email letting him know that I was still around. During that time, I bought a house and was married again. Both costly endeavors.

Fast forward to February 2014...I found out that I'm going to be a father. I had a good friend of mine (who has kids already) stress to me the importance of getting this deal done. I'm glad he did. It's ironic that the life changing event that caused the owner to finally sell was the same event that caused me to buy.

Throughout the spring of 2014 I made some deals and was able to raise the majority of the remaining balance. He agreed that after that was paid he would send me the bat for examination and I could pay off the last couple thousand dollars over time. Well worth it and I'm glad he had the patience to stick with me.

My daughter will be here in October. If we can't come up with a middle name I may slyly suggest "Foxx".
__________________
Tim Byington
Hall of Fame Bats
http://www.hofbats.com

Last edited by bat_master; 06-03-2014 at 08:56 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 06-03-2014, 09:03 AM
RelicSports RelicSports is offline
Andrew L@Vine
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Chicago
Posts: 444
Default

Awesome story and a GREAT bat! Congratulations on the bat and your impending arrival!
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 06-03-2014, 09:50 AM
Bugsy's Avatar
Bugsy Bugsy is offline
©hri$ $€X₮ŘΝ
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 687
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat_master View Post
Thanks everyone for the kind words about the Foxx bat. I'm just glad it is finally home! You see, this bat has a bit of a back story to it. Get ready for a soul baring tale with details so fuzzy with the passage of time that I had to go back through emails just to get the timeline correct.

This story starts in July of 2009 with a completely random phone call that I received from the owner of the bat. I was still living in Minnesota and was still married to who is now my ex-wife. A lot has changed since then.

The owner called me and said that he had a bat that said 'Jimmie Foxx' on it. Being somewhat skeptical due to the rare nature of Foxx bats, I asked him what was in the center label; whether it was 125 or something else, like 40JF. He responded that it had a 125. I next asked him if there was anything stamped into the knob. He said no...not that he could see. He also mentioned that there was some writing on the barrel that looked like possibly crayon.

At that point, if I remember right I told him that this was potentially a pretty valuable bat that and that I would really like to have him send me some photos. He did, and after examining the pictures I was able to tell that this was a 1932 Jimmie Foxx made of hickory wood which was correct for the majority of his orders that year. Unfortunately, while the side written date and team name were visible the name was not. However, the date was not listed in Foxx's records so I was pretty confident that it was most likely not returned to the factory by Foxx. At the time, I was in no position to buy it or even make an offer and even though he isn't in the hobby, he was content to enjoy it for awhile. In retrospect this was a good thing as just a month later I was in the middle of a divorce.

Looking back through my emails I see we exchanged 8 messages in 2009 and just 3 in 2010. The first of those messages in 2010 was a patient inquiry to see if he still had it and to let him know that if he was ready to sell at some point...I was interested in buying.

Fast forward to January 2011...I contacted him again with another patient inquiry and this time he informed me that he was expecting the birth of his first child and that, as life changes happen, this might be a good time to sell. We discussed the bat at length and eventually I made him an offer. It wasn't cheap, but for what it was, I thought it was pretty reasonable. I sent him a down payment on it that September.

Fast forward to 2013...2 years of just the occasional email letting him know that I was still around. During that time, I bought a house and was married again. Both costly endeavors.

Fast forward to February 2014...I found out that I'm going to be a father. I had a good friend of mine (who has kids already) stress to me the importance of getting this deal done. I'm glad he did. It's ironic that the life changing event that caused the owner to finally sell was the same event that caused me to buy.

Throughout the spring of 2014 I made some deals and was able to raise the majority of the remaining balance. He agreed that after that was paid he would send me the bat for examination and I could pay off the last couple thousand dollars over time. Well worth it and I'm glad he had the patience to stick with me.

My daughter will be here in October. If we can't come up with a middle name I may slyly suggest "Foxx".

Fantastic story, Tim! The bat certainly ended up with the right person. It will always be a particularly special bat for you. Most importantly, of course, congratulations on the baby! I'm really happy for you. Come this fall, you will probably be on here more often since you won't be able to get out of the house as much :-)

Chris
__________________
Always looking for:

1913 Cravats pennants

St. Paul Saints Game Used Bats and Memorabilia

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=180664
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 06-03-2014, 02:25 PM
ksfarmboy's Avatar
ksfarmboy ksfarmboy is offline
Clint
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Kansas
Posts: 940
Default

Great bat and story Tim!
__________________
Buying Kansas CDVs, Cabinets, RPPCs and other pre 1930 memorabilia.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 06-03-2014, 03:00 PM
WillowGrove's Avatar
WillowGrove WillowGrove is offline
Peter F
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 962
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug.goodman View Post
I don't collect bats, but THAT is a cool bat.

Congrats.

Doug
+1. Congrats on your pick up. What a piece of lumber!
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 06-03-2014, 03:45 PM
CarltonHendricks's Avatar
CarltonHendricks CarltonHendricks is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 942
Default Alameda P/U's

 photo PICT9322_zps2fc952e0.jpg
Jim Plunkett photo, framed 18 1/2" tall

 photo PICT9321_zpsf4349666.jpg
c1930 Pulvex Dog Products die cut easel back sign, 17 1/2" tall

Picked up these two pieces Sunday at Alameda...I don't know if Autograph collectors would or wouldn't like such a personalized photo of Plunkett but I really like it...wouldn't mind keeping it but no room so will probably go on eBay...At work I once gave him and his wife a ride to his room...real genuine and pleasant...

The bulldog sign had to have been a blessing from the Lord...I got there 2 hours before closing and no one had bought it....FOR $20.00!!!...Has a few issues but the easel looked like it had never been opened...I sort of thought I might put it on eBay when I got it....but it may be a keeper now!


 photo PICT9334_zps8ded2061.jpg

 photo PICT9335_zps234e94c9.jpg

 photo PICT9331_zpsde88d2ae.jpg
__________________
Do you read Sports Antique of the Week? Check it out on my site SportsAntiques.com/Antique of the Week

Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 06-03-2014, 07:40 PM
UnVme7 UnVme7 is offline
N@te
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1,211
Default

1961-63 Bob Will game used bat
1991-93 Omar Vizquel game used bat
1996 Dave Hollins game used bat
1987ish Gary Ward game used Yankees bat
2010ish Adrian Beltre game used bat
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (85.1 KB, 490 views)
__________________
Always Buying game used BATS

A portion of my collection on photobucket:

http://s556.photobucket.com/user/nde...33684576403752
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 06-03-2014, 07:40 PM
UnVme7 UnVme7 is offline
N@te
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1,211
Default

Pic 2
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (78.6 KB, 491 views)
__________________
Always Buying game used BATS

A portion of my collection on photobucket:

http://s556.photobucket.com/user/nde...33684576403752
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 06-06-2014, 10:31 AM
scooter729's Avatar
scooter729 scooter729 is offline
Scott S
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Boston area
Posts: 2,036
Default

1916 World Series program (Boston variety) - a very tough program to find in any sort of condition.

Plus, this is scored from the 14-inning complete game performance by Babe Ruth!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1916 program ws1.jpg (77.6 KB, 405 views)
File Type: jpg 1916 program ws2.jpg (62.9 KB, 403 views)

Last edited by scooter729; 06-06-2014 at 10:35 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 06-06-2014, 12:12 PM
Scott Garner's Avatar
Scott Garner Scott Garner is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Midwest
Posts: 5,404
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter729 View Post
1916 World Series program (Boston variety) - a very tough program to find in any sort of condition.

Plus, this is scored from the 14-inning complete game performance by Babe Ruth!
Scott,
That is a CRAZY great pickup! Wow!
Is there any chance you could show the scorepage?
Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 06-06-2014, 01:02 PM
scooter729's Avatar
scooter729 scooter729 is offline
Scott S
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Boston area
Posts: 2,036
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Garner View Post
Scott,
That is a CRAZY great pickup! Wow!
Is there any chance you could show the scorepage?
Thanks!
Thanks Scott - appreciate it! Here is the scorepage from that game - nicely scored by the lucky person in attendance:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1916 program ws3.jpg (71.5 KB, 385 views)
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 06-06-2014, 01:19 PM
Scott Garner's Avatar
Scott Garner Scott Garner is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Midwest
Posts: 5,404
Default

Thanks Scott! Beautiful scorebook and it's in great shape. Congrats!
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 06-06-2014, 01:42 PM
YankeeFan's Avatar
YankeeFan YankeeFan is offline
Jack T
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Freeport, Florida
Posts: 264
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter729 View Post
1916 World Series program (Boston variety) - a very tough program to find in any sort of condition.

Plus, this is scored from the 14-inning complete game performance by Babe Ruth!
WOW! That is an awesome piece. Congratulations on acquiring it.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 06-06-2014, 01:56 PM
scooter729's Avatar
scooter729 scooter729 is offline
Scott S
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Boston area
Posts: 2,036
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeeFan View Post
WOW! That is an awesome piece. Congratulations on acquiring it.
Thanks guys - appreciate the comments. I was quite happy to get it, though I might have to skip a few lunches in the near future to pay for it!
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 06-06-2014, 01:56 PM
Runscott's Avatar
Runscott Runscott is offline
Belltown Vintage
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 10,542
Default

+1 Did you by any chance pick up the 1915 Boston W.S. program in Verkman's auction the other night? (I was the underbidder)
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 06-06-2014, 02:06 PM
scooter729's Avatar
scooter729 scooter729 is offline
Scott S
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Boston area
Posts: 2,036
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
+1 Did you by any chance pick up the 1915 Boston W.S. program in Verkman's auction the other night? (I was the underbidder)
It wasn't me, Scott - I already have a '15 program which is why I wanted the '16 one as a nice companion piece.

I was watching the Clean Sweep one and it would've been a nice price at your bid, but you probably made the right call not to go higher than the final price for the shape it was in. Hope another one pops up soon for you!
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 06-06-2014, 05:06 PM
Runscott's Avatar
Runscott Runscott is offline
Belltown Vintage
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 10,542
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter729 View Post
It wasn't me, Scott - I already have a '15 program which is why I wanted the '16 one as a nice companion piece.

I was watching the Clean Sweep one and it would've been a nice price at your bid, but you probably made the right call not to go higher than the final price for the shape it was in. Hope another one pops up soon for you!
Thanks, Scott. I wasn't really dying to get it. I have a mini-collection of signatures from players on the 1915 Red Sox team, so threw a bid at it. Luckily it did not stick, as I won other things.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 06-07-2014, 01:06 PM
Gorilla777 Gorilla777 is offline
Ben
member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: SoCal
Posts: 29
Default

Roberto Clemente '65-'68 bat:

The use on this bat is phenomenal and after I saw it in person, just had to go after it in the SCP Auction and the price ending up being pretty good too.

Ben
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Clemente front barrel.jpg (50.5 KB, 386 views)
File Type: jpg Clemente angle barrel 1.jpg (28.3 KB, 384 views)
File Type: jpg Clemente angle barrel 3.jpg (32.2 KB, 384 views)
File Type: jpg Clemente full front bat.jpg (70.5 KB, 384 views)
File Type: jpg Clemente full back bat.jpg (77.0 KB, 384 views)
File Type: jpg Clemente bat knob end.jpg (43.5 KB, 385 views)
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 06-07-2014, 01:26 PM
Gorilla777 Gorilla777 is offline
Ben
member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: SoCal
Posts: 29
Default

2000 Derek Jeter road jersey:

Ben
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Derek Jeter 2000 jersey front.jpg (42.4 KB, 383 views)
File Type: jpg Derek Jeter 2000 jersey back.jpg (35.8 KB, 382 views)
File Type: jpg Derek Jeter 2000 jersey pic 1.jpg (24.1 KB, 381 views)
File Type: jpg Derek Jeter 2000 pic 2.jpg (33.6 KB, 381 views)
File Type: jpg Derek Jeter 2000 pic 3.jpg (69.9 KB, 381 views)
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 06-07-2014, 01:35 PM
UnVme7 UnVme7 is offline
N@te
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1,211
Default

Good ones, Ben.
__________________
Always Buying game used BATS

A portion of my collection on photobucket:

http://s556.photobucket.com/user/nde...33684576403752
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 06-07-2014, 02:05 PM
Scott Garner's Avatar
Scott Garner Scott Garner is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Midwest
Posts: 5,404
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla777 View Post
Roberto Clemente '65-'68 bat:

The use on this bat is phenomenal and after I saw it in person, just had to go after it in the SCP Auction and the price ending up being pretty good too.

Ben
Beautiful Clemente bat, Ben!
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 06-07-2014, 02:21 PM
Scott Garner's Avatar
Scott Garner Scott Garner is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Midwest
Posts: 5,404
Default Gaylord Perry signed no-hitter ticket and complimentary letter

I suppose that I could have posted this in the autograph section just as easily, but I think it fits this thread the best.

I'm glad to add this vintage signed HOF Gaylord Perry no-hitter ticket stub from September 17th, 1968. I purchased it from net54 newer member Scott Murphy in the BST. FYI, Scott is a nice guy and a pleasure to deal with.

The ticket arrived today and there was an added surprise. Here is the 1969 SF Giants letter that accompanied the ticket when it was returned signed and personalized to the lucky patron named "Mike" that attended the game. Apparently Mike had sent his ticket stub from the game to the Giants and asked if it would be possible to get Gaylord Perry to sign it.

Perry's no-hitter was noteworthy in that he was one of the few pitchers in 1968 that bested fellow HOF pitcher Bob Gibson. 1968 was dubbed the "year of the pitcher" by many in baseball and Gibson's amazing 1.12 ERA in '68 was one of the major reasons that the mound height was lowered beginning in 1969, again returning some of the balance of power to the hitter.

Many thanks to Scott for allowing me to add this to my no-hit ticket collection.

Last edited by Scott Garner; 06-07-2014 at 02:48 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 06-07-2014, 04:15 PM
bender07 bender07 is offline
M@rk Cl@ry
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Syracuse
Posts: 917
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Garner View Post
I suppose that I could have posted this in the autograph section just as easily, but I think it fits this thread the best.

I'm glad to add this vintage signed HOF Gaylord Perry no-hitter ticket stub from September 17th, 1968. I purchased it from net54 newer member Scott Murphy in the BST. FYI, Scott is a nice guy and a pleasure to deal with.

The ticket arrived today and there was an added surprise. Here is the 1969 SF Giants letter that accompanied the ticket when it was returned signed and personalized to the lucky patron named "Mike" that attended the game. Apparently Mike had sent his ticket stub from the game to the Giants and asked if it would be possible to get Gaylord Perry to sign it.

Perry's no-hitter was noteworthy in that he was one of the few pitchers in 1968 that bested fellow HOF pitcher Bob Gibson. 1968 was dubbed the "year of the pitcher" by many in baseball and Gibson's amazing 1.12 ERA in '68 was one of the major reasons that the mound height was lowered beginning in 1969, again returning some of the balance of power to the hitter.

Many thanks to Scott for allowing me to add this to my no-hit ticket collection.
Very cool Scott. Did he sign it "Gay"? I've never seen that before.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 06-07-2014, 04:34 PM
sox1903wschamp's Avatar
sox1903wschamp sox1903wschamp is offline
Michael S
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 904
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter729 View Post
1916 World Series program (Boston variety) - a very tough program to find in any sort of condition.

Plus, this is scored from the 14-inning complete game performance by Babe Ruth!
Congrats Scott. Awesome pickup.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 06-07-2014, 04:44 PM
Scott Garner's Avatar
Scott Garner Scott Garner is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Midwest
Posts: 5,404
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bender07 View Post
Very cool Scott. Did he sign it "Gay"? I've never seen that before.
Mark,
Thanks to both you and Ben. Perry did sign it "Gay". This was something that was typical for Perry in the earlier part of his career. I have a scored program from this game that was signed one week after the no-hitter and he signed it "Gay" as well, FWIW.

Last edited by Scott Garner; 06-08-2014 at 04:35 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 06-07-2014, 08:21 PM
Forever Young's Avatar
Forever Young Forever Young is offline
Weingarten's Vintage
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Fargo, ND
Posts: 1,921
Default

Love the pickup Scotty and looking forward to seeing you at the National again this year?!

I have picked up this 8x10 shot of Ruth used for his 1928 candy card. It is from the Christy Walsh estate. Clearly I love photos(for many reasons). I do love when they are used for cards. I had some quick "paint fun" with the third pic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg waterruth.jpg (55.2 KB, 334 views)
File Type: jpg 10458361_662477290497573_762718922980584682_n.jpg (34.7 KB, 334 views)
File Type: jpg candycardphoto.jpg (8.2 KB, 335 views)
__________________
[i]"When you photograph people in colour you photograph their clothes. But when you photograph people in B&W, you photograph their souls."
~Ted Grant


Www.weingartensvintage.com

https://www.facebook.com/WeingartensVintage

http://www.psacard.com/Articles/Arti...ben-weingarten

ALWAYS BUYING BABE RUTH RED SOX TYPE 1 PHOTOGRAPHS--->To add to my collection
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 06-07-2014, 08:24 PM
BBSD BBSD is offline
Barry Blumenfeld
member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 114
Default

That Foxx bat has some serious patina. Nice piece Master!
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 06-07-2014, 08:56 PM
thecatspajamas's Avatar
thecatspajamas thecatspajamas is offline
L@nce Fit.tro
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Franklin, TN
Posts: 2,351
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Young View Post
I have picked up this 8x10 shot of Ruth used for his 1928 candy card. It is from the Christy Walsh estate. Clearly I love photos(for many reasons). I do love when they are used for cards. I had some quick "paint fun" with the third pic.
Sweet! So is that "wood added" painted onto the surface of the photo? Guess they didn't want the kid in the image for the card. I'm not usually a fan of "edited" photos, but in this case, with it clearly showing that this is THE photo used for the card, I'll make an exception Very cool!
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 06-08-2014, 02:29 PM
Forever Young's Avatar
Forever Young Forever Young is offline
Weingarten's Vintage
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Fargo, ND
Posts: 1,921
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatspajamas View Post
Sweet! So is that "wood added" painted onto the surface of the photo? Guess they didn't want the kid in the image for the card. I'm not usually a fan of "edited" photos, but in this case, with it clearly showing that this is THE photo used for the card, I'll make an exception Very cool!
It is added(it is in transit so that's all I got).
__________________
[i]"When you photograph people in colour you photograph their clothes. But when you photograph people in B&W, you photograph their souls."
~Ted Grant


Www.weingartensvintage.com

https://www.facebook.com/WeingartensVintage

http://www.psacard.com/Articles/Arti...ben-weingarten

ALWAYS BUYING BABE RUTH RED SOX TYPE 1 PHOTOGRAPHS--->To add to my collection
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 06-08-2014, 03:08 PM
UnVme7 UnVme7 is offline
N@te
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1,211
Default

1985 Stan Clarke game worn Blue Jays jersey. Yep, he stunk, but these Blue Jays pullovers have real nice eye appeal.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (74.8 KB, 403 views)
__________________
Always Buying game used BATS

A portion of my collection on photobucket:

http://s556.photobucket.com/user/nde...33684576403752
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 06-08-2014, 03:09 PM
UnVme7 UnVme7 is offline
N@te
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1,211
Default

Back
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (75.2 KB, 403 views)
__________________
Always Buying game used BATS

A portion of my collection on photobucket:

http://s556.photobucket.com/user/nde...33684576403752
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 06-08-2014, 03:12 PM
UnVme7 UnVme7 is offline
N@te
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1,211
Default

2010 Adrian Beltre game used bat. Cracked for a single on 4/22/10 against his current team, the Rangers

1984-85 Dave a Winfield game used bat. Tremendous use with his custom tape job mixed in with a nice coat of tar.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (83.7 KB, 405 views)
__________________
Always Buying game used BATS

A portion of my collection on photobucket:

http://s556.photobucket.com/user/nde...33684576403752
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 06-08-2014, 03:13 PM
UnVme7 UnVme7 is offline
N@te
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1,211
Default

Pic 2
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (81.5 KB, 406 views)
__________________
Always Buying game used BATS

A portion of my collection on photobucket:

http://s556.photobucket.com/user/nde...33684576403752
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 06-08-2014, 08:13 PM
ruth-gehrig ruth-gehrig is online now
Mich@el K. Tr0tnic
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 1,526
Default Reach Baseball Sign Circa 1910

I'm pretty excited to add this advertising piece to my collection! There's a neat manufacturer's note on the back saying that "these signs cost us big money to produce and if displayed as intended they will increase sales. If not going to be used kindly return to us so they can be used elsewhere." The bats and player are embossed so they stand out a bit more than the rest of the sign for a more dynamic effect. Really neat piece of baseball advertising.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_2014-06-08-19-08-22-1.jpg (19.7 KB, 383 views)
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 06-08-2014, 08:26 PM
MGHPro's Avatar
MGHPro MGHPro is offline
Matt
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: NJ
Posts: 1,179
Default

Awesome Sign ! Great pick up
__________________

Matt Bub13@aol.com
Always looking for 40k Kork Grip Bats, Babe Ruth, Honus Wagner, Ty Cobb, Lou Gehrig and Joe Jackson Bats & Gloves
http://oldbaseballbats.webs.com/
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 06-09-2014, 06:38 AM
bobfreedman bobfreedman is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 976
Default Sign

Michael, awesome sign, I had one and sold it a couple of years ago and I have regretted it since, In fact, yours has nicer graphics than mine did. I ended up doing a bit of restoration to it to remove the rust. Do you mind me asking where did you pick it up? Congrats

Last edited by bobfreedman; 06-09-2014 at 06:39 AM.
Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
June Pickups tbob Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions 223 07-02-2014 07:07 AM
June pickups soxinseven Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions 250 06-30-2012 07:05 PM
June pickups wfubob Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980) 67 06-30-2012 09:44 AM
June Pickups MilBraves Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980) 27 07-02-2011 09:44 PM
June Pickups Robextend Football Cards Forum 6 06-09-2011 10:09 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:44 PM.


ebay GSB