NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you give an opinion of a person or company your full name needs to be in your post. Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 08-12-2007, 09:22 PM
Administrator

Default What is the rarest Topps card?

Posted By: D. C. Markel

OK, here's something that's currently up for auction on the Toppsvault:

DESCRIPTION: 1977 Topps Baseball Card 4-Color Film Positive! Geo. Brett (RB). Direct from the legendary Topps Vault, this auction features an original 4-color film positive for this player's 1977 Topps Baseball card. Color separation film positives were used in the set's printing process. This auction features the black tone positive. Four different colors: red, blue, black and yellow are used in this process. This rather unique collectible measures the standard 2 1/2" X 3 1/2" and overall, is in excellent condition with only minor surface wear. All Topps Vault auction lots come with a certificate of authenticity. Collectors, please visit our other pop culture and sports auctions on eBay today!

There's tons of cards that have been released in the past several years like this. As mentioned earlier, I've seen '67 Pirates Test Stickers with only one plate color used.

Old 08-12-2007, 09:26 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anthony

Looks like Seaver and Gibson were hanging out with Lou Burdette a bit.

Old 08-12-2007, 09:57 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul

The Seaver is from the Topps vault. They sold off another one which I believe had only one color. Mine is missing at least the black ink. I wish I could find one that had all the colors, but I've never found one and I have been looking.

I think Anthony is right that both Seaver and Gibson were doing their best Lew Burdette impersonations that year. I emailed the Topps Vault when I purchased the card to see if they had any more information, but they didn't. I think this picture is much nicer than the boring portrait that Topps actually used for Seaver in 1968. I assume that someone in quality control must have figured out what was going on and substituted the portrait for this card.

Old 08-12-2007, 10:35 PM
Administrator

Posted By: dennis

Old 08-12-2007, 10:53 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Lichtman

Anthony -- thanks!